Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#166   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-05, 05:39
Registered Member

Plan: Warrior LC
Stats: 222/201/191 Male 180 cm
BF:30%/12%/12%
Progress: 68%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaob
You mentioned that "beginners try to force results by eating too little". Have you seen the results of many people on this WOE? So far, I have only been going on your terrific results and knowledge Most of the other threads you've linked seem to be those into bodybuilding. Are there "normally" active people that you know doing WD? I am not very active and hope this will still work for me? I know, lots of questions, but I appreciate your expertise!!

On the dragondoor.com forum you will find more ‘normal’ active people, but everybody, also in the forums at lowcarber.org, is doing some kind of exercise. On Ivillage.com the diet is presented without the context of exercise.

This diet, or way of eating is controversial in its nature. But when you look into the existing scientific research you will find the common knowledge is not based on much evidence. A lot of people already ate little or no breakfast instead of the ‘king’s meal of the day’. I got a lot of my info from BB sites, because I was looking for hard evidence of the fat burning. There people publish often pictures to have their body fat estimated by others. So the ones who did the WD for longer periods have some real credibility in my view because they are part of a community working with measurable results. I am preparing to take some pictures in the future of myself to show some of the definition on legs and arms that indicate the progress of the fatburning .

It would be great to create a ‘normal’ people – base on this forum! There are some people here who have tried it in the last couple of years. Via the search function you could find them.

The WD will work whether you combine it with exercise or not. But building some muscle and enhancing your condition will be of great help. The exercise and diet will stimulate each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akasha
Question: I remember reading somewhere that the best time to exercise while on the WD is an hour or so before you begin the overeating phase. Can anyone confirm this?

In general it is advisable to exercise before eating. I prefer to have exercise before my main meal, but I have done exercise at morning and noon and ate much later. When I start eating then, I wouldn’t stop until completely full however!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiNiki
The WD fascinates me because I have a tendency at about 7pm every night to become ravenous, no matter what I ate all day, and then I binge. …by starting last night with the overeating phase I had a salad with cheese, 12oz prime rib, a baked potato skin, and then an hour later I had four pieces of cheese and sausage pizza and 4 poptarts. After the pizza and poptarts I felt fine, then my bloodsugar crashed so I was sick. I am not sure if I did the overeating phase correctly, I read that you eat your salad, then protein, then steamed veggies and carbs and that after that anything because you ate all your good stuff. Maybe I messed that up? Or maybe I have to stick to the rules of Atkins even when overeating to keep my bloodsugar levels ok.

The overeating at night would fit nicely in your schedule I think . But remember that while the WD doesn’t forbid any bad carbs, the influence they have on your insulin is not good if you eat too much of them. I don’t know about the pop tarts, but pizza is considered junk food, so don’t eat that on average day’s.

If you want an advise on the kind of food: The Atkins and South Beach maintenance phase are looking OK to me for healthy eating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiNiki
I am deathly afraid of getting type II diabetes, my father has it, and want to make sure that I am doing everything to avoid that. Will WD help or hurt me with this? Today it is 3pm my time and I have had my vitamins and some water, I haven't been hungry yet, maybe still messed up from the sugar? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

&
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPaleo
KaiNiki, I also have blood sugar problems. I am not sure if it is some weird form of hypoglycemia or what but I very often feel quite sick not long after eating. And if I get really sick (bad headaches, nauseous) I will often still feel bad for a whole day after and just feel like I can't get back in balance.

My old doctor recommended eating every 2-3 hours making sure to eat small amounts of food with protein. This actually made it worse which is why I am drawn to the WD.

There is an insulin simulator on the net. You can put in your feeding pattern and check the insulin spikes. I did this while holding the medicines on zero so I only checked the influence of the food. The WD gives a good pattern with no high peaks. During the day because you don’t have any bad carbs at all, and at night because you eat mainly the good carbs.

http://www.google.nl/search?hl=nl&q=insulin+simulator&btnG=Zoeken&meta=

gives some links to this simulator.

