Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-25-12, 23:54

Plan: Avoid PUFA, sugar & bread
Stats: 240/210/150 Female 156cm
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default 9 meals a day lower cholesterol and help lose weight

9 meals a day lower cholesterol and help lose weight

Quote:
Eating nine meals a day could help lower blood pressure and cholesterol and even encourage weight loss, largely agreed experts. Eating little is often healthier for all. In latest study researchers from Imperial College, London, compared diet patterns of more than two thousand people from the US, UK, Japan and China.

Despite the fact that all study participants had the same calorie intake and food, half the study participants ate less than six times a day, while the remainder ate more than six times. Findings of the study showed that the first group had a significantly higher systolic blood pressure in comparison to more frequently eaters group.

Besides, they were also more heavy then others. Another study by researchers from the University of Athens that included more than two thousand children aged between nine and thirteen years, found that children who ate five times a day were thirty-three  percent less prone to have high levels of bad cholesterol than those who ate fewer meals.

Lead researcher Dr Susan Jebb, head of the Medical Research Council’s Human Nutrition Research Unit, explained splitting food intake to eat many times a day will have metabolic benefits over and above the same food consumed in a small number of meals. Now researchers are planning to conduct large trail involving patients with high blood pressure.

The study participants will be told eat either three or nine meals a day in order to evaluate the effects of the different regimens. In addition to that blood pressure, levels of insulin, glucose and fatty acids of all study participants will be recorded. According to one hypothesis frequent meals prevent a high influx of fatty acids.

These compounds are released from foods and can lead to a build-up of fats in the arteries, and also contribute to high cholesterol levels. Eating more frequently during the day means there are no sudden spikes of fatty acids, enabling the body to deal with the intake more effectively. Eating more frequently could also boost energy levels.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-26-12, 02:47

Plan: my own
Stats: 278/217/185 Male 5 feet 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 66%

yeh you gotta eat every 1-2 hours or your body enters starvation mode and you cannibalize all your muscle to preserve fat tissue. Make sure you get to bed with an I.V. drip pumping glucose into your veins too to keep your metabolism high while you sleep.

Bro, this is the cutting edge of science!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-26-12, 04:25

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

The article lost me when they talked about "high levels of bad cholesterol" - showed me they had no idea of the function of cholesterol in the body.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-26-12, 05:49

Plan: Non Specific - Just LC
Stats: 188/163/130 Female 5'4"
BF:46.65%/37.7%/23%
Progress: 43%

Bad science aside, I have enough trouble getting two meals a day into me, I couldn't imagine nine.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-26-12, 06:23

Plan: my own
Stats: 278/217/185 Male 5 feet 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 66%

Quote:
According to one hypothesis frequent meals prevent a high influx of fatty acids.

Seriously wtf is that? String together random words in a sentence and hope it sounds scientific? That website has FAIL written all over it.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-26-12, 07:30

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
These compounds are released from foods and can lead to a build-up of fats in the arteries, and also contribute to high cholesterol levels. Eating more frequently during the day means there are no sudden spikes of fatty acids, enabling the body to deal with the intake more effectively. Eating more frequently could also boost energy levels.
I'm assuming that all these frequent meals are going to be mostly carbs. Since all the carbs (except for the indigestible fiber) turn into glucose and the body has to covert the glucose into fat for storage, then the bad fatty acids that the researchers want to avoid are those due to the carbs that they are eating. Maybe they should consider reducing the carb intake.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-26-12, 07:43
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Dr. Davis blogged about how carby meals elevate your triglycerides and every time you eat they pile on, higher and higher. He suggested NOT snacking because of that effect.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-26-12, 08:34

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
The study participants will be told eat either three or nine meals a day in order to evaluate the effects of the different regimens. In addition to that blood pressure, levels of insulin, glucose and fatty acids of all study participants will be recorded. According to one hypothesis frequent meals prevent a high influx of fatty acids.

It's the glucose and insulin, stupid.

David Jenkins did a study that I never shut up about where he either gave human subjects 50 grams of glucose as a quick drink, or slowly sipped over three and a half hours. The gulp spiked glucose and insulin, followed by a drop, the drop was accompanied by a spike in free fatty acids (and of course free fatty acids had also plunged with the glucose and insulin rises, before this)--necessary to protect against hypoglycemia, and to provide fuel once the glucose is out of the way. Sipping the glucose resulted in much lower insulin, and a much lower glucose elevation. Also, a more gradual decrease in free fatty acids. But the free fatty acids sort of stay lower, at least over the period studied--no rebound. I'm not entirely certain this is a positive. Bring in the glucose slowly enough, and your liver can deal with the glucose load more effectively by decreasing glycolysis and increasing glycogen storage, less insulin is needed.

