Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 18:02

Plan: My own
Stats: 166/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 73%
Default Pleased to Meet You! - Introduce Yourself Here

I was thinking it might be nice, since we Somersizers are such a small group, if we could get a more personal thread going.

Here are a few questions for an icebreaker, or just tell us whatever you want.

How is Somersizing going for you?
Are you getting any results?
How long have you been Somersizing?

I really started Somersizing on June 4, so I have been doing it almost 2 months now and lost about 6 pounds. I am very happy being able to eat legal sweet treats and fruit, so I am not too concerned about losing fairly slowly. I know I can stick to this because the food is so good. Before that, I tried Weight Watchers, which I hated because of all the fake foods that were encouraged, and the high points for meats, making it hard to get much protein. The first diet I ever tried was Atkins, about a year ago. I lost some weight, but quickly got bored on Induction, and started gaining when I added carbs back. I read about CAD and Protein Power and Body for Life, but none of those were a good fit for me. I finally read Dr. Schwarzbeins book, which was a real eye opener. Dr. Schwarzbein is an Endocrinologist and easy to understand. So far, it has been a wonderful journey, and I have met lots of fascinating people from this website.

Looking forward to your story,
Sandy

Last edited by Sandylee : Wed, Jul-30-03 at 03:59.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 11:53
Arizona 215 lb Loser

Plan: Suzanne Somers
Stats: 327/315/190 Male 5 ft 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

Hi Sandy!

I think I started the Somersize diet at about the same time as you did. It's been working great for me, although I can't weigh myself to be sure exactly what I've lost.

But I just put the forth new notch in my belt this morning so I know it really is working! I just wrote in my journal that I've now hit the point where I actually believe this is going to work! And that really is such a good feeling

I haven't been craving any of the funky foods hardly at all, so it sure seems like this could last a long time -- which of course is what must happen!!

And, I haven't had a problem going to restaurants as they always have something that I can eat, and often its something a like quite a bit.

I also haven't felt like I'm stuck on just one type of food. The variety really helps out.

Oh, and I've just got my copy of the Schwartzbein Principle II, so I'll be learning more about what's really going on and I think that's quite helpful too.

God bless!
Dean
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 15:32

Plan: Somersizing
Stats: 167/147/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 54%

Hi you guys,

I started on April 28th of this year, so it's been about three months for me. I had been doing Body For Life so this was quite a switch. I remember when I first heard about eliminating starchy foods that I thought it was such a ridiculous idea. To eat fat and think you could lose weight. My girlfriend said to me the other day that if you start a new diet and people give you grief about how odd it sounds, they could be right, but since I've lost 20lbs, nobody has a leg to stand on. I used to be one of those people thinking it was a silly WOE.

The worst I got was a few raised eyebrows, but I know in the beginning I felt a bit embarrassed about asking restaurants and the deli in my grocery store what was in certain foods. Now I don't care. Pretty much everyone has just promptly gotten me the info and never said a word. I think they all assume it's something to do with being diabetic when I tell them I can't have sugar or flour and that's okay with me.

I was part of the low-fat fad for a LOT of years and believed the lack of success was because I wasn't dedicated enough to it. I've been amazed at how I am losing on such rich foods. And as you said Dean, it's the first time I've felt like I might actually get to my goal. I read a post somewhere else where the girl said this would be the last time she would ever have to say "I need to lose "X" amount of pounds". I think that's how I feel too. All my life my body shape has been a lurking issue, and it seems that this time, I will finally conquer it. I've learned how to eat in a way that my body responds to, and that never leaves me feeling stuffed and bloated. Once I reach my goal, I will never have to say how much weight I need to lose again. It's sort of like it will be something I can FINALLY check off of my mental "to do" list.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 07:35
Arizona 215 lb Loser

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by davista
The worst I got was a few raised eyebrows, but I know in the beginning I felt a bit embarrassed about asking restaurants and the deli in my grocery store what was in certain foods. Now I don't care. Pretty much everyone has just promptly gotten me the info and never said a word.

Hi Davista!

