Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-10, 20:20
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 217/210/145 Female 52
BF:
Progress: 10%
Lightbulb "Atkins is not what you want to do"

That is what my nutritionist said to me last week. I was on my 5th day of Atkins and lost seven pounds at that time. Meet with the nutritionist and he convinced me to do Atkins. He said he had patients do Atkins and they did poorly and their health suffered. He told me that pcos women do better on weight watchers. Of course he is a professional so I followed his advice. 4 days into weight watchers I binged eat the 3rd and 4th day and realize it just not what I can do. I gained 5 pounds back and am obsessing on food again.
I guess its me who "knows" my body and not a nutritionist. I am angry that he talked me out of something that worked!
I called him today. and asked him about modification to a LC diet and he said if I switch he cAnnot continue seeing me. I said ok and he rambled on how weight watchers is the best. But I am not going back. Now after I spent all that money I learn t my lesson. Listen to my body and not a "person" who I think has answers.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-10, 20:37

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 262.2/247.2/204 Female 5ft 1/2 inch
BF:
Progress: 26%

Juju, you do what you gotta do. not every plan is suited for everyone, pick something & just do it.

I myself have tried WW in the past, and said no, never again.
however, I know ppl who have great success on it.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-10, 20:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 289.0/280.2/250 Female 6ft
BF:
Progress: 23%

Whats with pushing the WW? Yes its an option, but is it the only option this nutritionist has for you? I would think they would have a variety of different plans for different patients. I would say that perhaps its a good thing you find someone who will listen more to your needs and questions.... not just my way or the highway kinda approach
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-10, 21:09
Independent Thinker

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 198/186/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

The trainer at my gym pushes WW too and says Atkins is horrible.

Not.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-10, 21:18

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

People are literally afraid of Atkins regardless of how it proves to be a healthy diet. I would bet that the patients who did poorly on the diet prabably did it incorrectly, didn't do it long enough for their bodies to adapt or do not exist. One thing for sure is there could not have been enough people to convince the nutritionist that the diet is dangerous. Me personally , would call the nutritionist on his/her claims. I would have said, hmmm, that's strange, I have so many friends that have done this who have reversed their diabetes, GERD, blood pressure, how can it be unhealthy for YOUR patients? Are you sure that they are doing it correctly ( afterall as a nutritionist that is her job ). The nutritionist is there to serve you, and should have truthful answers.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-10, 21:54

Plan: Gluten Free, Low Carb
Stats: 205/200.2/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 9%

Your nutritionist obviously knows absolutely NOTHING about PCOS. My own gynecologist recommended low carbing to me, as its really the only thing that works very well for women with PCOS, especially because of the risk of insulin resistance and diabetes.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-10, 22:05
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LStump
Your nutritionist obviously knows absolutely NOTHING about PCOS. My own gynecologist recommended low carbing to me, as its really the only thing that works very well for women with PCOS, especially because of the risk of insulin resistance and diabetes.

Darnit! You beat me to it!

I'm a women's health professional and LC is the first thing recommended.
Improve the insulin resistance, weight loss follows, menses resume, fertility returns (if you're PCOS & LCing and do not want to get pregnant make sure you are using a method of birth control ), risk for diabetes and hyperlipidemia decreases--it's all good.

What an idiot--and you can tell him/her that from me. If he/she is not a women's health professional tell him/her to shut his trap.

Perhaps he/she needs to pick up the new Atkins book???? NANY--New Atkins For a New You.

Progress not perfection.

Lisa
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-10, 22:26

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmLisa
...<snip>...Perhaps he/she needs to pick up the new Atkins book???? NANY--New Atkins For a New You.

Progress not perfection.

Lisa

Perhaps he/she needs to read one of them in the first place!!???? Doesn't sound like he's remotely familiar with the plan nor has any interest in learning about it. I sure would have asked his reasons for advising against it. And have been prepared to call him on any inaccuracies in his reasoning!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-10, 23:01

Stats: 145/120.5/110 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 70%

I paid a CBS news nutritionist who has written 2 books to have her associates help me lose weight. They turned me crazy...weighing everything, starving on 3 ounces of meat and then bingeing on nut butters and kashi bars because I felt so deprived. They badmouthed every type of fat that has flavor and you know what, I lost weight, only to gain it all back in 2 seconds flat. Forget that. Do what works for YOU. I like meat and whipped cream and cheese and diet rite and I don't like peanut butter and granola and olive oil...so you know what, I dropped her like a hotcake and I'm at the same weight I was when I worked with her.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Mar-08-10, 07:25

