Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-03, 23:18
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 365/-/150 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 19%
Question Low Carb in Singapore

Hi All,
I just posted over in the Locals section but since no one had been there since Jan I'm double posting. Hope that doesn't break the rules.
My company is giving me a temp 6 month assignment in Singapore and I'm concerned about being able to eat low-carb there. Do they have sugar subs like equal or splenda? Do they have diet sodas or am I finally going to have to give them up? Has anyone traveled in that part of the world as a big person and do you have any advice for me? I'm sure I'll stand out in a crowd .
Do you have advice on where to shop for food? Thanks for any help you can offer. Ellen (aka LNGIRL)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-03, 23:30

Plan: Atkins,PP
Stats: 202/147/120
BF:
Progress: 67%

hello i am a singaporean and in fact you dont have to worry about not being able to find splenda/equal or diet sodas. you can go to supermarkets like "Cold Storage" where they cater more for the foreign expats...they have more foreign imports that may suit you.

where are you going to stay during your 6 mths assignment in singapore? usually the expats are mostly concentrated in southern area...but more and more foreigners are moving to other housing areas in singapore.

basically u still can do low-carb when u cook your own food. eating out is still a problem for me coz most of the food courts still have those rice and noodle dishes. the best places would be those restaurants/cafes serving steaks....seafood....

a pity to say that a lot of great singaporean food are laden with carbohydrates. but when u are in singapore, you should try some local dishes...whats more there is an annual food festival now...

btw, singapore is still having the SARS virus so do remember to take precautions before u arrive....

just let me know if u got any more queries! i'll be glad to help.

#3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-03, 23:39

Stats: 180/174/168
BF:17.4%
Progress: 50%
Default singapore girl

Hi ladies
Im married to a singaporean and I lived there for 8 years, I now live in Honkers -the home of the SARS Virus, Chicken Flu, and many other germs I agree that Singaporean (SQ) food is very sugary and starch based however it is the most westernised -cosmopolitan city in Asia, and not ant different to living in say Tampa Florida where there are as many Asians...
You should try :
Hainanese Chichen (it comes with veggies without the Rice)
Black Pepper Crab (Ah Hoi's restaurant at the Traders Hotel in Cuscaden Rd)
They also do great fish dishes
Chicken sate, beef sate, careful,as some is marinated in sugar, clams, king prawns, great chicken curry and tandoori chicken go to Scotts food court they have an Indian Food stall with great kebab, tandoori fish, chicken etc
Order Prawn noodles or clay Pot tofu and just leave the noodles.
Good luck and let me know if you want any reccommendations
Diet stuff.... loads of it !!

Richard

Last edited by aisha : Sat, Apr-05-03 at 23:43.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-03, 23:49

BF:

you know my colleagues always ask me why i leave the noodles behind.....they think i am wasting food

Quote:
I agree that Singaporean (SQ) food is very sugary and starch based however it is the most westernised -cosmopolitan city in Asia, and not ant different to living in say Tampa Florida where there are as many Asians...

i have not lived in hk so in fact i didnt know in comparison Singapore is most westernized. Plus, that fact about Tampa makes me surprised too....so what about California?
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-03, 00:13
Registered Member

Stats: 365/-/150 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 19%

Wow, thanks for the quick responses! I'm glad to know some of the places to go. I am concerned about the SARS thing, but expect that the company won't insist I go unless SARS has been controlled better than it is now. I don't worry about being in Singapore but about having to fly and being confined and breathing that recycled air. YUCK!! I don't know where I'll be living yet, but will be using public transport so hope it'll be in close. All those details will be settled later. As far as eating low-carb in CA. More and more restaurants are aware of low-carb so when you ask for substitutions they are very accomodating. Of course sometimes when you ask for vegies you get a plate of carrots and they are way too high carb for me to eat a lot. Mostly I cook at home. I love Chinese food, but most of it is sugary here too. This forum is so wonderful, you ask a question and people from around the world answer. Don't you love it? Take your vitamins and be careful of that SARS virsu.
Ellen
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 06:19

BF:

thanks Ingirl....i have been taking more vitamin C recently.....

but the virus is still quite scary....another 2 victims had died of the virus today...my work area is just beside a hospital...and usually some commuters will hold their breaths whenever the train fetches passengers from my train station...

it's the first time Singapore has been so seriously affected. business around has been bad too...except for people selling Dettol, face masks....

My office canteen food isnt that fresh as before; today i bought a bun from a bakery.....eehhh not that fresh too...

do keep me updated Ingirl...~
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 07:35

Stats: 180/174/168
BF:17.4%
Progress: 50%
Default SQ wife agrees

yep my missus confirms SQ is much more cosmo than Hk.and a hell of alot cleaner, people are smart too (iq)due to your education system thanks to
mr lee what cant you get in SQ in terms of low carb food they even have a hard rock cafe, burger king -none in hk !!
and its alot cleaner than california and sterilised, no sars problemo there in a couple of weeks this will all be over as the yanks will now find a cure the chiese govt didnt want to have to ask for help but had no choice
soon will be bye bye 4 sure
ingirl check out
www.channelnewsasia.com for news on SQ sars