I was in a restaurant a while back and the waitress said that she thought that about 20% of their customers were on low-carb diets. It was a more up-scale restaurant, so I think the people that go there might be a bit different than the average restaurant customer, but I think this shows how wide-spread the low-carb dieting has become.

I walked through a mall yesterday and was surprised to find an Atkins store offering all the Atkins products. One more indication to me that a lot of people are doing it. And I think that's great because that means more restaurants will start offering meals designed for low-carb diets and also will allow substitutions more readily.

By the way, I bought a bottle of non-sugar banana syrup at the Atkins store to mix with my diet-7up's and it tastes great!

Dean
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 09:17

BF:

I think it's becoming a much more popular and more accepted way to eat. I think as more people try it and succeed, it may even replace the low-fat mentality. Although I've never seen a low-carb commercial, still all pushing the low-fat option.

I've never seen a whole Atkins store, but I found some Atkins stuff at a health food store. I did try his maple syrup but it was terribly watery. I just bought some made by Steele's and it was super thick. Gooey the way syrup should be.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 17:53
Registered Member

Plan: Somersizing/ Body-for-Life
Stats: 260/237/160 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:48%/35%/13%
Progress: 23%

Hi guys!
I'd been bouncing around the other lists, things like the summer madness challenge, and the 199er's club (I even had to take a peek in war zone and see what the nay-sayers could possibily have to say badly about this wol! )
and I found myself wondering- where are all the somersizers!? We are so outnumbered!
So I finally went looking for the source and there you are! (well here and on the suzanne's website)

I love this idea of introducing ourselves. I did on the main low-carbers forum for newbies already but I'll happily share again here!

I started May 21 of this year. A day I'll never forget- it was the day my life changed and the day I stumbled onto 'one of my crazy diets' that really actually works!!!
Before this I tried the starvation diet, atkins (and became a raving b!#$% which I've now learned is because I need more carbs to keep from falling into a depression) short flirtations with protein power, fit for life, healthy for life (carb addicts diet), and finally repeated attempts at Body for Life.
I GAINED weight with every single one except BFL, but I worked my tail off sooo hard i wanted serious results and I was getting 1/2 an inch here or there, and lost a few pounds and promptly stopped. I was ready to scream- I had been doing it all so perfectly for a solid month and came up bumpkins! I understand that i might have seen some serious results if I'd managed the full 3 months and I would probably start seeing that wonderful payoff I wanted in the last month. but I gotta tell ya folks I felt cheated! The food sucked (like all low-fat diets! Fat is the flavor carrier!) and my husband just blossomed while I felt like I was going nowhere. I really got the feeling that the whole thing was designed for men and I wanted something where I would blossom.
So sat down and really analyzed what had worked in the past and what didn't work for me. Marilu Henner had been my savior before and by a twist of fate when i went digging for her book i found Suzanne's first one instead (they are actually standing in the same pose on the cover- it had been a while so I thought I had found it and sat down and gave it a good read). The food looked so good and i honestly couldn't beleive that you could lose weight like that but my god if it worked..... So I tried it and everything just klicked. I had been wanting to get into the kitchen more since I am a firm believer in the magic of homecooked food prepared with love. And for the FIRST time EVER I found changing my way of eating to be absolutely no work at all! I had to have her other books- ALL OF THEM!! I kept making new recipes and my husband loved ALL of it (you have no idea the kind of picky eater he is!!)! 2 months past and I didn't even notice. I knew i was feeling better, I was happier, my depression had lifted, I was DOING things again!
That was when i figured- I should do another round of BFL just to see if I can complete it- go all 3 months and do it MY WAY- the somersizing way! So i started getting to the gym more but not nearly the everyday punishment I did before. If I did heavy yard work that day i was happy that I had worked out, I tried a workout I really enjoyed in the past by Joyce Vedrell and I've really just approached everything with a lot of self-love and self-respect.
And where has this long winded story got me? shedding pounds like my dogs in the Kansas sun! I'm melting like the wicked witch in the story of OZ! The last 3 weeks has found me 10 pounds lighter then the week before with the tape measure finding lower numbers and the Lean Body Mass making a slow strut up the line.
I'm still in a state of shock. i'm reaching my goals with no effort!! espeically not after what I was used to doing before! And after my workouts- while I feel great i actually wonder if it's done any good since I'm not beat red and feeling faint!

