Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-10-18, 07:45

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%
Default Poor mitochondrial function and depression?

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releas...80809112438.htm

Quote:
New theory may explain cause of depression and improve treatments

A new area in depression research suggests dysfunction in mitochondria -- the main source of energy for cells -- could lead to major depression. Published in Frontiers in Neuroscience, this new insight to long-held theories on the causes of depression could lead to the development of novel and more effective antidepressant drugs.

Depression is a highly prevalent disorder affecting up to 20% of the population. It is commonly thought to be caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain, yet the specific biological mechanisms which lead to depression are not fully understood.

"Until now, most theories about the biological causes of depression have focused on the idea that depression is caused by an imbalance in neurotransmitters like serotonin," says Dr Lisa E. Kalynchuk, co-author of the review from the University of Victoria, Canada.

"However, antidepressants can increase serotonin levels almost immediately, yet take weeks to have a therapeutic effect on the symptoms of depression. This suggests serotonin is unlikely to be the root cause of depression."

Most antidepressant drugs used today are the same as those developed more than 50 years ago. In addition to the delayed onset of effective symptom relief, antidepressants only work in around half of patients -- and often have adverse side effects.

The team recognized the necessity for new and more effective treatments for depression. However, before new drugs can be developed, it is necessary to first understand the cellular causes of depression.

"Despite extensive research efforts, there is still a fundamental lack of understanding about the specific biological changes that give rise to depressive symptoms," explains Kalynchuk.

To better understand how depression arises, the researchers looked for specific causes within the brain cells. This led them to a small organelle found within brain cells called mitochondria. Mitochondria are the main source of energy for cells, but they also help to regulate brain function.

"Animal models showed that depression is associated with the decreased generation of new cells in the hippocampus -- a region of the adult brain known to regulate emotion, mood, cognition and stress," says Kalynchuk.

"As these are all implicated in depression, this originally led us to think that depression was caused by the deficiency in new cell generation. However, this theory does not explain all the research findings because depressive symptoms can occur in the absence of this deficiency.

"What we do know that this process is metabolically demanding and requires a lot of energy. This led us to suspect mitochondria as the root cause of depression, as they provide energy for cells."

The researchers believe the dysfunction of mitochondria can lead to a cascade of effects which result in depression. This idea offers new opportunity for the development of new antidepressant drugs which can normalize mitochondria function.

"This would be a completely novel approach that has little to do with what current anti-depressants are doing," says Kalynchuk. "It will take time to fully explore these ideas, but we hope it will open doors to new areas of research in the depression field and lead to the development of more effective antidepressant medication."

The research is part of a special article collection on mitochondrial dysfunction and neurodegeneration (http://www.frontiersin.org/research...rodegeneration).

They're excited about drugs. But the premise is a pretty good argument, at least for a keto nerd, for studying the ketogenic diet versus depression.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-10-18, 08:08

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releas...80809112438.htm

They're excited about drugs. But the premise is a pretty good argument, at least for a keto nerd, for studying the ketogenic diet versus depression.

You make an extremely important distinction in the potential ability to control depression by lifestyle modification versus pharmaceuticals. The following is very plausible and may be the key to not only energy availability at the cellular level, but an overall feeling of energy and increased positive feelings at the personal level:
Quote:
"What we do know that this process is metabolically demanding and requires a lot of energy. This led us to suspect mitochondria as the root cause of depression, as they provide energy for cells."

The researchers believe the dysfunction of mitochondria can lead to a cascade of effects which result in depression. This idea offers new opportunity for the development of new antidepressant drugs which can normalize mitochondria function.

This starts to make sense in my own N=1 experiences, as I am not prone to unrealistic highs or lows in mood or feelings, and I feel as though I have a stable emotional base from having practiced a ketogenic WOE. Also, we're finding that increasing mitochondria and improving mitochondrial function is a product of good diet and targeted exercise, a great combination for that purpose. Realizing the funding for these studies is prompted by the potential of creating new drugs to sell for these conditions, we can take advantage of these studies knowing it can be done by lifestyle as well without those annoying side effects that usually aren't discovered until the worst possible time after the drug has been approved and consumed.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-10-18, 08:25

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

One of the major benefits for me of this way of eating has been the virtual elimination of my lifelong depression. I'm not talking the garden variety of depression, feeling kind of low. I'm talking about can't get out of bed, can't function, don't want to live any more. No medication ever helped alleviate this. One doctor said that what I had was "treatment resistant depression" in other words the treatments offered didn't work. Luckily changing the way I ate is what worked. Drugs often have serious side effects. Lifestyle change has had no significant down side for me. From what I have read the way I am eating should be improving my mitochondrial function, which I first saw mentioned by Dr Terry Wahls. Wouldn't it be nice if big pharma didn't drive most research?

Jean
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-10-18, 09:13

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Thanks Jean for sharing your life experience with depression.

I had one bad spell of depression, a combo of issues like a tough and crappy job ( stress) which led to no reason to be happy thoughts, and down spiraled from there. The drugs did not help. I took other steps. First get off the drugs. Then find ways to be happy, one thing at a time, and learn to laugh. Fake it , til I make it mode. Then addressed exposure to sunshine, first in th winter months, then all year long.

My son and I have a natural tendency toward mild depression. At times SAMe has been very helpful. Otherwise maintaining friendships and having fun is important. I cant tell you why these work, but they do.

As for mitochondria, when I went down the rabbit hole looking at keto and fasting, I hit upon the rejuvination of the mitochondira and restoring it to full health via fasting.

Food is the medicine, or rather the periodic absence of. No drugs required.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-10-18, 09:48

Plan: LC/GF
Stats: 208/174/168 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

My sister has suffered with lifelong depression/bipolar disorder. She takes lots of meds. She also has Chron’s and ulcerative colitis—she suffers greatly there, too.

Since I, her sister, have a major gluten sensitivity (not celiac), I suspect wheat could play a part in her digestive problems, and possibly her depression also. But try to convince someone to let go of their beloved bread (and candy) for just three weeks, it is like casting them adrift to the ocean on a raft.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-10-18, 10:16

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Me
My sister has suffered with lifelong depression/bipolar disorder. She takes lots of meds. She also has Chron’s and ulcerative colitis—she suffers greatly there, too.

Since I, her sister, have a major gluten sensitivity (not celiac), I suspect wheat could play a part in her digestive problems, and possibly her depression also. But try to convince someone to let go of their beloved bread (and candy) for just three weeks, it is like casting them adrift to the ocean on a raft.

So right. Atkins addresses this head on!! If you cant give it up... then all the more reason to dump it forever.

WHen I read Atkins, I stopped making homemade bread. FOr years after DH made the breads for the holidays, later I felt I could trust myself to make but not eat a loaf. Now, we are all old and fat and dont eat bread at holidays. BUT MIL will never give up her bread.... oh nooooo......

I hope your sister sees the light someday......
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-10-18, 17:01
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Depression yes and Parkinson's too.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-17-18, 08:13
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'm using nicotinamide riboside to help with mitochondrial function. Also pterostilbene. Supposed to help with creating NAD. https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03432871
(If you decide to try it, don't buy Basis, it seems like it might be scammy).