Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-13-12, 19:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 238/222/140 Female 5'10"
BF:no clue. too much
Progress: 16%
Arrow The pasta demon

I was doing so well, too...I think I let myself get too hungry. There it was - staring at me - angel hair. The next thng I know, I'm shoveling it in my face. It's almost like I have no control over my hands and I go brain dead. Total zombie eating. I am so frustrated with myself. I want this to be a forever eating habit and I can't even make it 60 days! This s true addiction, I tell ya. Thank God I never did drugs! How do I overcome these stupid cravings?!?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-13-12, 20:07

Plan: Gluten Free, Low Carb
Stats: 205/200.2/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 9%

Everyone is different. I have to have no pasta, chips, crackers, or bread in the house. I'll put butter on top of crackers and bread and eat it like no tomorrow.. Pasta is the same. I'll consciously buy pasta with sauce and end up making it. I have to go to the store with a clear thought out list of what we *NEED* to buy for dinner the next few days and just go off of that. I find if I let myself go hungry, I do just what you do.. except since I don't keep those things at home, I find myself in a drive thru
The key is not being hungry and making your body want all those carbs. Fat is more satisfying and sometimes if I just want a snack, I'll grab meats or cheese or just a pat of butter because all are so good, filling for a snack, and pleasurable.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-13-12, 20:20

I stared down an entire bag of mini powdered donuts. I had tuna salad for lunch. I was the Jedi of carb-thwarting...or so I thought. Why does it feel so shameful when you give in? I guess the good thing is that I didn't have an all night binge, which would have been ugly. I was already thnking of what I could get my hands on next. I had some hot chai tea with some Splenda & heavy cream and that seemed to help a lot. Tomorrow is another day.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-13-12, 21:09

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 389.6/222.6/225 Male 6'2"
BF:24.6%
Progress: 101%

I know everyone's different, but I have a cheat meal probably twice a month. I accept that It may slow my weightless down. That's the trade off. But it keeps those craving demons in check. Don't worry, tomorrow is another day
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-13-12, 21:24

Stats: 278/215/180 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 64%

I'm only about a month in but the way to beat cravings is to just not eat the foods that cause them. I could never keep dorito's, doughnuts, or anything like that in the house so I just don't. It's easier for me though cause I live in my own house and although my brother lives here and my bf practically does, I say what comes in and out of my kitchen. I can understand how it would be hard for people who live with others constantly bringing junky carb loaded food in the house.

Maybe when you're feeling weak just don't even go into the kitchen. Or track your food so you can tell if maybe something you're eating is causing these cravings? Are you eating enough fat? I try to get to 70% but am usually around 65%. Any lower than that and I start thinking about carbs. Not really craving but thinking about them. Probably the first steps to a full blown craving.

Also, for me a cheat meal isn't wise. But I did have a wine induced run in with Jack in the Box on Super Bowl Sunday. I brushed it off the next day though and got back on track. I'm down 5 lbs for last week still! Going off plan is gonna happen. What matters is how quickly you get back on!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-14-12, 11:45

Plan: Keto
Stats: 208.8/208.8/150 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene1
Thank God I never did drugs! How do I overcome these stupid cravings?!?

This is exactly how I feel so don't feel bad. Last weekend I went to a party and completely binged on the mac n cheese. If it has pasta in it I want to consume it in full force. There's no reasoning and there's no weighing the options. I just dive in full force. I'm sure there has to be a way around this, but I haven't figured it out yet. Funny enough, I don't need sweets at all. I don't want cake, candy, or any of those things. But give me pasta and I'm a happy camper. SMH
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-14-12, 12:25

Default once again... defeated

Well, Happy Valentine's Day! I started great and then - I got to work. Cupcake on the desk. Box of chocolates. Expectant stares. I ate the cupcake. I bit eight chocolates in half. THEN, the boss-man orders lunch. Onion rings. Subs. Who am I kidding... Today is an "off" day for me. Tomorrow, I'm 'fat-fasting'. Two weeks before I go on vacation, I am not going to gain back the 15lbs I just lost. No sir. Not for a cupcake. Tonight, it's a salad w/ broiled salmon for me. No more carbs for the rest of the day.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-14-12, 13:23

Stats: 278/215/180 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 64%

Unless you're very metabolically challenged I wouldn't use the fat fast as "penance" for an off plan day. It's not healthy for most people and you could actually do your body more harm than good. Just eat normally but keep the carbs really low maybe watch the calories too. Be careful not to fall into a binge and purge cycle, no matter what form the purge takes.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-14-12, 13:39
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

It sounds like you need some tactics to deal with temptation at work. I'd suggest the old saying "Out of sight, out of mind" has a lot of value.

You also need to stand up to unvoiced "expectations" you're imagining people have. It is either a convenient excuse your brain is making for you or or else you need to learn to say, "No thanks", and make it stick. You don't even have to explain, or you can even make up a lie. Say you're allergic, you're diabetic, you're celiac, you have an upset stomach... whatever it takes. It's fine. You don't even have to provide an explanation; say "No thanks" or "I can't" and leave it at that.

Just get the temptations out of your line of sight and stick to your guns. The constant caving into temptation just makes it that much harder the next time.

Think of will power as a consumable resource. Sitting and staring at goodies is going to consume that resource and eventually you'll run out. Move it somewhere else, like the kitchen or to someone else's desk.

Best of luck!

Last edited by Nancy LC : Tue, Feb-14-12 at 13:46.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-14-12, 16:48

I thnk today was an exception, not an excuse. You're definitely right about the 'out of sight, out of mind' tactic. I do employ that method more often than not. I don't plan on making 'off days' a constant thing because that throws me completely off balance and rebounding gets extremely difficult. I know that I have not done any irreparable damage, my clothes are still loose-fitting and my energy is still pretty high. I'm good with it. I'm going to sit down tonight and make a meal/snack plan for myself for the rest of the week. It beats opening the fridge and just staring at the contents hoping something jumps out at me...
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Feb-15-12, 06:11

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Wheat is a drug. Read the book Wheatbelly if you need scientific papers that say so!

It has morphine-like effects on our brain.

So I do what any other addict should do; I stay away from it. Because once it touches my brain, I can't think right anymore. It's just the way the brain works... on drugs.