Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 11:38
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%
Default Many Want to Lose Weight, but Few Diet or Exercise

Many Want to Lose Weight, but Few Diet or Exercise
Tue Feb 12, 1:48 PM ET

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - While many overweight people claim to have a strong desire to shed excess pounds, most do little to achieve this goal, a new study suggests.

Researchers at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota report that only one in three people who are trying to lose weight, and one in five people trying not to gain weight, follow the widely recommended approach of at least 150 minutes of exercise weekly and reduced caloric intake.

A staggering 61% of American adults currently meet the scientific definition of overweight or obesity, putting them at increased risk of heart disease, diabetes, stroke, arthritis, depression and several forms of cancer.

In their study, published in the February issue of the journal Mayo Clinic Proceedings, Dr. Thomas E. Kottke and colleagues evaluated the weight goals and control strategies of 1,224 men and women living in Olmstead County, Minnesota.

Nearly 66% of men and roughly 48% of woman said they were overweight, while about 73% of the men and 85% of the women said that they were currently trying to lose weight or to avoid gaining weight.

"The average weight loss goal for individuals trying to lose weight was 23.4 pounds for men and 28 pounds for women," the authors report.

In spite of those goals, only one third of men and women trying to lose weight and one fifth of those trying to avoid gaining weight actually cut their food intake or reported exercising for at least 150 minutes each week, Kottke and his team write.

"This indicates to us that, in addition to clinical programs that provide skill training and reinforcement, affordable, tasty foods of low energy density need to be both available and promoted to the population," the authors write.

Also, the researchers add, "a physical environment that permits and promotes physical activity for everyone needs to be developed, maintained, and enlarged over time to match population growth."

Like other US residents and many others worldwide, the authors state, Olmsted County residents are "experiencing an obesity epidemic." Fighting this epidemic, they conclude, will require efforts by both individuals and their communities.

SOURCE: Mayo Clinic Proceedings 2002;77:114-121.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...12/hl_nm/diet_2
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 11:40
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Interesting how you can spin anything into what you think is right. After all the statistics and numbers shown, what's the conclusion? Promote low-calorie diets and foods.

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 19:52

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Re: Many Want to Lose Weight, but Few Diet or Exercise

Quote:
Many Want to Lose Weight, but Few Diet or Exercise

I think part of the reason that people have given up on dieting is that at a subconscious level they know it doesn't work. They've done it before and are now fatter than they were before dieting.

The reason I couldn't abide exercise in all those years of low-cal/low-fat dieting was that I had no energy. I would "hit the wall" soon after starting because I wasn't getting enough protein and fat.

When will they finally admit that the same old solutions that have been thrown around for decades aren't working?