Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-25-17, 07:00

Plan: ≤ 20 carbs & IF
Stats: 292/235/170 Male 72 Inches
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default Skinny Man in Fat Man Suit?

I'm just wondering now, when I am successful and get back to my normal weight, I'm 57, what are the odds my skin will go back to normal?

I notice the weight loss in my face and my 2nd chin is starting to hang down like a little bag now

Is there anything I can do to minimize the effect?

Bill
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-25-17, 09:48

BF:

Mainly, I'm concerned about my belly fat. I also notice that my legs where my edema was are like totally normal, tight skin - also my thighs are tight and I did't develop big "moobs" so I think I'll be OK there My chest is staying pretty tight but I do have fat that hangs over my belt...
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-25-17, 13:11

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Loose skin after WL is different based on genetics, age, etc. but an esthetitian at a hospital has said she can see a difference between WLS loss (much loose skin) and those who lose through the VLC clinic (less, tighter, skin tone better) again likely due to more protein.
The man who knows it all, has lived it, and posted pictures is Ken this one short article has links to all his success stories https://www.dietdoctor.com/way-eating-saved. Or ask in his journal.

EDIT adding this thread on what you can do about it, Ken is on it. His info right here: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=476884
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-25-17, 18:38

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

As I lost 60 lbs, I found that my skin/fat would become loose & droopy/flabby every ~10 lbs or so, then firm up, then get loose & flabby again etc as I continued to lose weight. Maybe not back to "normal", since I am 45 years older now, but I don't have 60 lbs of empty skin hanging down. And I only have one chin now.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-25-17, 20:16

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonBill
I'm just wondering now, when I am successful and get back to my normal weight, I'm 57, what are the odds my skin will go back to normal?

I notice the weight loss in my face and my 2nd chin is starting to hang down like a little bag now

Is there anything I can do to minimize the effect?

Bill

How long have you been the size you were (290 lbs) ? I think that can have an affect on outcome as well. Not much you can do about it till you see where you land Certainly don't let it be a determining factor on regaining your health.

I think an old member here (old to me anyway) and one that I hope is still alive or if there is a heaven looking down on us, said...

"i treat mine as battle scars but mine are easily covered." Now that is an outstanding attitude! http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=462446

My skin has bounced back pretty good. I'm sure there some genetic luck involved but one thing I think I've done differently than most here is cut way back on protein for the second year of my journey, mostly ala Fung. As I understand it the majority of protein (amino acids) in our body is recycled. Skin is made of protein.

Also, I've been very physically active which may have promoted keeping more muscle mass up as it was continually activated and skin just sort of was getting a free ride so some was expendable (hypothesis)

Another observation from reading and I find it true for myself and I think Ken might have observed this too is that as fat is lost, the supporting structure (fat) that kept the skin taught has been lost, there is still A LOT of fat left in your remaining skin and gravity has not changed so the "hanging" tissue is both skin and fat, mostly fat really. As the fat melts away the skin appears to "tighten" but it's really just not being pulled down so hard by the extra attached fat.

These are just my wacky theories. If you seach around the internets you'll get thousands more. Pick one you agree with

Let us know how it goes and if you find a solution!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-25-17, 20:34
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Bill.

I can only repeat what Janet said about age and genetics playing a part. I do believe that the length of time it takes to lose the weight also makes a difference, hence the difference in the folk who undergo WLS - something I would never ever recommend by the way.

I am 10 years older than you and also female, so I guess maybe hormones might have something to do with it? I don't really know about that one.
It has now been more than two and a half years since my 100 pounds slid off, and I wish I could tell you that my skin has now returned to its previous elasticity and... but that would be a lie. My face is - well, it's not too bad really. My neck is downright scrawny, but hey, I'd rather be scrawny than fat! Same with my flabby arms, legs etc. And at my age, I figure I probably look better in longish sleeves and long trousers anyway. And now only you and I need know the reason why.
Good news? Okay, there is some. After more than two years, I think it's all getting a bit better. My tummy pooch is definitely better. Really. It's still there (dammit!) but definitely smaller. But remember, I'm 10 years older than you and a woman to boot.

So cheer up. You're a lad of 57, you're going to be just fine. Just remember, a wee wrinkle here or there beats carrying all that extra weight around any day of the week!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-26-17, 10:46

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Loose skin after WL is different based on genetics, age, etc. but an esthetitian at a hospital has said she can see a difference between WLS loss (much loose skin) and those who lose through the VLC clinic (less, tighter, skin tone better) again likely due to more protein.
The man who knows it all, has lived it, and posted pictures is Ken this one short article has links to all his success stories https://www.dietdoctor.com/way-eating-saved. Or ask in his journal.

