Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-20-04, 06:57

Plan: atkins
Stats: 205/205/165 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default any advice?

Good Evening everyone. I am new to this site, but not to low carb.
I had huge success with Atkins back in 2001. I lost 60lbs quickly and was able to keep it off for the last 2-3 years. The creep got me. I have put back on 40 lbs and have been unsuccessful in attempts to lose again, for the last year. I have tried stillman and also the fat fast to no avail (no loss at all???)
I am a firm believer in this way of life, I do feel much better while I am following low carb, but I really want to lose the weight too,
Has anyone here had a simular problem? Any suggestions for a breaker? I have gone 8 weeks with no losses.
I drink a cup or two of coffee daily, a few scrambled eggs for breakfast.
Salad with chicken for lunch. steak and veggies for dinner. During induction I will have a few slices of cheese or raw veggies for a snack. I do have some cream cheese and splenda when I get a craving, but otherwise that is what my diet consists of.
I checked my intake on fitday and seem to stay below 1400 calories a day.
Any advise or words of wisdom would be wonderful. I asked my doctor and he was about clueless mumbled something about watching what I eat and get more exercise as he ran from the room! hmp!

Thanks so much
Bonnie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-20-04, 09:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hello Bonnie and welcome to the board. I wonder if you are eating enough calories and fat? Most doctors are pretty uninformed about low carbing and how to do it.

Most people around the board suggest that a person should probably eat either 10 or 12 times their goal weight to be sure they are eating enough calories to reassure the body that it is safe to lose & there is not a famine.

So if you're aiming at 160 - a good goal for your 5'8" height - you'd need either 1600 or 1920 calories daily for that. People often need to add more calories in terms of fat to begin to lose.

That's my 2 cents worth. All the best.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-20-04, 09:37

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 232.8/210/185 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 48%

I think she is right... I think 1400 is too low for your weight right now.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-20-04, 18:15

Plan: atkins
Stats: 205/205/165 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Helpful

I hadn't thought about it that way......... I was thinking that I should start limiting calories to kick start losing. Not the case? Ok (big smiles) I was hungry as heck last night!!! I will try adding more meats and see how that goes. Thanks so much

Bonnie
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-21-04, 13:13
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203/182/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%

Good luck, Bonnie! To answer your first question, I had almost the same problem. I lost on Atkins several years ago with no problem, and maintained for several years till I made a conscious (albeit stupid) decision to switch from what was working to a low-fat plan. Since then, I've returned to Atkins several times and had some success, but never like it was the first time.

This time, I returned several months ago and was going nowhere till I increased my calories and exercise, and added a few supplements. My loss is still agonizingly slow, but at least it's there. I'm just now accepting that I can't lose the way so many others do on this site, by just cutting carbs.