Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Mon, Feb-26-07, 22:27

Plan: ketogenic neandrathin
Stats: 254/212/155 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 42%

My doctor's parting comments to me: You have osteoporosis which will continue to get worse if you don't take 1500 mgs calcium every day (no mention from her of D or magnesium...yowza) and You will have a heart attack since you refuse to take the cholesterol medicine I want you on....talk about a prophet of doom....

T
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Wed, Feb-28-07, 15:41

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 405/350/220 Male 6'0
BF:
Progress: 30%

Triglycerides under 150 is great.

260 cholesterol is slightly worrisome but mostly your LDL being so high is the problem. It should be under 100. Your HDL needs to be up between 40-45.

That is the party line. Obviously you are young and your heart is in good shape, so I suspect cardio exercise and moderation in sat fat will yield good results. Omega 3 oils apparently help elevate the HDL.

If this persists, I personally would not hesitate to hit the statins. Arterial plaques can form rapidly, and there is no reason to tempt heart disease. You may have a genetic component to this that you can only affect so much.
  #48   ^
Old Thu, Mar-01-07, 11:19
Registered Member

Plan: Low grain, sugar, calorie
Stats: 208/173/175 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 106%

Well with my diet in the past (remember the low fat craze?), I am surprised there was nothing in there. Before that, I remember living off of kolaches and coke as a breakfast staple for years. Ohh and Taco Bell, etc.

I cleaned up my diet in 2001, but saturated fats increased since I cut out most carbs.

My new plan is to drop calories (via lowering food volume), as well as carbs. The main reason I went LC, was not to lose weight, but because I just felt like crap, and by chance, found out it was carbs - mainly pastries, breads, candy, and soda.

Keeping the same diet, while dropping the volume should lower LDL some, as I am simply eating less. And I am not staying hungry. I've also upped my cardio even more, and I am now probably in the best shape I've ever been in.

I'll get my bloodwork done in a few more months to see what has changed.