Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-01, 20:42

Plan:
Stats: //125
BF:
Progress:
Smile

HELLO ALL. I AM A NEW USER AND NEW TO THIS LOW CARB DIET STARTING TODAY!!!!! HOPING IT WORKS FOR ME. ANY SUGGESTIONS ON MEALS TO EAT? I AM 177 AND MY GOAL WEIGHT IS 125, IT SEEMS SO FAR AWAY...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-01, 22:43
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Welcome aboard Sue!

We have lot's of suggestions! Check Karen's recipes (link in the red menue above). Also check the Tips section for the article "Jazzing up your induction" and also our recipes section and Low-Carb Kitchen.

Let's here from you and your cooking adventures!

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-01, 22:57
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Sue,

Have you read one of the low carb books that are out there? Protein Power or Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution. They have complete guidlines on what you can and cannot eat.

When I first started LC, I made a list of all the foods I liked to eat that were low in carbs and made my meals out of them. It really helped me get used to carb counting because I had the carb count and measurement beside each ingredient.

Your goal weight is not so far away.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-01-01, 07:22

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Thanks guys! I don't have a book.. I was actually going to see if they had one at the library. But I do have a book that tells me the nutritional value of food and I also have a scale for food to count ounces and so on. Is it right that you can not have more than 20 carbs a day? Bye for now!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-01-01, 07:34
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default hi Sue, welcome aboard

Good idea to hit the library! They should at least have copies of the most popular books -- Atkins New Diet Revolution, Protein Power and Carbohydrate Addicts. It might be helpful for you to read several books .. .. The various plans allow for different carb levels. Atkins is the most popular, but the most restrictive in the beginning. Yes, that one allows for only 20 grams total carbs during the first 2 weeks, called "Induction". After that time, you slowly increase the carbs in 5 gram increments, to a maximum level that allows you to still burn fat, and lose weight gradually. Most folks average at around 30 carbs per day, some more, some less. You'll find what works for YOU.

Do check out the rest of the Tips articles (click on the red menu bar at the top of every page), especially LowCarb Basics, and Frequently Asked Questions. They should be helpful for you too.

Take care, happy lowcarbing ..

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-01-01, 16:12

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

How am i doing!! This is what I ate today.

2 pieces of healthy choice sausage
2 eggs
1 piece fat free swiss cheese
water

lunch

3 steakums with melted 1 piece fat free swiss cheese
2 tbsp A1 steak sauce

dinner

salad
iceburg lettuce
quarter of medium tomato cut up
1 grilled chicken breast
some chopped mozzerella cheese
4 green olives
ceasar dressing

water

1/2 a cup of cottage cheese

1 can diet tea

Are you aloud to drink diet Tea and diet root beer? Both have 0 carbs... By the way Diet root beer tastes just like regular rootbeer and Kroger big K Koolers diet tea is great.

#7   ^
Old Wed, May-02-01, 16:04
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

hi Sue Bee, I'm afraid to say, this is an "oh dear" menu, from a lowcarbin' point of view. ..

Ok, here we go -

- 2 pieces of healthy choice sausage - chances are, "healthy" translates as low FAT. Bet these have flour, wheat crumbs and/or some other starch to reduce the fat content. Real honest to goodness sausages, pure meat with no fillers are much lower in carbs. Do check the ingredients on the label.
- 2 eggs - perfect
- 1 piece fat free swiss cheese - modified starch and dextrose added, at least 3 carbs per 3/4 oz. slice -- use real cheese from now on, the kind you have to slice yourself
- water

lunch

- 3 steakums with melted 1 piece fat free swiss cheese - again, watch for starch and crumbs used as fillers in those pre-made burgers. You can buy 100% beef burgers ready-made into patties in the fresh meat department; they freeze just fine, and are handy to cook for quick meals. And there's that fake cheese ...
- 2 tbsp A1 steak sauce - way high in carbs, 3 per Tbsp for regular, 5 per Tbsp for the "bold"

dinner

- salad
iceburg lettuce
quarter of medium tomato cut up - tomatoes can be carby, 1/4 of a medium should be ok
1 grilled chicken breast
some chopped mozzerella cheese
4 green olives
ceasar dressing - make sure to use the regular type, ie NOT light or diet or ultra-light. Kraft, for example is 0.7 gm per Tbsp for the regular type, light is 2 carbs, and the fat-free is 5 carbs per Tbsp!

water

- 1/2 a cup of cottage cheese - cottage cheese is ok, make sure to buy the 4% type - 1/2 cup is 4 carbs. The lower fat types have higher carbs (rule of thumb, with dairy products, higher fat = lower carbs, low fat or fat-free = high carbs)

1 can diet tea

Are you aloud to drink diet Tea and diet root beer? Both have 0 carbs... By the way Diet root beer tastes just like regular rootbeer and Kroger big K Koolers diet tea is great.

In general, diet soft drinks are ok, in moderation, and as long as you aren't sensitive to any of the ingredients. Some lowcarbers report that the citric acid in diet pop and teas, etc slows and even stops the weight loss. Plus, the sweet taste can trigger cravings for sugary treats in some people. If they're not causing any troubles, no reason not to enjoy now and then ..

Sue, you really need to be a label reader. Know what's in the food you buy. I'm not sure what lowcarb program you're following -- if you haven't done so, it would be good to get your hands on at least one of the program books to give you some guidelines. Another thing that is very helpful is a food counts book. Corrine Netzer's "Complete Book of Food Counts" is excellent, and even has fast food counts too. Or, you can use the USDA nutrient database, http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl , just type in the food, and enter.

Good luck to you, and happy lowcarbing. Keep us posted of your progress ..

Doreen