Last edited by watcher16 : Mon, Jun-20-05 at 05:45.
Sponsored Links
  #167   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-05, 06:56

Plan: mayo
Stats: 165/145/110 Female 5'2" w/ shoes!!
BF:
Progress: 36%

Happy Monday morning! Well, I kinda blew it yesterday. Had a bit of Father's day breakfast goodies. Okay, more than a bit. But I did find a thought provoking thread that helped me decide to give up my nightly wine. I think I am just kidding myself to think that I can lose weight drink every night. I am with most of you who are going to combine WD and Atkins.

I was going to answer some questions you had, but Watcher came to my rescue quite eloquently!! Thanks, Watcher for all your help, again!

I won't post my menu for yesterday as it may make your mouth water-LOL-but today I plan to stay on track:

B-coffee/cream (maybe an egg)
S-fresh vegies
Overeating 4:00-8:00- BIG salad w/ blue cheese, pork chop, some sort of cooked vegie, No wine, no wine, no wine, no wine, no wine!!!!!!!!!

Have a WD day Watcher, Jpaleo, Carmen, Akasha, Kainiki, Becky and all lurkers!!
  #168   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-05, 21:48
Registered Member

Hello Jaob,

Don't let my 'info-wave (tsunami?)' stop you (or others) from ventilating anything you would, please be welcome to combine eachothers experiences and views, so we can develop something that is more than the sum of our partial views!
  #169   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-05, 22:23

Plan: A lifestyle change
Stats: 270/248/186 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 26%

Hey guys,
I tried it, I guess it's not for me, I woke up with a tummy ache both days and spent most of the day in the restroom. It sounded really good in theory, but I guess in practice it didn't work for me, good luck you guys. Maybe when I am working out more I will try again and it will work better.
  #170   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-05, 04:05

Plan: My own combo
Stats: 147/135/132 Female 1.72cm (5'8'')
BF:no clue
Progress: 80%

ooooopppsss
  #171   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-05, 04:07

Plan: My own combo
Stats: 147/135/132 Female 1.72cm (5'8'')
BF:no clue
Progress: 80%

KaiNiki.....so sorry it didn't work for you I really hope you find something that suits you and makes you and your body happy

With my eating is going very good Yesterday I started eating at 5 since I had a very difficult day and all the stress drained all my energy (DH and I found out our 13 y.o. daughter cut herself in the arm after an argument with us and then with her best friend) so I ate a lot...I'm not an emotional eater, I was just hungry. Anyway, I ate LC but had a *treat* (a muffin). This is what I like the most about this WOE....if you want something really badly you CAN have it....just have to wait a few hours

Hope you are all doing great!!
  #172   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-05, 06:39

Plan: atkins/warrior
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

hi everybody! I'm just stopping in to update.I am entering day 3 on the WD, so far so good. I am dying to get on the scale just to know. I am combining it with atkins, so I don't start the cravings for sweets or bread too much. One thing I can say is great about this, is I am drinking a ton of water. I always try, but sometimes it would be hard, and I would drink coffee or green tea all day. I was surprised to see that it didn't count as my daily water. But now that i'm not eating anything, Its the water that keeps me going. ITs been super easy to skip the food, and fill up on water. One question, should I take my vitamin with my overeating phase, or is it ok first thing in the morning?( I apologize if this has already been answered somewhere.)
  #173   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-05, 09:07
I will try...until.

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 288.5/207.5/110 Female 61'
BF:52/52/20
Progress: 45%

KaiNiki. Sorry to hear you leave. Good luck though!

Carmen, keep up the great work!

Becky- Good job with the water. It's something that I am horrible at. I never drink enough water. It's all coffee and Crystal Light. LOL.

I had an egg with mushrooms for brunch. I plan to have a coffee later before my workout, then I will feast.
  #174   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-05, 12:55

Plan: atkins/warrior
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Just a quick question,, is it normal to be more hungry a few days into it? i don't want to complain, because it still is pretty easy, but today i keep thinking about food. maybe its a psychological thing, or maybe my calories were too low last night? i had leftover brisket for dinner,and a huge salad and a few pieces of cheese. i FELT full, but was it maybe not enough? I am doing what you said, akasha, about atkins as well, so naturally I didn't have a baked potato or anything, but what do you think?THanks everybody.
  #175   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-05, 13:13

Plan: My Own
Stats: 154/141/- Female 61.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I've had the same problem, Becky. I've been trying the WD off and on for a few weeks now and the first few days I am fine, then on day three or so I start feeling really hungry during the day.