I'm never going back. I'm here for the long haul and Wonderful Marvelous Suzanne can expect some before and afters of me gushing my little Kansasgirl heart out for her next book as soon as I've reached my goal!

thanks for listening guys and now that I've found where you all are hiding I'll be visiting more regularly.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 20:10

BF:

I'm so excited about these posts, this is wonderful. I was hoping we Somersizers could get to know each other a little and that is what we are doing. Tygris, and Davista, I'm ever so happy to meet you. Tygris, you are doing incredible. Maybe I need to cook more often to lose as fast as you are. My meals are more plain. In fact, Dean, I think you and I are very similar in our meals. As a limo driver, I am out all day, and I tend to mostly pick up fast food. I like Wendy's salads and bacon cheeseburgers without the buns. At night it is mostly a vegetable and broiled or barbequed steak, chicken or fish.

Thanks for writing, everyone, this is great!!!
Sandy
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 08:02
Arizona 215 lb Loser

BF:

Wow Tygris! That's some testimony you have. I'm sure Suzanne would love to print your story in her next book! Way to go! If I didn't like this diet so much already, your story would sure convince me! I'm so glad you found what works.

And Sandy, I agree with you about trying out some of these recipes in Suzanne's books. I'm just not much of a cook myself (especially after working a ten hour day), and I don't like to push my wife until she wants to try it herself. She's liking the Schwarzbein book though, so I think she'll be doing more of that diet...

Dean

Last edited by AZDean : Mon, Aug-04-03 at 08:03.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 09:57
Registered Member

Stats: 206.5/190/170
BF:not sure
Progress: 45%

Hi all! Here is my SS story:
I saw Suzanne on HSN in the Spring of 2001. She was cooking a big juicy burger with onions and mushrooms atop and added a slice of cheese and she said that I could eat that and not gain weight. I thought to myself...I've got to hear this! Then she mentioned that a grilled cheese sandwich was the worst thing you could eat. Combining the cheese a pro/fat with the bread a starch/fat/carbo. I went out and bought Get Skinny and read it and was ready to go! I lost 20 pounds in 7 weeks. I was very strict for the first 3 weeks. Then on the fourth week allowed myself to have a small cheat on Saturday. For the next 4 weeks I only had that small cheat once a week. I did fine! It was so great! I was walking at least 3 times a week about 2 miles each time. Then the BIG MISTAKE happened. I went on vacation. I could actually wear my swimsuit and some smaller clothes and felt better about myself. While on vacation I ate bread, sugar, potatoes and never thought of Somersizing again...By the end of the year I had gained my 20 pounds back plus about 10 more. How stupid was I?!?! Then last spring I decided I was too fat. I ordered the 6 Week Body Makeover...Not knowing you must eliminate all salt/sodium from everything you eat...I tried it and unsuccessful I mailed it back for a refund. Then I just decided I couldn't do it. Then I thought about SS again in late August...I tried to get back on track and then came the holidays....It was too hard. I would make a new years resolution....I started SS on January 6th and lost about 20 pounds in 12 weeks this time. We did a thing here at work where you pay 10.00 to join and each week at weigh in if you haven't lost the weight you were supposed to (divided by 12 weeks) you had to pay 5.00. In the end if you met your goal, you got to split the pot. I made my goal actually 2 over and got about 35.00 back. I put in about 35 total over the 12 weeks so I broke even. Since then I have not been SS whole heartedly. I need to get back on track and get some more pounds off. I need to lose about 25 more pounds to be at 160/165 which is appropriate for my 5'9" large frame. I hope I can make a new start and SS whole heartedly someday. I know I don't want to go through life feeling this way. I am having problems with my car right now and my computer just quit on me so I'm rather stressed right now. I can do it though! I just need a kick in the butt! I would like to lose 20 pounds by Oct. 4th. That's my boyfriends sons graduation...Wish me luck!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 11:32

Plan: Suzanne Somers'
Stats: 142/118/115 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 89%
Talking Wow what great stories!

