Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-11-14, 13:59
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/280/150 Female 5 ft  3 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Shirataki Pasta

Hi, I have read the pro's and con's of eating Shirataki noodles, (spaghetti ) but Walmart has a few brands that sound interesting. The reviews said they really were good compared to just plain Shirataki noodles. The ingredients of one brand states: 2 oz serving: Calories 20 / Sat Fat 0 G / Trans fat 0 G/
Cholesterol 0 mg/ Sodium 0 mg / Total Carb 4 Gr./ Fiber 3 G / Protien 1 G/

The ingredients are : water, Potato Starch, Konjac Flour, calcium Hydroxide, Reduced Iron & Folic acid.

My concern outside of the taste is...
1. Total Carb ~ 4 Gr. that equals = to 1 tsp of sugar.
2. The use of Potato Starch. Would the potato starch make your insulin
spike?
I'm wanting to give them a try. Any input on this would be helpful
Thanks,
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-11-14, 14:14

Plan: Atkins / M&E
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

I've wanted to try these but haven't been able to find them. I'll have to check my local walmart now
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-11-14, 17:55

Plan: atkins/LC
Stats: 275/198/145 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 59%

Amazon sells them, and if you look for the 'miracle noodle', they are listed as 0 carb, 0 cal, 0 fat, and they are all konjacu flour. I have used them just for the 0 cal (just re-starting lo carb); and all you really (and I mean REALLY) need to do is rinse them well. The water they are packed in smells a little funny. We add them right to whatever we're cooking. They are good in soups and as substitute pasta. The 'rice' is really much more like little pearls of pasta than actual rice. Some folks say they lightly sautee the noodles first, which gives them a different texture. They are kind of...what's the right description...maybe rubbery? Like, if you take a forkful, the dangly noodles don't just break off like regular pasta - you have to bite them. I would definitely recommend giving them a try to see if you like them, but stay away from the ones with potato starch or tofu!!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-12-14, 02:49

Plan: AIP (autoimmune paleo)
Stats: 235/185/165 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 71%

These fell into the "why bother?" category for me - they are really a different taste and texture from regular pasta, rubbery and gooey. I tried them several different ways and ultimately decided they're really not for me. I'm not someone who uses replacement products for low-carb foods, though, maybe for someone else they'd be really helpful.

I think the amount of potato starch or tofu is really negligible (like under a tablespoon for the whole pack) so everyone needs to make the decision they are comfortable with on that front, but I've read that the texture is improved when ingredients other than just glucomannan are included (didn't make much difference for me personally, but they just didn't click for me)
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-12-14, 09:56

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

I agree the texture is way different, but i like these on occasion (i buy 2-3 bags about once a month, and usually them all within a week).

favorite ways:
with melted cheese sauce- like mac and cheese

with Asian peanut sauce and veggies- melt pb, soysauce, a little splenda or truvia, unsweetened rice vinegar, and crushed red pepper flaskes. stir well.

to make chicken noodle soup!

to make pasta salads

while i normally prefer suateed spinach or zuchinni "zoodles" as my "pasta base" for sauces/meats- i think the shirataki are a fun change once in a while.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-18-14, 10:06
Craft Ninja!

Plan: Dr. Atkins/Dr. Westman
Stats: 204/194/169 Female 5'6" inches
BF:high wght over 204
Progress: 29%

I have tried them and I like them for a change. Actually, I use them more for my DH than myself (he feels guilty eating noodles when I don't) . I stick with the ones that have no potato or tofu. They are rubbery, but for a treat like noodles and butter, I like them.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-20-14, 10:57
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

I did buy some and gave it a try. I washed them well and didn't have a problem with fish smell. I had some left over spaghetti sauce, so I mixed them in with the sauce. They were ok, I prefere regular pasta, but hey, when you can't eat the real mccoy, go with the next best thing. I really didn't mind them and ate the whole thing. I'm getting some that have the shape of rice that I plan to use in making cabbage rolls. Let you know later how that turns out.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-20-14, 14:58
Craft Ninja!

Miss Jean, I've thought about getting the rice shaped ones to make sushi with. I wonder if that will work? I love sushi! Not raw sushi, but lots of others. And we can eat most sushi ingredients except the rice. What do you guys think? Or is there something else I could use instead? (maybe just use lettuce leaves for the wrap. Not the same, but...)
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-26-14, 18:26
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Colleen, Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I would give them a try, and see how they work out. I made some meatloaf today using pork rinds instead of bread crumbs. I had some venison. I mixed onions and green peppers with them, baked for 1 hr and it smelled good. The meatloaf was eatable but not really enjoyable. Too dry. Now I'm trying to figure out what to do with the meat loaf to improve it. I won't throw it out, food is too expensive. Maybe fix it in some sort of wrap. Hmmm, that's a thought. Oh, I ordered Shirataki pasta & rice through Swanson's. No one carried the rice in our area. Let me know how your Suhsi comes out. I bet it's pretty good.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, May-26-14, 20:16

Stats: 180/154/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 52%

You can run a pizza cutter over noodles to make rice. I think noodles are less expensive than rice.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-26-14, 21:50
Craft Ninja!

Miss Jean, if you have more ground venison, and some ground pork to it to make it juicier. I love venison! But haven't had it in awhile.

Pollyanna, I thought about cutting the noodles...may try that since I have some already.

I'll let you guys know about the sushi! I'm thinking avocado, cream cheese, and something ... not sure yet. :-)
  #12   ^
Old Tue, May-27-14, 15:01
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Great Idea ... running pizza cutter over the noodles to make rice. I'm going to give that a try. My venison meatloaf somehow tasted much better after being in the fridge for over 24 hrs. It was more moist and flavor improved. How or why, I don't know, but it did. The mysteries of life. lol
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Mar-28-15, 11:48

Stats: 170/168/155 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress:

I love the Konjac noodles/rice. For a treat, I rinse the rice in COLD water for a few minutes then dry them. I then warm them up in a pan then put them in a bowl and add butter, cinnamon and splenda. Ohhhh so good!!