But for me it may be emotional eating type issues. I'm still not sure.

I am on day 2 of my latest go at this and I have been feeling really hungry. I have had an egg, a small plum and some celery so far. I am trying to distract myself right now.

Does it just take will power at first for some of us? Will we adjust eventually if we stick with it?

-J
  #176   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-05, 14:20
I will try...until.

You CAN eat during the day- snacking more or less. I usually have an egg for breakfast. Flavored coffee helps fill me up in the afternoon when I start to get hungry as well.
  #177   ^
Old Wed, Jun-22-05, 15:51
I will try...until.

I just weighed myself after a week on Induction./Warrior Diet.

I just wanted to post really quick and let you all know that I am down..... 8 POUNDS! Yay!
  #178   ^
Old Wed, Jun-22-05, 23:46
Registered Member

Congratulations Akasha! That's great.

~Becky & Jpaleo
I never am hungry during the day. If you eat your normal amount of calories (minus 300-500 cal) during the evening and a small part during the day you cannot be hungry. For my bodyweight 3250 cal is normal, but 2750 as a minimum is still quit a lot of food! So I don't look at calories anymore.

Example: A real sizable dinner for me would be about 1200 cal. So during the day I have 400-600 cal, that leaves 1000-1200 cal as 2nd meal or healthy snacks in the evening. That is a lot! I think I am under that a lot of the time.

When sometimes I don't eat so much in the evening (have a 'normal dinner' with friends) I take some more or less healthy snacks during the next day. Possible some chicken nuggets with sauce, mostly some sliced meat or 0,5 liter yoghurt, sometimes 45 g potato chips. I use it as a memory point, oh yeah, I ate not enough yesterday.

Next time I don't eat so much I try to get some more healthy food when I come home late, often vegetables with some mayonaise and spices.

The next day I take with some some 4 boiled eggs, an apple and a yoghurt to avoid the snacking on less healthy food.

~becky: I take the vitamins in the morning, I feel that if there might be something the body needed during the day I at least provide that with a multivitamin, and a fish oil capsule. ( I take some others too).

Since I try to take some less coffee I drink more water, and when I take coffee at work I take also water. I am very busy (family obligations, parties) and then I need some caffeine to keep going.

~Carmen: I think you value rightly the core of the WD: Some fun with eating
  #179   ^
Old Thu, Jun-23-05, 10:17

Plan: mayo
Stats: 165/145/110 Female 5'2" w/ shoes!!
BF:
Progress: 36%

Hi everyone! Sorry I have been MIA for a couple of days. It seems like endless parties for end of the year (teacher at elementary school). So I haven't been doing WD very well. It should be easy enough to do the WD and go to parties but I haven't been able to figure it out quite yet. If there is a party during the day I still end up eating at night also. I know I can do this. Just need to think it through!

I am so glad we have a support group going for this. I sure need it! Today is another party. Overeating should start around 3:00 so I WILL not be eating after 7:00. The problem will be eating at the party in the order that the foods should be eaten. Just wish me luck. Starting tomorrow, everything should be back to normal and I can focus for the rest of summer!

Akasha-8 lbs!! great job! You're an inspiration.Thanks for posting your typical eating day. It helps!

Becky and Jpaleo-I find that it's the ACT of eating that I miss alot during the undereating phase. I find myself not knowing what to do with myself. I usually only experience tummy rumbling, no other symptoms of undereating.
  #180   ^
Old Thu, Jun-23-05, 11:11
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%
Default earlier eating

Just a question, how late do you guys "start" to eat in the evening? I wake up pretty early 4-530am and with a coming baby will certainly be doing so in the future. Would eating the largest portion of food between 3-730pm fall within proper guidelines, even though my "bedtime" will be all over the clock for a while? I suppose milk supply will dictate how much I actually need to eat during the day, I was just wondering about the hours thing - if there was something important about making the eating specifically late in the evening.

I'm certainly eating during the day, but not large portions... even now though, I find that by 430pm I am ravenous for a huge steak and afterward want to continue to eat throughout the evening. Sometimes if I workout in the morning I will not be able to NOT eat a large lunch, but I don't mind as long as I'm pregnant.