Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-14-18, 03:53

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Food for thought: The science and politics of nutrition

Quote:
Food for thought: The science and politics of nutrition

Event and live stream

Join us on this page to watch the live stream of Food for thought: The science and politics of nutrition on the 14 June from 13:30 and all day on the 15 June. Please note: all timings are in Central European Time (CET).

Nutrition, which is often neglected, is one of the biggest drivers of the global epidemic of chronic lifestyle diseases, including obesity and diabetes. However, the evidence base for dietary advice is beset with poor quality science and unresolved controversy.

To improve the science of nutritional advice, the BMJ (formerly the British Medical Journal) and the Swiss Re Institute will jointly publish a series of articles under the banner of “Food for thought: The science and politics of nutrition.”

Swiss Re believes that improved nutritional advice will lead to better health outcomes and greater societal resilience against lifestyle diseases.
Don't miss out on this opportunity to join nutritional researchers and interact with leading experts in the fields of medicine, research and public policy backgrounds. Together, we can reclaim the nutritional debate for science and evidence-based research.

http://institute.swissre.com/events...hought_bmj.html

Some interesting speakers, including Aseem Malhotra, Nina Teicholz, Zoe Harcombe and Gary Taubes
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-14-18, 09:37

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Panel Discussion starting this minute. Sarah Hallberg is on the panel, and got a longer intro because she hadn't spoken before. Great questions from some brilliant scientists in the audience...Nina T, Darish M., A Malhotra, etc.

Panel discussion on "Low carb high fat diets: Public controversies and opportunities"
Moderator: Fiona Godlee, Editor in Chief, The BMJ

Panellists:
Sarah Hallberg, Medical Director and Founder, Indiana University Health Arnett Medical Weight Loss Program, Indiana University Health
Michael Lean, Chair of Human Nutrition, University of Glasgow, and Consultant Physician Adjunct Professor of Human Nutrition, University of Otago, New Zealand
Matthias Schulze, Professor and Head of the Department of Molecular Epidemiology, German Institute of Human Nutrition
Jennie Brand-Miller, Professor of Human Nutrition, The University of Sydney
Roy Taylor, Professor of Medicine and Metabolism, Director of the Newcastle Magnetic Resonance Centre, Newcastle University

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Jun-14-18 at 10:03.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-14-18, 10:14
Registered Member

Plan: Keto + IF
Stats: 260/300/165 Male 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: -42%

This looks interesting. Thanks for posting.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-18, 04:47

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

I stayed up late tonight to listen to the second day's panel:

Panel discussion on "Food politics and policy"
Moderator: Navjoyt Ladher, Head of Scholarly Comment, The BMJ

Panellists:
Sonia Angell, Deputy Commissioner, New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene
Nita Gandhi Forouhi, Professor of Population Health and Nutrition, Programme Leader & Consultant Public Health Physician MRC Epidemiology Unit, University of Cambridge School of Clinical Medicine
Günter Hemrich, Deputy Director a.i., Nutrition and Food Systems Division, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
Nina Teicholz, Science Journalist and Author; Executive Director of the Nutrition Coalition
Martin White, Professor and Director of Research, Food Systems and Public Health, Centre for Diet and Activity Research, University of Cambridge

Outside of Nina fighting the good fight (as she always does) for evidence-based guidelines, much of the rest of the panel discussion I personally found to be a bit lacking. Too much time talking about secondary issues like sodium consumption vs blood pressure, whether labelling of certain foods as "diabetic" foods are discriminatory to diabetics, and the extent to which the environment should be taken into nutrition policy consideration.

The audience questions were a bit of a mixed bag too; my favourite question was "how can members of the public contribute to the public health discussion in their area," but nobody remembered to answer it at all, as the questions were being asked three at a time for some reason.

Overall, slightly disappointed. I wish I'd caught the first day's panel, did anyone else see that one?
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-18, 05:52

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I saw a bit of it. What stood out most for me was Walter Willett criticizing Zoe Harcombe for saying that a 30 percent increase in heart disease due to red meat "didn't matter." Which is nonsense, she didn't say that increasing heart disease didn't matter, she said that the increase in heart disease just wasn't established by the sort of science that pays Willett's bills.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-18, 06:01

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Willett is one with a salary dependent on an agenda. His reaction is consistent.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-18, 14:11
Registered Member

Plan: Carnivore-ish
Stats: 265/255/190 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Darn, it's over.. I guess the time difference is large and it's evening over there now.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-18, 14:40
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pashta
Darn, it's over.. I guess the time difference is large and it's evening over there now.

The replay is on their YouTube channel.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-18, 22:43

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Went looking for the videos, found ScottTheTruckDriver and his review of day 1 panel instead. Ever fell in love at first sight? Well, that kinda happened to me with that guy. He's kinda like me, all cynical and stuff. Seriously, he's like an unbridled version of me.

