Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 13:39

Plan: atkins
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 26%
Question does anyone work shifts

hi there...

I've been doing atkins since july 29/2002...

one of the reasons I started is because I was very ill and in hospital early last year and had been feeling lousy for months previous... I was sick and tired of being sick and tired...

I do feel better and while still in the recovery process from surgeries I feel better than I have in ages...

the problem I have is that my work requires shifts... 12 hour ones... sometimes all night and sometimes all day... so there's no set routine... I seriously think that was part of why I became ill in the first place... the up and down and not getting a really good sleep...

I'm working my way back into a regular work pattern but I'm really worried about trying to fight back and forth time line...

anyone here do anything like this?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 22:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Ugh

I wish I had some good advice for how to deal with your situation, but I don't. I know how it takes a toll on me when I don't get at least a good 6 hours in at night.

The very best advice I have is to try to stay realy well organized and prepared with your grocery shopping and menu planning. At least this way you can try to cook as much in advance as possible so that you have meals ready and at your fingertips when you need them. And therefore more time for sleep when you can fit it in...

Thank you for joining us in the forum and the Triple Digits Club. Please let us know how things are going and how you work things out.

Donald
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 00:15

BF:
Default thanks

thanks Donald...

I took a look at your pictures today and from that shot it doesn't even look like you need to drop anymore... well done...

night shift definitely sucks hardcore... here I am at 01:15 in the morning thinking I'd rather be sleeping thank you very much...

before I used to eat piles of sweets and drink lots of coke... no wonder I felt like crap all the time...

anyway... so far so good about the food... I guess I'll just have to see how I sleep...
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 05:07
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi pww,

I worked night shift for a total of 15 years so I can empathize with you. I can remember that awful tired feeling and eating just for something to do.

My best advice is to be as prepared as you possibly can - but you probably know that. Having meals and snacks ready in the freezer or fridge to take with you to work or to have handy for when you are feeling blah has to help.

Perhaps it may help to look at BeccaResRN's journal. She has lost over 40 pounds while working shift work. Here is the link to her journal.

I'm sorry to hear you were so sick. Glad you are now recovering.

All the best!

Rosebud
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-03, 12:01

BF:
Default hi Rosebud

thanks... you're right about the eating to keep occupied...

I think my biggest problem is the exhaustion.. I'm so tired by the wee hours that I'm twitching... desperate for sleep... it's an awful feeling... usually I'd have a coke or something and that would get me through for a bit... but I can't drink that stuff anymore...

thanks for the link... I'll go take a look