Stats: 261/187/140 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 61%

I'm sorry to hear that, what a jerk for screwing you up like that 7 lbs and he couldn't say congrats your doing something right, I bet he gets a commission for referals to Weight Watchers thats wierd thats the only LF diet he mention?? Don't listen to him please!!!! When I was first considering losing weight and getting my life back, I looked into lap band surgery I went to the seminar found it pretty expensive for me and I didn't have insurance but everyone said this is the only way. Then I went to the drs cause I got a cold later on that week and I mention the lap band to her, she was a sweet yet blunt DR. from Romania "so she didn't have that american charm lol" she said start walking and cut out sweets,breads,starchs she said eat more veggies and lean meats and drink water. I left thinking wow a Dr. that actaully told me I'm capable of doing this on my own without a surgery or some prescribed shake, so she basically told me to do low carb. I really think it's healthy. This always helps me, think about humans in the cave man days what did they eat what were are bodies designed to live on. Starbucks and a pastry or lean meats and veggies. Once you think about your body like that then it should be clear. We never were meant to eat bread sweets or any of that crap, so if it's not healthy to eat like are bodies were designed then something not right there. Hope that helps keep up the great work and stop seeing that lunny.. Come see us instead and guess what we're free.........
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Mar-08-10, 13:39

Plan: Keto (LCHFMP) + IF
Stats: 265/188/150 Female 61 inches
BF:Highest weight 290
Progress: 67%

Gee, wouldn't want facts to get in the way of their ideas. What a waste of your time.

My sister goes on and off of WW -- success and the regain. She and her friends eat a lot of WW frankenfoods because they only have "1 point." I am not sure how that is healthy (I'm not eating the Atkins frankenfoods either). When she isn't snacking on the 1 pointers, she is hungry. What is the point of that?
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Mar-08-10, 17:28

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

WW works very well for many people. Not that I've met one yet, but it seems to be very popular with my (still) quite overweight friends.

There's no way around it: if you're going to be on a weight management program, you're going to be counting something. Calories. Carbs. Protein. Fat. The WW points system is (from what I've observed) a way of controlling calories without actually counting them. But it doesn't really help people decide that a huge bowl of veggies is a better way of using points than a tiny bowl of ice cream.

It's just easier for me to manage what I eat on LC, and I consider it my baseline way of eating.

Whatever works...and keeps working for life.
P. S. I think a nutritionist worth the money would have a range of options for his/her clients, and be well-read in the latest dietary info, including Gary Taubes, Atkins, and even Dr. Oz.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Mar-08-10, 17:51

Plan: Skinny Me Diet
Stats: 345/212.5/210 Male 6'4
BF:
Progress: 98%

I actually know people that have done quite well with WW, and people that have done poorly with Atkins. I have never done WW, and have lost quite a bit on Atkins, and quite a bit on my own diet plan. The key to any diet(or WOE if you rather) is you must stick to it!

If you gained weight eating Mcdonalds sausage biscuits for breakfast and a large pizza for dinner, guess what? IF you return to that lifestyle, you will gain weight! It's not rocket science.

I think the reason SOME people like Weight Watchers and do well on it, it has a built in mechanism to cope with food "treats". You want chocolate cake? Then you can have it, at a cost(whatever the point value). So people on the program don't feel like a total failure when they do have the cake. You notice some of the posts on here where people struggle when they "cheat", because most low carb programs don't have a built in coping mechanism to rationlize the behaviour.

The fact is 98% of the people on this board will not continue the rest of their life eating a consistent low carb diet. And that is OK. The key to maintaining a healthy NORMAL lifestyle is not beating yourself up for a "treat" or a night out on the town. Instead, you must forget about yesterday and focus on today.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Mar-08-10, 18:40

Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

I think that WW has changed it's program and isn't the same as most of us remember. My friend is on it and she has lost over 40 lbs in about a year. But she looks terrible. Her color is greyish and she has gotten very wrinkled in the face and neck. Yes, everyone tells her she looks wonderful--clothed, her body looks 10x better, but I don't want to look wrinkled and dried up. I much prefer to eat the fats and lose weight gracefully.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Mar-08-10, 19:20

Plan: Lowcarb/IF
Stats: 215/173.9/150 Female 5.5"
BF:
Progress: 63%

All I remember from Weight Watchers is wishing desperately that I had enough points for just one more teaspoon of mayo for my sandwich with fat-free bread and fat-free turkey.