Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-12-02, 09:18

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 280/258/228
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default gym vs home

Main question: I have just a weight bench and adjustable bars and dumbbells at home. Can I do enough at home to drop my gym membership, it runs out in March

Secondary: What exercises can I do at home to maintain appearances with this equipment? I doubt I’d like to lift more than twice a week, and not as long especially when summer comes.

Background: This looks like ‘you get what you pay for’ situation. I joined a gym based 100% on location, downstairs from my job and I think it is relatively cheap although I have not compared other places. The problem, mostly, it’s high on image but low on substance. They have ‘trainers’ but when I asked for a specific workout based on what my goals were, they could only offer vague suggestions to modify their standard lifting schedule. Their training sessions are nothing more then you do a set, they do a set, and two minutes of bull session about the weather or local events. Plus the convenience doesn’t work when you can’t use a locker overnight, and the fitness classes they offer are already filled with older members and a long list ahead of you waiting for a spot.

But enough about that. My main sports are skiing, biking, and hiking. My participation dropped to nothing because of work/school and my weight grew along with it. Now that I’m losing weight and have the time again to do these things, perhaps I don’t need gym exercises to help. But I do like the weight workouts. I’m finally getting stronger from them. I want to be able to continue at home.

Just looking for advice.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-12-02, 10:13
Registered Member

Plan: Shark Cycle Plan
Stats: 410/323/250
BF:
Progress: 54%

Yes, you have enough equipment to get a decent workout. Some examples are:

Chest
Bench Press
Dumbbell Press
Dumbbell Flye

Shoulders
Military Press
Arnold Press
Front side and rear lateral

Back
Barbell & dumbbell row

Arms
Curls
Extensions
kickbacks
skull crushers

Legs
Squats
Lunges
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-02, 08:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 249/249/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I agree with Shark--I did weight lifting for over a year at home with a bench and dumbbells. Also, if you can add some aerobic exercise on the days you don't lift, it can help. At least it helped me. I have a treadmill, but you can walk outside, jump rope, stairstep, or stationary bike at home.

I love my home gym. I do it first thing in the morning before work. If I had to go to a gym after work, I know I'd make excuses and end up quitting.

Good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-11-02, 19:18

Plan: Loony plans
Stats: 205/146/145 Male 5'6" - 167cm
BF:28%/ around 10%/7%
Progress: 98%
Thumbs up GYMMMMMM

I have done both.
I got better results from the gym, especialy for the legs.

In the gym, you have plenty of equipment. So u can change moves as often as you want to keep shocking the stuborn muscles to grow.

Plus, you can't go as heavy at home, especialy when using heavy Barbel, for squating, benching etc... u lack spotters, and u lack weight stands.

I do exercise at home right now. I use dumbbells and barbells, a bench, a pull up bar, and heavy plates. I try to go as heavy as I can while keeping it safe. Now, I am doing good, but progress is slower, mainly in the legs.

In my opinion, and based on my experience, Gym is better.
But that doesn't mean home can't be good!!! I added 10 pounds of muscles working out at home. But the gym fascilitates and speeds the whole process.

God Bless
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-02, 15:17

Plan: MyLCWOL
Stats: 485/366/210 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%
Question Do what works for you

You have enough equipement at home to build a fair basic routine. The question really is are you disciplined enough to do a home workout. If so, in the short term, a home workout could do the trick. I think though that looney is correct in that you have a wider range of apparatus available at the gym. According to some folks you should rotate you routine about every four weeks. If your doing bench press, then after four weeks move to inclined press with dumb bells.

I also have a gym at work. It costs me $12 a month. If you look at Baileys or other gym you will pay 2 to 3 times that amount. About overnight lockers, not sure I understand. I sweat when I workout, things would be pretty raunchy if left overnight? Now I don't know what other equipment your facility has, but mine also has a full set of Cardio equipment. You could be doing 20-30 minutes Cardio on lifting days and more on off days.

Sounds like you've already made up your mind so If you need to ask here if you need more details on setting up a home workout. You might look into getting a real Personal Trainer for a few sessions to help set up a real routine and demostrate proper technique.

Regards,
Lux