Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 00:44

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 205/147/142
BF:
Progress: 92%

KISS is a version of Atkins but linited to natural foods only.
Here is better explanation:

http://atkinsfanclub.freehosting.net/KISS/kissrules.htm

Here is a good Discussion

Actually i think that Atkins is more liberal then PP. Atkink is strict on carbs (not a big problem) but calories are not restricted. PP, on the other hand, says that calories are not counted, but if you look at sample menu - there are no more then 1100 calories a day.
They allow more carbs though.
I do Atkins Induction because i gained a little weight and decided to go on induction to loose it. I learned a lot of fundamental things from Atkins books, but never actually did induction. Had no need.
Your exersise seems ok. Maybe add some weight training twice a week or replace one of your aerobic workouts with lifting. Long cardio workouts have been known to send body into starvation mode as well, just like low calorie diet. I am no expert on this, but it may be worth considering.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 14:57
Registered Member

Plan: basically still on induction
Stats: 152/155/140
BF:
Progress: -25%
Default I'm one too!!

Hey you guys, thanks for being so honest and sharing with the rest of us. I have been reading and learning and agreeing and not having anything new to add I did not think it important to chime in but when the question was put forth if there were others out there I had to let you know that at least I am a turtle also. I was on Atkins for about a year and had dropped enough weight to go down 2 sizes in pants. I then went to CA to help my brothers and sister take care of our mom in her last three months of life and during that time I ate what made me feel good. CARBS!!!! I did not notice feeling bad until I returned home. My weight had come back with a vengence and is very stubborn now but what I want back is the good health that I had gained. I am 59 years old and don't expect to look like a teenager.....(or even a 49 year old) ha. Truly I just want to know that I am doing all I can to take care of this one and only body I have. I am going to keep on the induction for a week or two more. Then I am going to continue with Atkins but add just enough carbs to be able to eat the good things that will soon be coming out of my garden.
I will stop here because I can't add to what all of you have said. Please know that I appreciate your sharing. It has helped so much. My husband and friends are not real supportive of me and this is one of those things that I have to do for me. (I was a better, healthier me when I was on this WOE before)
Enough said.
Linda Fesler
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 23:35

Plan: started Atkins at 126 LBS
Stats: 147/127/120
BF:
Progress: 74%

KISS is very similar to Neanderthin. The differences are negligible. Thanks for the links, Sam. It seems to me that successful LC depends on developing your own plan. Then again, who am I to talk about successful LC? That's a good joke! Also, thanks for the coments about the exercise. I didn't know that rigorous cardio workouts could trigger your body to go into starvation mode. I've seen references to the concept that really intense workouts are not such a good idea, but no explanation as to why. I seriously doubt that my problem is not eating enough. If anything, it's the opposite.

Linda, your post is a testimonial to the fact that it's never too late to care for yourself the way you deserve. Stick with it! I'm just going to keep trying and experimenting until I find a LC WOE that works for me. Good luck to you doing the same, and keep posting. Get the support you need from people that understand, people that are right where you are.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Mar-29-02, 06:46
Registered Member

Plan: basically still on induction
Stats: 152/155/140
BF:
Progress: -25%
Default Julie

Hey Julie, thanks for your words. I wanted to encourage you to look into the exercise link that is provided in the forums of this site. I have danced most of my life and still teach an aerobics class 2 times a week. Over exercising can be a problem but you have to really work hard to over exercise if you are eating a lot of food. That is my experience. I have begun to train in Pilates. This method of exercise developes long lean muscle. The training is really THOUGHT intensive......I know it is not just my age as I see the other girls struggling also...Ha....You might investigate Pilates.....The Web is full of information about it. Heaven Knows I would never have found information around here....Have to travel to Little Rock to do a class once in a while so I depend on a book and a tape...don't think I can give you the names here.
God bless you and help you with your efforts.
Linda
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Mar-30-02, 18:40

Plan: started Atkins at 126 LBS
Stats: 147/127/120
BF:
Progress: 74%

Thanks for the suggestion, Linda. I've heard of Pilates but know nothing about it. I'm relatively ignorant about all of the different exercise/workout methods and philosophies. I've been spending so much time reading different diet books, that I think I've overdosed. Maybe I can switch to exercise books (I can't remember that last time I read a good fiction book!). I know that I've seen a book on Pilates at a local bookstore. Funny thing is, I'm probably in the best shape now that I've ever been in my whole life. I really don't enjoy exercise, and though I can now do it without complaint, and it often feels pretty good once I get going, I'd still quit working out in a second if I didn't feel compelled to do it. Oh, well. I'll quit whining now. Thanks, again, for sharing your thoughts and your words of encouragement.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Apr-27-05, 17:43

Plan: Variations of Atkins
Stats: 149/142/110 Female 63
BF:33%
Progress: 18%

Hello,

I was wondering if you had your TSH levels tested yet? It looks like your metabolism has slowed and knowing your TSH levels would help to understand if you need Thyroid medications to make your metabolism normal again.

Please check out this link from webmd.com

http://my.webmd.com/hw/health_guide_atoz/hw28656.asp