Thanks for starting this thread, Sandy. It's nice to meet you Davista and Tygris. You have both done so well! As a matter of fact we all have. Natasha I know you'll make it because you have before. Just keep on eating out of the SS books and you'll be ok. Tygris you are a walking advertisement, Suzanne will be THRILLED to hear from you!

My story:
I began Sommersizing in the end of January this year, so I've been at it about 6 months. The previous year I'd cut my carbs way down and switched to whole grain stuff as much as possible, but I still had lots of sugar in my diet and those breakfast cereals and mixed drinks were KILLING me! My hubby had lost quite a bit of weight just from that change, but after one long binging holiday season I found myself the heaviest I had ever been and knew I had to make some sort of change before I became seriously overweight. 30 pounds over my "proper" weight already seemed horribly heavy to me.

I have a friend who has been eating this way for years and she recommended Suzanne's books because she said it was the easiest LC plan she'd found. When I bought Fast and Easy and read it I got all excited to make the recipes and put together my shopping list the same day. By the end of the week I had donated all my funky stuff to friends and neighbors and was 100% Level 1. The fourth day I started melting and lost a pound a day for almost two weeks! I felt really tired and weak during that time though, which I think was because I was eating almost no carbs at all. I got some muscle cramps as well. I didn't like non-fat dairy on my carbs and I despised skim milk so I just couldn't find any carb meals I was happy with. Then I learned Grape Nuts were ok and tried them hot with Splenda on them. From there I found a few more cereals that were legal and decided I did like FF cream cheese on a few things. Once I added in a carb meal a few times a week I started feeling better. My weight loss slowed down but it kept going in the right direction and I had more energy.

I plateaued for about a month after losing 12 pounds, but then got going again and made it to 22 pounds loss by the end of my third month. I have been doing lots of travelling over the summer though, and with that, the constant invitations to summer BBQs in my neighborhood and all the wonderful fruit that is in season here now, I keep gaining the same four pounds back over and over. But I'm encouraged because despite these challanges I have kept off the 20 pounds I lost consistantly for four months now. And each time I go on a trip and creep up I can get back down again within a week or so.

I have one more trip to go; off to the Dakotas with my mom in two weeks. Then I'm going to sit tight for the rest of the year and I hope I can lose those last ten pounds. The holiday season will be a challange, but I intend to keep my nose buried in LC recipe books (Suzanne's most of all, of course) so I can have a really satisfying Thanksgiving and Christmas and still stick to my chosen WOE.

One of the things I like best about Suzanne's WOE is that rather than constantly trying to "behave" yourself by depriving your tastebuds of what they want the most, you just have to work a little to figure out how to satisfy their demands while still sticking to the plan. I haven't found another plan that has enough flexibility to make that possible. So now rather than being an exercise in willpower the holidays will be an exercise in creativity instead! And if I'm naughty and don't exercise as much as I should I'll still lose weight. Take THAT low-fataholics!

My DH, Russ, joined me Somersizing on Easter after watching me melt before his eyes and enjoying all the food I was cooking. He has lost 16 pounds so far and feels much better. Once he started eating this way too it was much simpler to stick to the combining part of te plan because there were no temptations in the house. He had been eating Level Two, basically, and all he had to do was separate out his meals and drop his beer and sandwiches.

It's great to get a chance to meet other people in the same boat as me and to share recipes and expieriences. I've gotten no end of fantastic ideas here and plenty of inspiration and support when I was feeling low.

I hope we all know each other for a long time to come and can look back at these posts over the years and cheer as each one of us meets his/her goals.

MB

Last edited by Mamabeek : Mon, Aug-04-03 at 11:42.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 11:59

BF:

That's actually a really good point. It's not about depriving yourself, it's about creativity. I can't believe some of the "mock" recipes some Somersizers have come up with to still get those foods that they used to eat and love (but made them gain).