Quote:
Modifying the rate of absorption has been proposed as a therapeutic principle of specific relevance to diabetes. To demonstrate clearly the metabolic benefits that might result from reducing the rate of nutrient delivery, nine healthy volunteers took 50 g glucose in 700 ml water on two occasions: over 5–10 min (bolus) and at a constant rate over 3.5 h (sipping). Despite similar 4-h blood glucose areas, large reductions were seen in serum insulin (54 ± 10%, P < 0.001) and C-peptide (47 ± 12%, P < 0.01) areas after sipping, together with lower gastric inhibitory polypeptide and enteroglucagon levels and urinary catecholamine output. There was also prolonged suppression of plasma glucagon, growth hormone, and free-fatty acid (FFA) levels after sipping, whereas these levels rose 3–4 h after the glucose bolus. An intravenous glucose tolerance test at 4 h demonstrated a 48 ± 10% (P < 0.01) more rapid decline in blood glucose (Kg) after sipping than after the bolus. Furthermore, FFA and total branched-chain amino acid levels as additional markers of insulin action were lower over this period despite similar absolute levels of insulin and C-peptide. These findings indicate that prolonging the rate of glucose absorption enhances insulin economy and glucose disposal.

http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/39/7/775

There was a study RightNow put in her journal a few years back, small amounts of IV glucose gave a greater increase in leptin than what you'd expect from the calories--slower infusion, more effective suppression of lipolysis, lower free fatty acids--higher leptin? Free fatty acids suppress the secretion of leptin, at least in a petrie dish they do. This has always seemed to me to be something worth trying. I've spiked my water supply with sodium/potassium (half salt), I find I can drink a teaspoon and a half in about two liters of water a day without the water tasting like ass. It wouldn't be hard to add a little sugar.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-26-12, 09:34

Plan: Atkins- leaning Paleo
Stats: 182/154/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

How does one even have a LIFE when eating nine times a day? When do you do anything else?
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Sep-26-12, 10:14

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Resolved: eating crap spread out over nine meals is better for you than eating it in three big meals.

Next!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Sep-27-12, 13:36

Plan: Atkins, Paleo, High Fat
Stats: 180/133.2/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 117%

I do intermittent fasting. A meal at lunch, one at dinner, snack only if I get hungry (rarely) Every feeding spikes insulin, even 9 low carb ones do. This would make me gain weight, maybe some could tolerate it. This is junk science IMHO, probably funded by big food.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Sep-18-13, 12:16

Plan: atkins
Stats: 149/142/125 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress:

Thats an interesting article, but I can hardly imagine eating 9 (!) times per day, thats too much, I think most the majority of people just won't have enough time to eat every 1-2 hours. What concerns cholesterol, there some products that help to lower it such as coconut. Here's some info on coconut oil for cholesterol, and here about coconut milk cholesterol lowering properties.

Last edited by Cerentola : Thu, Sep-19-13 at 11:22.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Sep-18-13, 12:30

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyB
How does one even have a LIFE when eating nine times a day? When do you do anything else?

Quite!! I've got better things to do with my time than constantly eat - How do you manage it at work ????? Herbivores need to to get enough nutrients from the food they eat, but omni and carnivores only need to eat when they're hungry - and as for cholesterol - I've read so much about it lately that I'm of the opinion that having high cholesterol is by far a more natural state to be in and there is no proof that it causes heart problems at all!!!!!!

Jo xxx
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Sep-18-13, 13:23

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Findings of the study showed that the first group had a significantly higher systolic blood pressure in comparison to more frequently eaters group.

Some people get low blood pressure after eating. Especially carbs. Maybe the higher blood pressure is partly in anticipation of demands on the system related to large meals?

Digestion of water-soluble nutrients (read;not fat) makes demands blood flow-wise. Michael Eades wrote about a once a day eating study where blood pressure goes up.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Sep-18-13, 14:15
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Shopping, fixing, preparing, eating. When do they have time for work?