Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#76   ^
Old Fri, Dec-04-09, 11:29
Registered Member

Plan: IF with LC
Stats: 245/217/160 Female 6'
BF:
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
I was at our local (mostly vegetarian) food coop recently, wiping crumbs off the countertop so I could put my food down. "They say gluten can cause OCD," I told them...

That cracked me right up.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Fri, Dec-04-09, 11:43

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

OK, I'm in. I probably won't post every day, but I'll be around. Just got back from the grocery store where I bought all the sale meat! My receipt said I saved $17.50 on the price of all the meat! You can't beat it when your ribeyes, Porterhouses, and filet mignons are $3 or more off each!

Ooooo! And they have my Kerry Gold Irish Butter stocked again! I bought 12 packages (each package is the size of 2 sticks). Next time I go I'll buy at least 12 more. I just throw them in the freezer. Yum. I never want to be without at least 6 or 8 in the freezer at any one time ... in addition to the 2 I always have in the fridge.

#78   ^
Old Fri, Dec-04-09, 11:46

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

I know what you mean. I was at the butcher picking up my regular order, which is about $80 for a week's worth of meat for a family of 5. Sometimes I get something extra so I might spend as much as $150. I got excited about the pork shoulder and the spare ribs, so I got about 6 pounds of each. Altogether I had so much meat I could barely carry it - 30 or 40 pounds. But the total was just $105! The pork shoulder was something like $1.39 a pound.
  #79   ^
Old Fri, Dec-04-09, 11:46

Plan: Atkins Ind. + exercise
Stats: 209.0/200.6/155 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

Glad to hear you have joined the club. I am a newbie too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench

Ooooo! And they have my Kerry Gold Irish Butter stocked again! I bought 12 packages (each package is the size of 2 sticks). Next time I go I'll buy at least 12 more. I just throw them in the freezer. Yum. I never want to be without at least 6 or 8 in the freezer at any one time ... in addition to the 2 I always have in the fridge.

I love real butter. Back in the days when I had bread regularly it wasn't necessarily the bread I wanted...it was the butter slathered on top.
  #80   ^
Old Fri, Dec-04-09, 12:08

Plan: ZC/VLC
Stats: 243/220/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 22%

Quote:
Rid me of my OCD?!?!?!?!?!?! But, that's my security blanket!!!!!

Do any of you rely on coconut bark (coconut oil, cocoa, and a bit of sweetener)?

What about pemmican?

No one worries about getting too many calories? Fat, heavy cream, coconut oil add up quickly.

Geez. I sound like a newbie! I've been low-carbing since 1998, for gawd's sake, much of that time very-low carb.

No rules? Really? I'm not sure I can do that!

Hmmmm. Maybe I should go to the old thread and glance through it.

Bawdy- I am a newb- almost 3 months in. I felt like I had to go zero carb because of bingeing issues on LC. With that, I would not allow myself any coconut bark. The sweet taste would set me off. Veggies set me off. On Thanksgiving my sis made me califlower faux potatoes and asparagus and on Sat I had a binge.
The only rule I have followed is to eat what I enjoy when I am hungry. At 1st that was ribeyes, followed by a love affair with beef ribs, and now I eat chicken wings every day. Bacon almost always is a snack.

I don't worry about calories right now because I have alot to lose and the diet really kills my appetite. On LC I would always be wondering what I could eat next and on ZC I eat meat til I am full and it is quite a long time before I am hungry again.

I want to make pemmican some day. I thoroughly cook my meat and I am worried about nutrients that I may be killing off by overcooking. Pemmican would eliminate the cooking and would be an easy food to have around.

I am 47 but have not hit menopause yet so I can't help you there
  #81   ^
Old Fri, Dec-04-09, 12:15

BF:

Actually, from the recipes I've seen, the beef in pemmican is baked a good long time, like 10 hours or more on the lowest oven setting you can get. But I'm no expert ... not by a long shot!

I agree that when I'm really low- to zero-carb, my appetite goes away. It's just those first couple days again getting the carbs out of my system and getting ketosis started again. I shouldn't really have that hard a time; I'm very low carb as it is.

You said you're three months in. Other than Thanksgiving and your one "binge" afterward, have you stuck pretty close to plan? How much have you lost?

Last edited by BawdyWench : Fri, Dec-04-09 at 12:23.
  #82   ^
Old Fri, Dec-04-09, 12:19
Registered Member

Plan: Zero carb
Stats: 214/205/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 11%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotGal
ZC killed my bipolar disorder, and all PMS symptoms..
i am a normal female with no mood swings.
i owe it all to ZC.
stop your fussin', get on the boat with us and watch your body thin down..
and thanks for the compliments.
my kids tell me everyday how good my skin looks.
my kids are in awe that i have slowed the aging process.

now THIS gives me hope!

I'm usually a bitchy mess....ready to jump down anyone's throat right before TOM, but this morning it came without any PMSing....gotta love it.
  #83   ^
Old Fri, Dec-04-09, 12:27

Plan: ZC/VLC
Stats: 243/220/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 22%

Quote:
Actually, from the recipes I've seen, the beef in pemmican is baked a good long time, like 10 hours or more on the lowest oven setting you can get. But I'm not expert ... not by a long shot!

I agree that when I'm really low- to zero-carb, my appetite goes away. It's just those first couple days again getting the carbs out of my system and getting ketosis started again. I shouldn't really have that hard a time; I'm very low carb as it is.

You said you're three months in. Other than Thanksgiving and your one "binge" afterward, have you stuck pretty close to plan? How much have you lost?

