Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-05, 13:35
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Jell-o a la Cherries Garcia

The devil finds work for idle hands!

Jell-o a la Cherries Garcia
Makes 5 -1/2 cup servings

1/3 cup whipping cream
1 1/2 tsp. each Splenda and Canadian Sugar Twin or
2 Tbsp. Splenda
1 1/2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1 1/2 oz. unsweetened chocolate
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract

1 - 4 serving-sized package sugar-free cherry flavoured Jell-o
8 oz. cream cheese, cut into small cubes - a 250 gr. package will do
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup cold water

Heat the whipping cream to a boil and remove from the heat. Stir in the sweetener, then add the chocolate and butter. Stir until the chocolate melts. Stir in the vanilla and pour into a small pan. (Lining the pan with parchment will make it easier to remove the chocolate.) Place in the freezer until hardened, about 1/2 hour.

Place the Jell-o in a bowl and add the boiling water. Stir until the Jell-o is dissolved. Add the cream cheese and let sit for a few minutes to soften. With a blending device, (hand blender, electric mixer, whisk, food processor, or blender) mix until smooth. Add the cold water and mix again. Return to the bowl and refrigerate, stirring occasionally, until the Jell-o is the consistency of softly whipped cream.

Remove the chocolate from the pan and chop into small cubes. Fold into the Jell-o mixture and smooth the top. Chill until firm, about 4 hours.

Per Serving
Effective Carbohydrates: 3.4 g; Carbohydrates: 4.7 g; Fiber 1.3 g; Protein: 5.6 g; Fat: 30 g; Calories: 303

Made with Splenda only, Effective Carbohydrates: 3.8

Last edited by Karen : Mon, May-09-05 at 21:53.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-05, 14:48

Plan: SB
Stats: 205/176/150 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 53%

Oh dear........that's my favorite flavor of B&J's AND I think I have all the ingredients for this at home right at this very moment!! This is definitely going on the top of my "TRY IT" list - just wish I didn't have a big condo meeting tonight or I'd whip it up tonight!
Thank you so much for posting this, Karen.
Sue

Last edited by teddymom1 : Mon, Mar-07-05 at 15:00.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-05, 19:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/131.7/132 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 101%

This recipe sounds really delicious and I may try it. Could it be frozen? How long would it keep just in the fridg?

Cheers. Ruth
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-05, 20:11
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
Could it be frozen?
Yes, but it would thaw miserably. You can always eat it from its frozen state.
Quote:
How long would it keep just in the fridg
It would probably start to get watery after 3 days.

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-05, 20:31
Anyone?? Bueller?

Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

Oh WOW! This looks fantastic Karen! Thanks!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-08-05, 16:29

BF:

I made this last night before my meeting and had a very small portion after I got home.........It's WONDERFUL!! I didn't have the cherry jello, so used a raspberry as I had that on hand. I am going to try freezing one of them and have it as a treat tonight when I'm watching the Amazing Race on TV. I'll report on the texture of the frozen portion tomorrow.
Thank you again, Karen for coming up with this recipe. It's definitely the variety of foods that I get from this forum that keeps me motivated and moving in the right direction!
Sue
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-09-05, 01:14
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
I made this last night before my meeting and had a very small portion after I got home.........It's WONDERFUL!!
Cool!

I came up with this because I wanted to make a quick dessert for a dinner. I had one package of cherry Jell-o and one of lemon. Neither is my favourite - which is probably why they were still kicking around. It so happens that they were sitting beside the chocolate in the "dessert fixins'" cupboard and Cherries Garcia came to mind.

I'll be interested to find out how it is frozen.

