Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-01-01, 22:03

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy

Is it ok to take Xenadrine, it does have a lot of caffeine, but is it the same kind of caffeine as drinking coffee? I am trying to enter ketosis and having a hard time because for one I was still drinking massive amounts of coffee, and I think it may also be the fact that I take about 4 Xenadrine a day. I can give up both, but I would prefer to continue using Xenadrine, is this going to prevent me from entering ketosis?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-01-01, 22:22
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Welcome aboard Quela. I have no idea, I hear about it but don't waht's in it. I just wanted to say hi, and I'm sure other members who know will jump in with the info.

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-02-01, 05:11

Plan: protein power
Stats: 190/150/145
BF:
Progress: 89%
Default just say no!!!!!!!

xenadrine is not a good choice for permanent results....sure, all the caffeine hyped up in those little capsules will make you go VVRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMMMMM fore a while, but the CRASH after is HORRIBLE!!!!!!........trust me---been there done that....thanks to all of my bouts (when i was young and dumb as a rock) with miracle pills and a lovely case of bulimia, my once perfect heart has a slight arythmia.....i don't think you would want one of those......throw those god awful things OUT!!!!!!!!!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-02-01, 05:40

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I have no idea what those pills are, but I never gave up coffee and it did not affect my weight loss or ketosis. Perhaps you should give up one or the other for starters and see what happens from there.
Good luck, Debra
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-02-01, 13:21
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally posted by Quela
Is it ok to take Xenadrine, it does have a lot of caffeine, but is it the same kind of caffeine as drinking coffee? I am trying to enter ketosis and having a hard time because for one I was still drinking massive amounts of coffee, and I think it may also be the fact that I take about 4 Xenadrine a day.
hi Quela,

Caffeine is caffeine, whatever the source - coffee, pills, most tea and chocolate, diet coke, etc...... The caffeine in 4 xenadrine pills would probably be no more than one cup of coffee. I have posted previously about caffeine and lowcarb diets; click here to read it. Basically, there is little scientific evidence that caffeine will interfere with ketosis and fat-burning for most lowcarbers. However, it can inhibit fat-burning in persons who are very insulin resistant, persons with Type 2 diabetes, PCOS, and extreme metabolic resistant dieters. That's why it's suggested for folks who are stalled out and not losing weight and inches (forget what the ketone stix say) to consider cutting out caffeine.

Xenadrine has a lot more in it than just caffeine. It's an ephedra-containing thermogenic stack drug, designed for rapid fat-burning for athletes in training. Each pill contains 20 mg of ephedra, in ADDITION to 5mg of synephrine, the caffeine, salicylate and others. This is a serious drug. For most people who use ephedra for fat-burning, the dose is 20 mg with caffeine and aspirin, 3 x, not 4 x per day. And you start out very gradually, and build yourself up to that amount. The additon of synephrine intensifies the increased metabolic effect. The whole idea is that these drugs are meant for serious athletes and body builders, under the supervision of a professional trainer. The side effects can be really harmful. Here is the warning about Xenedrine, from a site that sells the product,
Quote:
Warning Statement:
Do not use if you are pregnant or nursing or if you are at risk of or are being treated for high blood pressure, liver, thyroid, or psychiatric disease, diabetes, pernicious anemia, nervousness, anxiety, depression, seizure disorder, cardiac arrythmias, stroke, pheochromacytoma, or difficulty in urination due to prostate enlargement. Consult your healthcare professional before use if you are taking an MAO inhibitor or any other prescription drug. Discontinue use and consult your healthcare practitioner if dizziness, sleeplessness, tremors, nervousness, headache palpitations occur. ............... http://www.bodyden.com/xenedrineBD308info.html
Here's something else to consider. In May 1998, a woman slammed her car into the rear-end of another vehicle on the Peace Arch bridge between Seattle and BC, killing the two young women in it. The woman claimed she was temporarily insane, under the hallucinatory influence of a "weight loss pill" she had taken for 5 days, but stopped 4 days before the accident. The drug was Xenadrine. Hmmm...

Doreen