EDIT adding this thread on what you can do about it, Ken is on it. His info right here: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=476884

WOW! That's quite an amazing story and very encouraging! Thanks! (The picture is worth 1,000 words as the old saying goes!)
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Aug-26-17, 10:50

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
As I lost 60 lbs, I found that my skin/fat would become loose & droopy/flabby every ~10 lbs or so, then firm up, then get loose & flabby again etc as I continued to lose weight. Maybe not back to "normal", since I am 45 years older now, but I don't have 60 lbs of empty skin hanging down. And I only have one chin now.

Thanks. Just since I posted this I have noticed that little "bag" under my chin has gotten smaller, so maybe I'll be lucky!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Aug-26-17, 10:59

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
How long have you been the size you were (290 lbs) ? I think that can have an affect on outcome as well. Not much you can do about it till you see where you land Certainly don't let it be a determining factor on regaining your health.

It's been a gradual thing. I was about 260 10 years ago and went on a sort of crash diet that lasted about a month or so and got down to 240, wound up giving it up and gradually climbed back up to 305 about 2 years ago when I was diagnosed with pre-type II. I made moderate lifestyle changes, more more or less the ADA type diet and thought I was doing OK, my weight went down a little to exactly 292 over the last two years but my A1C had shot up to over 10 and I was suffering multiple side effects - that's what brought me here.

Tomorrow will be 3 weeks and and I am impressed by the amazing positive changes by body is going through now - and it's easy for me to maintain this diet because I don't have to starve, and I'm simply not as hungry any more. It's been like a miracle so far.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Aug-26-17, 11:07

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud
Hi Bill.

So cheer up. You're a lad of 57, you're going to be just fine. Just remember, a wee wrinkle here or there beats carrying all that extra weight around any day of the week!

Yes, before I asked this question I has been looking at "loose skin" photos on Google and was a little shocked - on the other hand if I was vain I'd have never let myself get so fat to begin with! Now I'm thinking, "I should be so lucky as to someday have loose skin!" lol.

I'll do what I can to minimize this effect and hope for the best, that's all I can do.

Thanks for the suggestions.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Aug-27-17, 12:18

BF:

Here is something new.

My wife is from Thailand and her best friend from Thailand is a not only a masseuse but was trained in the Thai Traditional Way Healing which is a tradition in her family going back for generations.

She says the way to help my skin tighten as I loose weight is by periodically slapping or spanking the skin until it reddens. My wife came back from having dinner with her friend with a bran new fly swatter lol. This morning after breakfast she had me lay down and stretch out on the bed, (that pretty much does make my belly fairly flat as the fat droops to the sides), and she proceeded to beat on me with that fly swatter on the top, sides and back until my skin was red!

Allegedly, this stimulates the body's natural healing mechanisms in the skin.

I actually did a bit of googling to see if I could find any reference to this and it seems there's another Thai healer in San Francisco that uses the technique to tighten skin in the faces of her patrons. There have been a number of stories about her. Here is one with comments by a doctor:

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-sty...ticle-1.1191100

I have no idea if this will work or not, but it seems to make some sense so I'm gona let my wife beat me once a week, if nothing else, just for fun lol.

Bill

Last edited by TucsonBill : Sun, Aug-27-17 at 16:41.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Aug-27-17, 19:00

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

I'd take that punishment Bill! - If there's any merit to this it might be similar to the agitation caused by "dry brushing" I've heard about. Continue the beatings, can't hurt... too much
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Aug-28-17, 02:48

Same idea as Thud...it is similar to Dry Brushing. If you read that list from the Duke Esthetitian, Dry Brushing is their top advice, and massage is Recommended too. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...52&postcount=14

Massages will stimulate circulation and help drain the lymph system, maybe the collagen benefits too, but at least if you are going to be beaten with a swatter, get a nice massage after
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Aug-28-17, 05:27

BF:

Well, as things look right now I've got a fairly good bunch of extra skin on my belly. I took a photo. If the treatment works, I'll share the before and after, if not... maybe I wont :P
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Aug-28-17, 06:31

If this truly concerns you, add some of the other techniques and make note of this comment:
"Best to start a regime while losing weight but even at four months bouncing around near to goal weight is OK. Better now than waiting until a year later after you stop losing weight. All these techniques will improve the skin, which continues to shrink and tighten further for at least a year after weight loss. ". You worry about many things early in the journey, as your university DD likely would say as mine does, chillax.