Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-05-01, 14:22

Plan:
Stats: 238/195/170
BF:
Progress:
Red face

Hi,
I have been on the Atkins WOL since mid-January and lost 40lbs in the first three months. I have been stalled for the last four weeks and it has been this forum that has made me keep going. So much encouragement and good advice, mixed with a generous helping of good humour!
I followed the advice and kept taking measurements. Am pleased to report loss of 3 inches around waist and hips. This has helped to reinforce my resolve not to give up.
Having battled the curse of being overweight for the past 30 years, and having tried every diet known to man, I have finally found a WOL I can relate to. I have no doubt I can and will changed the habits of a lifetime.
I have two problems, however:
1: I under-eat! I know I am but cannot make myself eat more. I am never hungry and often force myself to have lunch or breakfast. I have been limiting carbs to 25-30g.
2: For the past few weeks I have been suffering from insomnia. I have never had any problem sleeping and this is quite strange to me. I toss and turn for ages before finally falling asleep, only to wake up before the crack of dawn!! At first I thought it might be the lowcal jello I have in the evenings, so I cut that out. No change.
Does anyone else find they have this problem?
Thanks for your support,
Elaine
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-05-01, 17:06
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Hi Elaine. For under-eating, try smaller meals more frequently (4 or 5 smaller meals). How about early dinner, a small meal before 6PM. This should get you clock synchronized. Under-eating will slow your metabolism, which is the last thing a dieter needs.

Not sure about insomnia, my sleeping actually improves with low-carbing. Has there been a change in your life that might cause this? Did it start when you started low-carbing?

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-05-01, 17:12

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Hi Wa'il,
Thanks - I'll try your suggestion of four small meals a day.
The insomnia only started when I stopped losing weight and started losing inches only. Coincidence? I don't know. There have been a few changes in my life, but all positive. I have finally got enough confidence to make an effort to get back into the workforce and had my first interview yesterday. A milestone for me!!! I used to ask myself who would want to employ an overweight middle-aged woman?????? My self-esteem was rock bottom four months ago. A new me has emerged and I'm very happy with her! The little Angel across my screen reminds me of myself - soaring to new heights!! HA HA HA
Thanks again,
Elaine
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-05-01, 18:07

Plan:
Stats: 143/141/130
BF:
Progress:
Default Can relate to insomnia

Elaine,
I totally can relate to insomnia. I found that on the first week on the low carb program I suffered insomnia every night! It wasn't until I broke the diet that I slept well!

For me, the diet was a massive adjustment to what I normally eat. I put the insomnia down to stressing about the diet, can I do it?, will I lose weight? thoughts rushing through my head whilst lying in bed. I have now relaxed into it and am not as stressed. Its progress not perfection.

Congratulations on the interview! Good luck.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-05-01, 23:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%

For some (like myself), insomnia can be a side effect of ketosis. I had trouble sleeping the first week or two of Atkins. It passes, I assume as our bodies adjust. I imagine stress can play a role too. Changing the way we eat is up there as one of the stressors in life.

Elaine, I have no idea why insomnia would strike several months into low-carbing. I doubt it's related directly to the diet, or it would have hit earlier, and been long gone by now. As you imply, maybe it has to do with a changing self-image - even good things can cause stress!

Hope it goes away and you're sleeping like a baby soon!

Actually, no, I take that back - babies don't sleep for very long at a time, and they wake up cranky....like a cat? a bear in winter? Well, you get my drift!

Rachel
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-06-01, 04:13

Plan:
Stats: 182/179/140
BF:
Progress:
Default kiwi

Hi Elaine

I have just joined this forum, and its great to see another Kiwi, where are you from? I am travelling at the moment and in Dublin, can't wait to return to the land of the long white cloud in October.

Since I started low carbing one week ago, I have been sleeping ok I think, but having very strong weird dreams some of which have woken my poor boyfreind and given him a fright as I yell out some quite strong language in my sleep, and last night even lashed out and hit him, in my sleep.