For example, my stir-fry's were not quite right without rice, and not really filling me up until someone suggested putting raw cauliflower in a food processor. It turns into little tiny pieces that look like rice. I heat it with a little oil and voila! Rice for my stirfry. My hubby has even stopped asking for real rice and is preferring the cauliflower, even though he doesn't somersize. He says he feels less full and bloated than when he eats rice with it.

I gave a demo to some of my friends who have started somersizing as well. They were having trouble believing they wouldn't feel deprived. So I took over some BLT lettuce wraps, two of my favorite soups, some cheesecake, coleslaw, iced tea and let them sample away.

They said forget the software business, I should open a somersized restaurant! Anyway, it's all about being creative. Some things are just not the same but I find that for the most part you can find something that's close enough to satisfy. I must admit, I do a lot more cooking, but with 20 pounds down the drain, it's definitely worth it.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 12:26

Plan: Suzanne Somers'
Stats: 142/118/115 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 89%
Default Funny you should say that...

about the restaurant. I have been told the same thing! I've been daydreaming about having a little shop where I can sell specifically low carb and Somersized food. It's getting easier to find generally LC foods, true, but the food combining part is tougher to work with. Wouldn't it be fantastic to find two or three completely Somersized meals on the menu at lunch?

Russ (DH) has told me that he thinks we have eaten the best food he's ever tasted since I've started Somersizing. We feel so good (not bloated or full but still unsatisfied) after eating that it makes me want to cook more.

I'm going to be working full time and going to school too in a few months so I need to figure out how to make this work without so much time in the kitchen. I will NOT eat out every day, so now I have a new challange to look forward to!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 15:16
Registered Member

Plan: Somersizing/ Body-for-Life
Stats: 260/237/160 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:48%/35%/13%
Progress: 23%

yeah - I have the same problem here!

Classes begin at the end if this month and I'll be taking on part-time work to help pay our bills off faster. So it's definitly going to be a lot of brown-bagging.

My husband and I were actually very seriously looking at opening a restarant recently and were going to do that very thing! My husband thought the food was soo great and we get so frusterated eating out and having to interogate the waitstaff for any hidden ingredients in the food (and most of the time they have NO idea!) They really do put sugar in EVERYTHING!
Maybe someday we'll be able to do it......

This thread is so much fun! it's been a real kick reading all your stories!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 02:41

BF:

Natasha, it is a pleasure to meet you! I have seen your posts before; thanks for starting the recipe threads. Mamabeek, hello!!!! I have already gotten a lot of inspiration from your great recipe ideas and warm notes.

I agree that Somersizing is for the creative cook. I love to be creative in the kitchen; I will often read 4 or 5 recipes for the same dish, then come up with my own version. Nothing makes me happier than grocery shopping for the finest ingredients. One of the great perks of my job (limo driver) is that I am all over the city of Chicago; I find great little ethnic neighborhood food stores and come up with all types of interesting things. The best one I have found is very close to my home! it is a Greek owned produce and meat market, very inexpensive compared to the big chains. I get beautiful "choice" meats very reasonable priced, and fresh vegetables and fruits a few times a week. That's the beauty of this way of eating; we are not limited to "3 cups of vegetables" a day, and we can have fruit!

I LOVE this way of eating. Now if I can just blast this plateau!!!!!

Sandy
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 06:37
Arizona 215 lb Loser

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyKat2
I saw Suzanne on HSN in the Spring of 2001. She was cooking a big juicy burger with onions and mushrooms atop and added a slice of cheese and she said that I could eat that and not gain weight. I thought to myself...I've got to hear this!

Wow, I just saw Suzanne last night on the HSN and she was showing how she makes ice cream and then adds all this chocolate and carmel and whipcream toppings. They're all made with her Somersweet. But I didn't even know she had a program. I normally never see what's on HSN, but just happen to look last night. I'll have to check it more often now...

Dean