Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-19-15, 16:51

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%
Default Oprah is starting a new diet and she has a lot of money in it

Quote:
Oprah Winfrey will buy 10 percent of Weight Watchers International Inc. and join its board, giving the struggling provider of weight-loss programs a jolt of star power as it works to fend off cheaper digital rivals.
... As part of the deal, Winfrey also has signed up with a Weight Watchers program and will share her experiences along the way.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-in-partnership
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-19-15, 18:06

Plan: , LCHF
Stats: 259.6/222.4/130 Female 62 inches
BF:67.2/60.2/normal
Progress: 29%

Good for her. She has struggled with her weight for so long, I hope WW is her solution.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-20-15, 07:37

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

From her behavior she's not interested in a solution, and really prefers the churn of the diet roller coaster. There's more money in that and LOTS of followers. WW is perfect for that.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-20-15, 07:52
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seejay
From her behavior she's not interested in a solution, and really prefers the churn of the diet roller coaster. There's more money in that and LOTS of followers. WW is perfect for that.

Ha! Well said!!

Based on some of the comments in other online articles, many people have little to no respect for her now.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-17-16, 14:59

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seejay

Agree completely.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-20-15, 08:01

Plan: Primal/Paleo Atkins
Stats: 197.5/126/132 Female 63
BF:19.4%
Progress: 109%

I have tons of respect for her b/c she keeps on trying. As a now 70 y.o. woman who struggled w/weight all my life and finally found my solution at age 64, I know all too well how it felt to fail and fail and fail and keep trying.

Personally, I don't like WW because of their additive laden food, but I hope she finds a solution that works for her.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-30-15, 06:26

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/166/147 Female 5ft 5ins
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by janjfree
I have tons of respect for her b/c she keeps on trying. As a now 70 y.o. woman who struggled w/weight all my life and finally found my solution at age 64, I know all too well how it felt to fail and fail and fail and keep trying.

Personally, I don't like WW because of their additive laden food, but I hope she finds a solution that works for her.

I imagine like many of us, she values her size and health above wealth! Everybody wants to be NORMAL and COMFORTABLE in their own body!
We have found something that works and is manageable long term. Like Janjfree I hope Oprah finds the same.
She will only find it herself. So many do gooders will be trying to get her on their wagon though. I guess I might be tempted, not by the money but by thinking this step might just be the one that helps me crack how to maintain the weight loss. I wonder if that is the real reason she is making it so public.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Dec-30-15, 13:55

Plan: LCHF <20g
Stats: 206/182/170 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by janjfree

I agree with you Jan. I did weight watchers years ago with success, but I was doing it low carb, and staying within the Weight Watcher's plan. Then when our leader left and we got a new one, she brought in a cake for us to one of the meetings!!!! This was right before dinner time and I was starving. That was about as crazy a thing as I could think of her doing.

She was also preaching about the importance of eating carby cereal every morning. I had to quit!!

Also their 2 point treat bars made me son hungry I could barely stand it, they were triggers for me almost eating the whole box.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Dec-30-15, 17:07

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Just for the record, I did WW back in the 70s when it was quite new. Somewhere around here I probably have Jean Nidetch's original book. Back then, the menu (as I recall) consisted mostly of cottage cheese, canned tuna, and raw vegetables. I'm sure that's why I avoid tuna to this day.

I liked our WW leader, but those weigh-ins were awful. I achieved my goal weight and my Lifetime pin. Guess they'll let me in for free if I come in at my goal weight now. I'd actually like to try that!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Dec-30-15, 20:16

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
I achieved my goal weight and my Lifetime pin. Guess they'll let me in for free if I come in at my goal weight now. I'd actually like to try that!

How delightfully fiendish!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Oct-20-15, 08:25
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Years ago - after seeing Oprah's 2nd or 3rd weight loss/regain cycle -- I remember thinking... "Wow, if a billionaire - with all of her resources - cannot figure out how to take the weight off and keep it off, then what hope do I have?" The multitudes may have no respect for her, but I actually feel for her regarding her weight issues. I can certainly identify with her struggle. She just happens to be a very public example of the futility of traditional "dieting" as the means to maintaining a healthy weight. All the money in the world will not buy more willpower. It won't keep you from raiding the pantry or the fridge when the cravings call and you can no longer resist.

Unfortunately, WW is a willpower heavy 'diet'. I know I could not do it. I tried it for about 6 months and lost only 25 pounds -- starving every day. Perhaps it has changed some since I last tried it in the early 90's. With this resource boost, WW could really have an impact if they could just 'see the light' and reformulate the diet to put carbs in their place. One can only dream.

Last edited by khrussva : Tue, Oct-20-15 at 13:09.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Oct-20-15, 08:51

Plan: keto ancestral/IF
Stats: 330/189/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I hope she's successful. I think the problem with Oprah is the experts with which she surrounds herself. Sure, you can eat the way Dr. Oz or WW tells you to and lose weight, but it's not an easy road and recidivism runs high. Perhaps the problem with having billions of dollars and being on the weight loss roller coaster is that you have access to any expert in the world, so you choose those with the most conventional wisdom.

I'm lucky. I'm not a billionaire, so I didn't have the luxury of finding the "foremost authorities." I had to look for myself, so it lessened the "noise" coming from all the others.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Oct-20-15, 09:01

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I think the stock prices of WW went through the roof yeserday after they announced her investment.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Oct-20-15, 09:07

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Oprah cycles but I think she's kept off quite a bit of weight since she first lost a lot of weight which is a victory any day in my book. If you lost 100 pounds and regain 60, that's better than many people do.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Oct-20-15, 09:27

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

I commented on this in my journal this morning. I also admire Oprah for many reasons. But this latest investment is surely an investment in personal motivation. It will work, for as long as Oprah works it. She has to for the next several years anyway.
Quote:
She just happens to be a very public example of the futility of traditional "dieting" as the means maintaining a healthy weight. All the money in the world will not buy more willpower. It won't keep you from raiding the pantry or the fridge when the cravings call and you can no longer resist.
We all know that every weight loss plan works. Oprah has shown us most of them. But sustainability is almost superhuman.

Just as an aside, I believe that "obesity" as a chronic challenge is way different from "losing a few pounds" that you may have put on during the ordinary course of life. Oprah, like many others, has way more than a CI/CO problem. She won't solve it with Weight Watchers.

Best wishes.