I think the cause of insomnia can be due to lots of different reasons, try having a cup of camomile tea. It is supposed to help with relaxation and sleep

Monique
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-06-01, 05:05

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Hi guys,
Thank you all for your response. I am going to try some different herbal teas, at this stage willing to try anything!!
Rachel, I'd be quite happy catching a few naps like a baby!
I'm in Te Kuiti Monique. Good to hear from you. Where's your home?
Great news!! I've been called back for a second interview!! Wow I still can't believe I even applied for a job!!
Thanks all for your support.
Elaine
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-12-01, 08:47

Plan:
Stats: 286/254/148
BF:
Progress:

Hi Elaine

I've had different sleep patterns too with the diet, the bad dreams that you get during induction and whilst not insomnia. I sleep for 2 - 3 hours less per day and my eyes often feel a little sore but I just cant sleep for any longer than six hours. Not that its a problem because I have so much more energy.

I cant tell you the detail of it because I cant remember where exactly I read it as I have been trawling the net daily researching low carb and diabetes, glycaemic and insulin indices etc.

One of the things I read, I'm pretty sure has to do with insulin or high blood glucose levels? having an effect on serotonin, a major neurotransmitter in the brain. Although the neurotransmitter, melatonin is responsible for sleep, altering serotonin definitely can have a major effect on sleep.

I know this because I had post natal depression for a few months and the gave me a serotonin reuptake inhibitor drug to make me feel better. Basically works by improving the uptake of serotonin in the brain and the effect it had on me was to make me sleep more soundly and for longer, as well as feeling a bit better.

Possibly the change in diet has slowly resulted in changes in the serotonin level in your brain which may have had a cumulative effect over time?? The other thing I have noticed is that the more supplements I take, the harder I find it is to get off to sleep. Particularly B complex and if taken in the evening.

Medically I dont know a thing though but i have been definitely thinking about upgrading my exercise (from nothing much) to something more strenuous to get rid of some of my excess energy. (What a problem to have!) (Guess everybody here would be a site happier if I went to bed earlier....)

Keep on trying on the job front. I've just got a job and felt just like you but the newly assertive me, went out there and did it! Knowing Te Kuiti, I know jobs are probably few and far between so if at first you dont succeed, dont think its because you're too fat or too old. Just keep on trying and it'll come.

Best Wishes

Nicola
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-12-01, 15:57

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Hi Nicola,
Thank you so much for your response. What you say does make sense. I am also so full of excess energy - what a wonderful feeling! The old couch potato has disappeared forever!
Great news!! I got the job I applied for and started last week. It's at Waitomo, which is 26kms from my home, so that's not too far to travel. As you know, Waitomo is a very popular tourist destination, so I get to meet hundreds of interesting people daily. I still can't believe I am able to stand up with confidence and communicate with these people! I feel so great, sleep doesn't seem so important anymore. I find if I go to bed as late as possible, the nights are not nearly so long. And I don't feel tired when I get up in the morning, so perhaps I'll just ignore the problem and it may correct itself in time.
Keep us posted with your progress!
Best wishes,
Elaine
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-12-01, 15:59
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Woohoo! Congrats Elaine, good luck with the job!

Wa'il
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-14-01, 07:39

Plan:
Stats: 286/254/148
BF:
Progress:

Hi Elaine

Congratulations!! i always put off going to Waitomo because I wanted to do the 'active' tour and knew I'd never make it the way I am now. Also to make the walk up to the waterfall!!

Well done!

I just came across this (i'm on a research mission) and I thought it might be of interest.

"All of the books reviewed also agree that low glycaemic foods will increase production of the brain chemical, serotonin, which quells hunger as well as improving our moods. One author progressed to say that eating foods rich in the amino acid, tyrosine, such as soya bean, fish, eggs and cottage cheese, will produce more of another brain chemical, dopamine, which fights tiredness and helps prevent snacking."

nicola