Karen
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-09-05, 08:55

BF:

OK, I froze 1 serving last night and had it as my 'treat' for the evening. I have to say that without a doubt, Karen, you have a winner on your hands! It had a few crystals once it was frozen, but it was more like the B&J's ice cream. Personally, I could eat it either way and be happy.
I will only be able to make this once in a while, because I think I would have a tendancy to eat more than my share! Maybe next time I will put the entire recipe into a freezer container and then use my ice cream scoop when I want something sweet & yummy. (it's all about portion control with tasty treats like this!) I'm also planning on using your chocolate recipe, adding some nuts and make my own LC chocolate bars! I used a bit less sweetener and I got a slightly bitter dark chocolate....YUMMM
Thanks again for the recipe - it's a hit with me!!!
Sue
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-14-05, 15:58
WannaHaveFun

Plan: protvegfatprotvegfatprotv
Stats: 183/165/155 Female 67 in
BF:
Progress: 64%

ignore this msg. from an SF-jello newbie--will be back later to report how it worked for me. so far I know it was all worth it--so much fun licking the chocolate mixture from the utensils!

Last edited by sunpines : Mon, Mar-14-05 at 16:05.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-05, 09:49

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 170/166.5/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default Very good!!

After reading this post I immediately printed off the recipe and made it after work. It was fantastic! I did, however, use a sugar free chocolate bar I had in the house instead of making my own chocolate in the freezer - not because I'm lazy, but because I didn't have all the ingredients to make my own. Either way, it was fabulous!!

Thanks for the recipe, Karen.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-05, 10:31
Forum Founder

BF:

You're welcome!

Karen
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-05, 10:48
Anyone?? Bueller?

Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

I made this last week and it was fabulous Karen, thank you! I used a Splenda sweetened dark chocolate bar in place of the homemade choc, plopped the mixture into 8 muffin cups, and froze them.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-05, 16:54

BF:
Default Picture/Saga

Thanks Karen for the recipe. I had fun making it. Yikes. It took me about three hours from beginning to end. Maybe the saga below will explain why it took so long. I took a digital picture and put it in my avatar because I don't know how to post a picture to my post any other way.

Saga: Well it took me a few weeks to get the caullebaut chocolate which I finally found at Whole Foods. They didn't have it the first time I tried. I had to buy a new pint of whipping cream because I started so long ago, the "use by" date had expired.

Ok. I'm set. I thought I'll try my Braun Whipper/Blender which I got with points at Savon years ago and never used. I sit down with a cup of Kabuse No.1 Green tea and read the instructions. AArrgh. Very complicated, but I continue. I try to assemble the blender and find that the whipping disk is missing. I call the Braun service center in North Van who gives me an 800 number. I call and a very helpful man will ship the missing part and I should have it next week.

Not to worry. I'll just use my hand held blender which is about 30 years old, and I have to hold the plug in to use it. But it gets the job done.

I discover that the 250 gm package of Philadelphia Cream Cheese is 8 3/4 Oz., so I use it. Wow, is it ever hard to cut the cheese into small cubes without sticking together. I call their 800 number but the nice man can't help me. Can anyone in the forum? Well, I do it somehow.

Everything is working. It takes about two hours for the mixture to get to the consistency of softly whipped cream. It seems light but I use it anyway and it works.

The only small pan I had is a 5 x 9 x 3 inches deep cake pan. It works. I get a nice layer 1/4 inch thick. I can't easly get the chocolate out of the pan, so I cut 1/4 inch strip across the width and then the length with a bread knife.

I used my 1/4 cup ice-cream scoop to transfer the mixture to my muffin tin.

I can't imagine anyone is still reading this far. If someone is, thank-you. I did enjoy the whole process and the result is worth it. One good thing that happened was I had exactly 1 tsp. of vanilla. Lucky me.

Cheers. Ruth

Last edited by Karen : Thu, Mar-24-05 at 18:35.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-05, 16:56

BF:

Thanks 4Beans4me for suggesting the muffin pan. I had thought of using ice cube trays and maybe will in the future to get tiny treats.

Ruth
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-05, 18:31
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
Saga: Well it took me a few weeks to get the caullebaut chocolate which I finally found at Whole Foods.
Superstore and the Gourmet Warehouse have Callebaut.
Quote:
Wow, is it ever hard to cut the cheese into small cubes without sticking together. I call their 800 number but the nice man can't help me. Can anyone in the forum?
You can heat the knife under hot running water or use dental floss, plain flavoured only.

Karen