Anyways, after watching his review, I'm not sure I want to suffer through those lengthy videos, and maybe end up with a deep desire to smash my screen. Well, I have a history of smashing my keyboard and mouse on a few occasions for less.

So, here's my question. Did the panel and stuff provide any of you with anything of value at this point? Like a different point of view or a greater understanding of the various problems and stuff like that. For example, when Sarah talked about the importance of adherence in experiments, I already knew about that, she simply reminded me that I already knew that.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jun-16-18, 00:26

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
So, here's my question. Did the panel and stuff provide any of you with anything of value at this point? Like a different point of view or a greater understanding of the various problems and stuff like that.

In short, not really.

I just watched one of the first day's panels on YouTube. I definitely found it more interesting than the second day's panel as they managed to keep the discussion mostly on topic here, that topic being the pros and cons of LCHF. But about the only things they could all agree on to some extent is that diabetes can be reversed, and that there's more than one way to do it.

Sarah Hallberg had her say on the panel, and there were good points offered by Nina Teicholz, Aseem Malhotra and Mark Hyman from the audience. But then you had panelists like Michael Lean, who actually tried to claim that obesity is the cause of diabetes and the proof was that when people lose weight, their diabetes clears up. I heard that and I literally facepalmed.

Still, there were some entertaining moments. One audience member tried to claim that Atkins causes a bunch of conditions, to which Sarah simply replied "based on what data?" And then there was the impromptu audience survey, where the moderator asked for a show of hands on how many people are eating LC vs HC. The answer was something like lots vs 1...

Update: here are the full day-long replay links: Day 1, Day 2

Last edited by Grav : Sat, Jun-16-18 at 00:59.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jun-16-18, 06:35

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I looked at the list of speakers and decided I was not really interested. There were the people whose opinions I value and those whose opinions I'm not interested in. I might listen to John Ioannidis about bias in nutritional research because that perspective is important if the field is ever really going to move forward. I could be accused of being heavily biased in favor of low carb but my bias is based on my n=1 results which is sufficient to inform me of what to do. Listening to those whose bias goes in the other direction just infuriates me and I prefer to not be infuriated.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jun-16-18, 09:28

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I watched the first moderated panel, and it was so poorly moderated with panelists seething about provocative statements and one-upping one another, that it was useless in value. It's clear that agreement on what is healthy and the ability to craft a statement that helps the population achieve health with a sound nutritional approach has been and will continue to be a challenge. Today we have camps with some who are committed to a WOE based on results of N=1. Looks like that will continue, and when I hear cardiac health improvements confidently linked to consumption of vegetable seed oils and the elimination of trans fats, the reduction of red and processed meats, and the reduction of saturated fats, I hear an underlying pervasive disagreement among many "experts" that serves no purpose for moving forward.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jun-16-18, 15:19

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Started watching the day 1 link that Grav posted. It's like 5+ hours of video so will definitely take some time to get thru.

I've watched the first three speakers' presentations. Definitely don't agree with all the "details" any of them presented but I do agree with the overarching goal of the conference which was to bring people with differing views together to talk calmly and rationally about nutrition and try to figure out what they do agree about (based on scientific evidence) and what they can at least agree needs further scientific research before any sort of definitive statements can be made.

Obviously, if I expect those who disagree with me to own up to their biases (i.e., ADMIT that they are biases and not "absolute truths") then I need to be willing to do the same thing. Of course, it is really hard to SEE one's own biases!

The individual talks were interesting. I was encouraged to see that even a speaker who clearly was all for a more plant-based diet was willing to admit that low-carb-high-fat was good for diabetics.... at least in the short term. She still had her doubts about the safety and efficacy of LCHF for long term but, what the hey, accepting the results of now uncounted experiments that show LCHF benefits diabetics is at least a step in the right direction.

I'm hopeful that the panel discussions will continue in the same rational vein.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jun-16-18, 18:47
Registered Member

Plan: Carnivore-ish
Stats: 265/255/190 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyHW
The replay is on their YouTube channel.

Sure, but it's UNLISTED for some reason. If you don't have a link, you cannot watch it.

I went and found links and will provide them here for everyone:

Day One Food for Thought Conference

Day Two Food for Thought Conference
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jun-16-18, 21:43
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pashta
Sure, but it's UNLISTED for some reason. If you don't have a link, you cannot watch it.

I went and found links and will provide them here for everyone:

Day One Food for Thought Conference

Day Two Food for Thought Conference

Thanks, I had them in open tabs but then lost them when I closed my browser. Then I noticed they were unlisted. Not sure why they did that.