Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Mar-11-01, 21:07
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Hi Wendy,

You mean the "notification" email? This usually goes to anyone who clicked on the "Email Notification" option when posting a message. It's pretty handy for those who want to know when there's a new post to a topic/thread they follwo, and can be turned off as well in the "Profile" options.

It's really cool to have your mom on board!

Wa'il
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Mar-11-01, 22:15
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile hi lizzy38numberonewendysmom

Welcome aboard. I can understand your concerns about blood lipids and the connection with saturated fats. Liz, that connection is a myth, propagated by the same folks who tell us we need to eat more lowFAT foods and yet we are getting fatter, and more and more diabetes and in young kids too. I could go on and on, but I confess to you my brain is fading at the moment from exhaustion. However, I will leave you with some thoughts.

1. All of my paternal relatives have died due to heart disease and cholesterol problems, except one aunt, and she is diabetic and has angina. Three years ago, my brother, then 46, had a massive heart attack, and underwent emergency quadruple bypass. He had no history of heart problem or angina, but had high blood pressure and a constant yo-yo battle with obesity since his twenties. Anyway, he followed lowFAT religiously, and took Lipitor. By last August, he weighed more than before the heart attack, and his cholesterol had skyrocketed to 9. I'm sure you know the cost of Lipitor, $400 a month at least. He was terrified that what happened to our dad was going to happen to him. So, he figured he had absolutely nothing to lose, and told his cardiologist he was stopping the Lipitor, and starting the ATkins diet. In 4 months, he lost 30 lbs, and his cholesterol dropped to 6. His triglycerides improved also. His cardiologist has documented my brothers case, and is using lowcarb diet and niacin to treat some other patients as well.

2. If you click here , it will take you to a post from another member who has corrected her cholesterol with lowcarb.

3. Click on The Cholesterol Myths, by Dr Uffe Ravnskov, MD, PhD. It's a real eye opener.

Anyway, nice to say hello to you. Take care, all the best to you with your new WOE, and all the best to your hubby too. Look forward to hearing of your success....

Doreen
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Mar-11-01, 22:30
Forum Founder

Doreen's reply reminded of a great old post on this issue (fat/cholestrol):

http://www.lowcarber.org/forum/show...s=&threadid=269
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Mar-11-01, 22:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%

Hey Wa'l,

Yep I know that and I helped my Mom through the whole register thing ma jig too...lol.

She isn't getting any emails from here when someone posts and this surprised me? I am, but not her, she didn't even get my reply

Wendy so wanted to show her how things operate...lol

Thanks Wa'l

Ok, now's the time to ask, feel like we're friends now...hehehe..or will be, what in heavens name is Wa'l?
Is Wendy pulling another dumb dumb or what? LOL

Wendy
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Mar-11-01, 22:43

BF:

Gosh,

Doreen, I was really pleased that you replied to my Mother, she is truly doubting things due to her worry naturally, and Wendy here is just learning like her! I was finally able to get her here

Hey Wa'l,

Gotta love Doreen She is just full of information, I want to bring her home!

Oops, don't get me wrong, your all full of information! Got to like having an RN aboard too though I do believe we have another RN here too...Tina I think?

Wendy
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Mar-11-01, 22:46
Forum Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by numberonewendy
She isn't getting any emails from here when someone posts and this surprised me? I am, but not her, she didn't even get my reply

This is probably because she didn't click on the "Notify me" button. This can be set to yes by default by changing the option in the profile as well.

Quote:
Ok, now's the time to ask, feel like we're friends now...hehehe..or will be, what in heavens name is Wa'l?

Beleive it or not, it's my name. Quite a common name in the middle east Unlike "Tamarian Shepherd" which I use for the internet nickname, from startrek "Darmok" episode.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Mar-11-01, 22:50

BF:

No kidding...oops....figures Wendy has to ask something like that...LOL..

Doesn't surprise me though...LOL

Take care Wa'l ,

Better head up to bed now, way past my bedtime....

Wendy

I love this board, bunch of great people here

#23   ^
Old Mon, Mar-12-01, 16:43
lizzy38

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up

To all who responded I am very grateful:

Thank you for all the information you have given me. Hoping to share more with you as soon as possible. Still reading and trying to absorb all of it.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Jan-04-05, 15:16

Plan: my own...like SouthBeach
Stats: 280/174/145 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default intro

Hi, this is my first post.....(hi Carol, I'm from Manitoba). Well, I have lost 106 pounds since May 2004, with a low carb diet. I have 28 more to go to reach my goal weight. I started by omitting white flour products and all sugar. I then started to only eat my complex carbs in the form of vegetables and the occasional fruit. I'll eat a whole wheat product once every 4 weeks or so....other than that, I stick with chicken, fish and veggies. The weight has come flying off finally. I also go to Curves 5 times a week and walk between 3-5 miles a day. I of course take a calcium supp. and a multivitamin every day. Well, thats my story! Glad to have found the board.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Jan-04-05, 23:21

Plan: 1
Stats: 110/110/110 Female 111
BF:
Progress: 74%

I hope you get this post! Click on the link and follow the directions to open a Journal! http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdis...daysprune=&f=36

Let me know if you have any problems. It might be kind of hard for anyone to find you in this thread so the Journal is the thing to set up!!!