The little I have read about pemmican said that that temp does not really cook it, just removes the water. It will still be better than my well done that I eat now!

Yes, other than those 2 days, I have stuck to plan. Sometimes I am lazy and eat sausage(I know that has a little corn syrup, but I can't find any without). I have lost 30#- actually today the scale said 32-33, but I am waiting for 35# to claim it. I am hoping for my 3 month anniversary on 12/11!

Me not bingeing has truly been nothing less than a miracle. I had a very stressful summer and was trying to commit slow suicide by eating myself too death. I still have the same stress, but on ZC I am not driven to eat carbs to "feel better"
  #84   ^
Old Fri, Dec-04-09, 12:44

BF:

You're right. It's more drying the meat than baking it. See? Told I was no expert!

Any way you cut it, 30 pounds in 3 months is AMAZING!!! Way to go!

I haven't weighed in for a bit, so I'll do that first thing tomorrow morning to get a good start. I know I'm up above the 175 it shows in my profile; maybe 185. I hope not any more than that.
  #85   ^
Old Fri, Dec-04-09, 13:04

Plan: carnivore
Stats: 315/197/165 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:

No one worries about getting too many calories? Fat, heavy cream, coconut oil add up quickly.

Quite the opposite, really. Because the fat is so satiating, I find it really hard to eat more than 1300 calories per day. An average day is between 1000-1200 if I'm tracking on Fitday. I'm simply not hungry! And I don't force myself to eat by the clock if my body's not telling me to eat something. So sometimes I eat 3x per day, sometimes it's just twice. I have hungry days, and I have days where it's 4pm and I go...oh! I've only eaten about 300 calories today. I feel that if my brain isn't constantly telling me "Eat, eat, eat" (and it will, if I'm carbing), then I don't feel the need to do it.

I only have about 2 shots of 18% cream in my coffee per day, and that's it for dairy for me. (Although I did sneak a sliver of the mozzarella cheese ball I bought for my family.) Coconut oil doesn't seem to do much for me. I stick with plain ol' butter and bacon grease.
  #86   ^
Old Fri, Dec-04-09, 13:08

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodg4kat

On a related note, I don't usally eat breakfast because I already get up at 5:30 and food is unappealing that early in the morning...just coffee with cream. I ate this morning, a couple slices of cheese and turkey wrapped up together...and now I am nauseous. Icky.

So don't eat right away, silly!! Pack it up, put it in a cooler bag so it stays cold, and eat it when the mood hits you. That's what I'd do. Yesterday, breakfast didn't really appeal (and I was too busy to stop anyway), so I ended up having burger patties from BK at 11am for "breakfast".
  #87   ^
Old Fri, Dec-04-09, 13:10

BF:

I don't know why I'm asking all this. It's not like I haven't done it before. Maybe I just want to see if the current thinking is any different from what it was in the past.

I cook with bacon grease. I tried coconut oil, but didn't like the taste or the spattering, and I've tried both the expensive kind and the cheap kind.

The first couple days are always the hardest, until deep ketosis kicks in. Today I'm very hungry. I had a protein shake for breakfast made with 1 scoop of powder (1 carb, 26 grams protein), 1/2 cup coconut milk, and 2 egg yolks. Then about an hour ago I had a Philly cheese thing (sort of like a mock danish). Dinner will be steak with butter.

Hubby will be out of town for a week beginning Sunday, so this is a good week for me to get it under my belt again.
  #88   ^
Old Fri, Dec-04-09, 13:11

BF:

My duck is in the oven. *excited* Can't wait!
  #89   ^
Old Fri, Dec-04-09, 13:16

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sln88
The little I have read about pemmican said that that temp does not really cook it, just removes the water. It will still be better than my well done that I eat now!

I have learned from dehydrator ads that drying food preserves even more nutrients than freezing.

I finally made a decent pemmican this fall. It was sun-dried on the grill for a day or so, then finished in the convection oven (probably at below-optimal temperature) for a few more days. Although my drying method was comically awkward, it came out very good in the end. After I did it, I was reading something Lex Rooker wrote. He said he only designed his cardboard-box dehydrator because he wasn't able to dry his meat on a clothesline like he did as a kid! I think next time I will rig up a sort of clothesline...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sln88
Sometimes I am lazy and eat sausage(I know that has a little corn syrup, but I can't find any without).

I make my own sausage (fresh breakfast sausage, no casings) because I can't handle mystery ingredients. I get ground pork from the butcher with extra fat mixed in, I make a spice mix in the blender, and then I mash them all up together and freeze it in patties. My kids go nuts for it, and it's one of my favorite foods.
  #90   ^
Old Fri, Dec-04-09, 13:19

BF:

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of coconut oil either. I used to cook my eggs in it, but it just doesn't taste right to me. Coconut milk on the other hand, I could drink that like water. I've got a can in the cupboard that we've been saving for some kind of curry. When I started this, it was just supposed to be a meat & egg fast (nothing but meat, eggs and water) for a week or so. And I lost like, 10 pounds. So that was encouragement enough to keep going.

I can't do cheese. I can have it in very, very, very small amounts. But a tablespoon of cream cheese will stall me every time. Which is a shame. I do love cream cheese.

The hungry phase will pass pretty quickly. For me, it took about 3 days. The exhaustion took a lot longer, but I'm starting to come out of it. I can climb the flight upstairs at home now without feeling the need to take a nap. lol. That's a big improvement. And just for fun, every now and then I break out the ol' ketostix to see where I'm at. I'm very purple.
Closed Thread