Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-29-10, 11:00

Plan: The Drinking Man's Diet
Stats: 294/264.2/120 Female 63 inches
BF:48%
Progress: 17%
Default "Overheating" olive oil

DANDR cautions not to "overheat" olive oil when cooking, but doesn't say how hot "overheating" is.

So I googled, and found all kinds of hits, including some claiming that if you overheat olive oil it puts out "TOXIC FUMES".

I found <a href="http://www.marksdailyapple.com/oil-fat-overheat-smoking-point/">this</a>, which was somewhat useful, but <a href="http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/CollectedInfo/OilSmokePoints.htm">here</a> is something better.

Basically, you don't want to heat your oil to the smoking point. If you have recipes which call for high heat, as I do, you'll want to use virgin olive oil instead of extra virgin olive oil.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-29-10, 12:36
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

I think ghee (clarified butter) would be as good or even better. It has a smoke point of 485°F (252°C). JMO.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-29-10, 14:38

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I use butter or coconut oil
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-29-10, 15:20

Plan: No idea
Stats: 145/-/125 Female 165
BF:
Progress: 125%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moselle
DANDR cautions not to "overheat" olive oil when cooking, but doesn't say how hot "overheating" is.

So I googled, and found all kinds of hits, including some claiming that if you overheat olive oil it puts out "TOXIC FUMES".

I found <a href="http://www.marksdailyapple.com/oil-fat-overheat-smoking-point/">this</a>, which was somewhat useful, but <a href="http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/CollectedInfo/OilSmokePoints.htm">here</a> is something better.

Basically, you don't want to heat your oil to the smoking point. If you have recipes which call for high heat, as I do, you'll want to use virgin olive oil instead of extra virgin olive oil.

That's really interesting why would virgin olive oil behave differently thatn EVOO?
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-29-10, 15:41

Plan: Dirty Carnivore
Stats: 150/128/128 Female 63"
BF:21%
Progress: 100%

I really respect lipid biochemist Mary Enig on anything concerning fats. She says:

http://www.westonaprice.org/The-Skinny-on-Fats.html
Quote:
Olive Oil contains 75% oleic acid, the stable monounsaturated fat, along with 13% saturated fat, 10% omega-6 linoleic acid and 2% omega-3 linolenic acid. The high percentage of oleic acid makes olive oil ideal for salads and for cooking at moderate temperatures. Extra virgin olive oil is also rich in antioxidants. It should be cloudy, indicating that it has not been filtered, and have a golden yellow color, indicating that it is made from fully ripened olives. Olive oil has withstood the test of time; it is the safest vegetable oil you can use, but don't overdo. The longer chain fatty acids found in olive oil are more likely to contribute to the buildup of body fat than the short- and medium-chain fatty acids found in butter, coconut oil or palm kernel oil.

It's probably not a good idea to overheat olive oil at all - evoo or otherwise. Tallow, lard, ghee and coconut oil would be better choices for high heat, as they are more saturated and thus more stable.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-29-10, 15:55

BF:

But there are dishes that just don't taste the same without OO. If overheating means smoking, then probably the OO can be added towards the end when the dish is nearly ready?

CO is good, but for me it goes only with specific dishes also e.g. seafood.

I was brought up on the attitude that OO is for cooking, butter is for eating butter is something we spread on bread with jam, etc, mom thought its a waste cooking with butter lol butter should just be enjoyed fresh.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-29-10, 15:56

BF:

Oh yeh, we also used OO for salads and such
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-29-10, 15:58

Well, I do have a Spanish cookbook that calls for frying meatballs in olive oil (nonspecific).
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-29-10, 16:02

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satya13
Well, I do have a Spanish cookbook that calls for frying meatballs in olive oil (nonspecific).

Haha sounds familiar lol - my mom spoilt my taste buds, fried eggs don't taste good to me unless they are fried in a bit of OO - butter and CO don't cut it for me

Chicken is the same, but if done in the oven goose/duck fat would do.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jan-29-10, 16:09

One thing that comes to mind is: Could you mix oo and something like tallow to make it more stable? Don't know, but I have done that. Makes me feel better, lol.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jan-29-10, 16:33

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satya13
One thing that comes to mind is: Could you mix oo and something like tallow to make it more stable? Don't know, but I have done that. Makes me feel better, lol.

Yes you can mix the 2 oils for stability.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jan-29-10, 17:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by black57
Yes you can mix the 2 oils for stability.

Oh good, thanks.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jan-29-10, 17:50

Plan: loosely PB
Stats: 197/135/000 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 31%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisal
I think ghee (clarified butter) would be as good or even better. It has a smoke point of 485°F (252°C). JMO.

I can see the Wikipedia says so, but many other sites say 375. Makes you wonder.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jan-29-10, 18:40

Plan: Carnivorous / WAPF
Stats: 168/152/145 Male 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

yes, you can cook with olive oil. but i wouldn't do it unless I were standing over it the whole time, because I don't trust myself to maintain a safe temperature. If you don't want to have to be so careful with it you can use just a trace of it to grease the pan and add the bulk of it after cooking.

Like most I discourage any sort of deep frying with it.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jan-31-10, 11:51

Plan: Primal
Stats: 150/145/140 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress:

Yep. Those unsaturated fats are reactive in a way that saturated fats aren't. The more double bonds in the chain, the more likely the fat is to form free radicals when it is heated. My rule of thumb is that if the oil doesn't need heating, like for salads, I'll use unsaturated fats (olive oil) and if I'm cooking, I'll use saturated fats (butter, coconut oil, lard).