Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-20-17, 17:34

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Are you a Carboholic? Why cutting carbs is so tough"

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/19/...s-so-tough.html

It weaves the insulin theory into the "food reward" of carbs/addiction.

344 comments a day after publication. In the "readers picks" many completely agree with "it's the carbs, and especially the sugar" argument, with examples of some depressing stories of LC success that crumbles after a decade.

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Jul-20-17 at 17:41.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-20-17, 18:07

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

This is such a great explanation by Dr. Ludwig:

“The more insulin you release, the more you crave carbs,” he said. “Once you’re exposed to a little carbohydrate, and you get an insulin rise from it, that forces energy into fat cells and that deprives your other cells of the energy they would otherwise have utilized — in essence, starvation. So you compensate by getting hungry, particularly for more carbohydrate. High insulin drives carb-craving.”

Last edited by Meme#1 : Fri, Jul-21-17 at 09:56.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-21-17, 08:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

“Once you’re exposed to a little carbohydrate..."

How little? Can I eat a crumb? Because when it comes to love sharing a crumb is enough.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-21-17, 08:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflammabl

How little? Can I eat a crumb? Because when it comes to love sharing a crumb is enough.

Science has the answer!

From later in the article,
Quote:
...says Dr. Schmidt. “Instead of sugary soda, I can drink sparkling water with a lime in it.”

A lime has 7g of carbs, wedges are typically 1/8th of a lime therefore 1g is safe!

Seriously though, I think it's more psychological than physiological. Not totally one or the other but more the first. Dr. Schmidt doesn't think of a lime having carbs therefore for Dr. Schmidt having a lime wedge isn't a failure and doesn't make him feel as if he's failed.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-21-17, 09:16

BF:

Quote:

This much: "Once you’re exposed to a little carbohydrate, and you get an insulin rise from it"
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-21-17, 09:39

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

I thought the comment section reflected quite a bit of change from years past. Much less of the "just put the fork down and push back from the table" reaction.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-21-17, 10:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
This much: "Once you’re exposed to a little carbohydrate, and you get an insulin rise from it"

How much of an insulin rise?
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-21-17, 10:39

BF:

Enough to start you on the path to carb cravings...
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jul-22-17, 18:46

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

I can't of course speak for anyone else, but just one small Mandarin orange or wedge of watermelon and my body says, "That's real sugar! Where's the rest of the bowl of it?" so I don't eat those anymore. And it isn't just the sweet taste; I can eat stevia-sweetened home made low carb desserts and no reaction. Somehow my body knows when the sugar's for real or not.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jul-22-17, 20:47

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zei
I can't of course speak for anyone else, but just one small Mandarin orange or wedge of watermelon and my body says, "That's real sugar! Where's the rest of the bowl of it?"
My body does too; fruit and low-fat frankenfoods are full of fructose, which can raise insulin levels without raising blood glucose.

Last edited by deirdra : Sat, Jul-22-17 at 20:52.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jul-23-17, 06:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Enough to start you on the path to carb cravings...

Numbers. I'd like numbers. I believe in arithmetic. Arithmetic speaks for everyone and is universally true.

And I want to be clear... I'm not in disagreement with you personally. I'm in disagreement with an area which I essentially agree with in spirit but have NO quantitative understanding. Professionally I work in an area that comes across as magic, lends itself to hand waving explanations and have learned that if people can't describe something with numbers then they don't understand it. I don't understand low carb science.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jul-23-17, 06:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zei
...and my body says,...

How do you know it's your body? How much of an orange?

I know I'm being a wet blanket but this is important.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jul-23-17, 07:02
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Quote:
Numbers. I'd like numbers. I believe in arithmetic. Arithmetic speaks for everyone and is universally true.

I agree with you here. Cravings are a subjective thing - they're not like breaking out in spots where either the spots are there or they're not. There are emotional and psychological aspects to them and it's hard (at least for me) to separate the two.

Is it unrealistic of me to hope for a home blood insulin meter so I can figure this out once and for all, or would that just be more confusing data? I would donate a crap ton of money to crowd fund this. I want to know if certain things I'm consuming are causing an insulin response but I've conditioned myself to ignore hunger/cravings, or not. Perhaps an anti-hunger affect is taking place that's more profound - example, coffee. The Splenda could be causing an insulin release, but the "fullness" factor of the coffee counteracts it for me. I'd like to know.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jul-23-17, 07:40

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zei
I can't of course speak for anyone else, but just one small Mandarin orange or wedge of watermelon and my body says, "That's real sugar! Where's the rest of the bowl of it?" so I don't eat those anymore. And it isn't just the sweet taste; I can eat stevia-sweetened home made low carb desserts and no reaction. Somehow my body knows when the sugar's for real or not.

My bias is towards this being a conditioned response. Rats can be made to prefer saccharin over sugar if it's consumed in a certain way--feed them some potato, wait a few minutes, and then saccharin--the metabolic effect of the potatoes results in a preference for saccharin that wouldn't develop if it wasn't paired with the food. They'll temporarily prefer the saccharin over the potato. So does the body learn to distinguish real from fake sugar by the taste itself--or by the metabolic consequences that the taste/flavour becomes associated with through experience? Without learning, sweetness itself is a poor predictor of sugar content, fruit containing less bitter/sour elements will taste sweeter.

Aside from that, I find most artificial sweeteners aside from sugar alcohols and splenda have a significant off taste that makes it hard to mistake them for sugar unless they're added to something that's already bitter/complex, like coffee or cocoa.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jul-23-17, 07:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
Is it unrealistic of me to hope for a home blood insulin meter so I can figure this out once and for all, or would that just be more confusing data?

Well, it would be data which is better than nothing or worse if it's misleading.

BG is often taken as an insulin surrogate. There are lots of good reasons to do this, ask a type 1 for instance, but I'm not sure how they apply to cravings or the metabolism of body fat.

Again, I've come up against the wall.