Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Jun-18-13, 09:53

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Did you only drink the shake or also take the supplements? Sometimes the supplements or their fillers can make one feel sick.

Or you could be intolerant of whey; I am. Milk thistle & B-vitamins also make me feel sick.

Spreading things out can reduce the feeling of sickness and help you determine what is causing the problem.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-13, 01:19

Plan: CAD
Stats: 148/144/120 Female 5ft
BF:
Progress: 14%

It was only the shake, my husband had one and he was fine. I added Leucine as it said in the recipe. I so want to make this diet work but can't face a whole day of sicky bloatedness. Not sure what to do next - maybe try low carb without the shakes?
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-20, 07:31

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
I sort of mucked around with the first two weeks of the six week cure. But I found that trying to take in all that whey protein just made me feel cruddy. So I tried just eating the protein prescription, I think it was about 40 grams per shake for me, as lean meats and adding enough fat to equal the fat to protein ratios in the shakes. That worked pretty good for me. After that I didn't bother with the other stages of the diet, since they weren't much different from what I was already doing.

Did you try whole egg protein powder instead of the whey?
Some people develop an allergic reaction to dairy of all kinds.
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-20, 07:43

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I do all right with smaller amounts of whey. Between that post and now--one summer I did sort of a modified version with frozen "pudding"--whipped three or four eggs with a couple of scoops of whey protein, then froze it, had this two or three times a day for a few months. In the beginning was frying it up as a pancake (sweet enough to eat without any topping). I eventually got tired of the pudding, but I tolerated it well.
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-20, 08:04

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Reading back through the thread--I said the six-week cure was the jump off point for the next fifteen pounds of weight loss. Well, it sort of was. But it didn't last. Bit of water under the bridge since then. I've lost with higher protein lower fat a number of times--but eventually rebounded. My longest successful maintenance at the mid-150s pound weight range is the last several years, including now. I found emphasizing fat, keeping to a fairly ketogenic ratio, helped. Starting a fairly active full time job also helped--I don't think it's just the calories burned, but the structure it gives to my days makes it easier to stay on plan (I was always low carb before that, for over a decade, I mean it makes it easier to stick to more specific protein/fat goals as opposed to eating whatever low carb foods I want).

One year after losing down to 154 pounds, I found I had a tendency to binge--on things like honey, or maple syrup right out of the bottle. Or if I bought a jar of peanut butter, I'd eat a tablespoon one day, another the next--but eventually I'd eat most of the jar in a sitting. Or a pound or more of nuts. I got curious about what the 4:1 diet for epilepsy was like--I tried it and found it stopped the binges in their tracks. My current diet isn't quite so stringent, but I do go towards a higher fat ratio.
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-20, 09:22

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallmeAnn
Thanks for the replies. Nelson, I wonder about that too, since I have been belching regularly for the first time-compared to no belching at all-since I went off wheat in Jan. '10.
I also got some coconut milk to substitute for the cream. I'm going to try that. I may be intolerant to dairy since I don't seem to do well with the wheat.
Teaser, I wondered about doing that, but I didn't see how it was any different than PP straight from the book. The true difference may be that it's more calorie restricted and he introduces the hormones and supplements.

You can get lots of answers from the Protein Power thread called Middle Aged Middle that ended in 2016. If you have the time, read through all 54 pages - I did and it was an eye opener.