Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-15-01, 13:01
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 224/166/145
BF:
Progress: 73%
Question question about cal boost

How on earth can I go from a fat fast one day to eating 2100 calories the next? I weigh 164 and 13x that is 2132. I am going to be uncomfortably stuffed. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-15-01, 13:23
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Question

hi Christine,

I'm having the same question, since I have a hard time stuffing in more than 1600 calories ANY day. What I plan to do is .... PLAN. Write a menu in advance, work out the calories, protein fat and carbs (remember must have 25 carbs in the form of veggies) . Eating a lot of cheese would be a good way to bump up the calories and fat .... but then the day is DAIRY-FREE ..

So, sit down and write up a menu and STICK TO IT. Don't let the day just happen to you, or you'll end up it's evening, and you've only had in half the day's requirement.

That's what I intend to do. Maybe it'll be helpful for you too.

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-15-01, 17:09
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Flax seed oil?

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-15-01, 17:34
Forum Founder

BF:

Oil will definitely be one of my tools, but you can overdose on the omega3's .. maximum 3 Tbsp per day is recommended by Udo Erasmus.

X. virgin olive oil, homemade canola mayo and ghee/clarified butter will be my other ammunition.

Plus bigger meat portions, and yes, learn to like chicken skin. Right now, I really don't like chicken skin. Bleeaahhh, ickkk, ptooieeee!

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-15-01, 22:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%

I'm wondering if you couldn't 'whazz up' the chicken skin (cooked brown and crispy) with some cooked egg yolk, seasonings, and a bit of oil to stick it together? Make a sort of pate? I'm going to try it, anyway.

Rachel
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-16-01, 01:13
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

That sounds great! Wrapped up in lettuce leaves. Sort of like a chicken skin chopped liver?

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-16-01, 09:26

BF:

Yah. I've just bought some bacon which is quite fatty (under the lean top slice, I hate that!). Think I'll trim off some of the fat and brown it together with the chicken skin.

Rachel
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-01, 17:17

Plan: Low Carb Whatever?
Stats: 263/230/125 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 24%

I am having a hard time with this... I understand the no dairy part and max 25 grams for the carbs.... but is there a maximum for the protein and fat??? Can I just eat lots of meat, bacon or eggs???

Last edited by Sadai : Wed, Aug-22-01 at 17:32.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-01, 17:36
Forum Founder

BF:

You must consume 13 times your weight in calories. 25g carbs in the form of green veggies only, and that equals 100 calories. So, the remainder must come from protein and fat. That's my understanding. Yesterday I ate a lot of protein, and was so full .. it was really hard. Tomorrow is calorie boost day again for me, and I learned my lesson!!! I am going to make up the bulk of my calories from FAT. Pork rinds dipped in mayonnaise. Extra olive oil dribbled on meat and salads. etc , etc ... 1 Tbsp oil or fat provides 120 calories. That's easier than trying to stuff in another chicken breast when yer already stuffed!

Doreen
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-01, 18:02

BF:

Just wondering isn't mayo a dairy product?? Also can we eat nuts or sesame seeds??? I must admit I am feeling very ill at the moment.... I had no problem with the fat fast but this is awful!!!
as for carbs I am using fitday to calculate my daily consumption. Doesn't it do it all for me or do I need to add as well eg:

Quote:
You must consume 13 times your weight in calories. 25g carbs in the form of green veggies only, and that equals 100 calories.

I never dreamed that I would have to eat this amount, its soooo hard !!!! Any sugeestions would be appreciated I am up to 1700 cal but I still need to do another 1000 by day end..... HELP!!! I am sick of eating...........

Last edited by Sadai : Wed, Aug-22-01 at 18:17.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-01, 19:31
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
[Just wondering isn't mayo a dairy product??
No. real mayonnaise is either whole egg or egg yolk, lemon juice or vinegar and oil. YOu can make your own, any good cookbook will have a recipe, or you can type mayonnaise into the Search function, select the Lowcarb Kitchen forum and hit Enter.
Quote:
Also can we eat nuts or sesame seeds??
No. The carbs can come from lowcarb vegetables ONLY. So no liver, no cream, no cheese or dairy of any kind, no avocadoes and no nuts, the carbs are too high. Limit the eggs (no, eggs aren't dairy )
Quote:
I I am up to 1700 cal but I still need to do another 1000 by day end..... HELP!!! I am sick of eating........... ]
This is why it's so important to PLAN IN ADVANCE. At least the day before, it's a good idea to sit down and KNOW how much and what you have to eat. This will help you to spread it out evenly through the day. Otherwise you end up facing 1,000 calories late at night...

I do understand though, last night I thought I'd burst at the thought of eating a big supper after all I'd eaten through the day, but then after supper, I had some herb tea, and it wasn't too bad, and I slept well. I made sure I ate all I had to eat before 8 pm.

Try sipping oil - X. virgin olive oil, or fresh flax oil if you have it. 120 calories per Tbsp.

Doreen
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-01, 10:46

BF:

Rachel, or Karen?
Re: Calorie Boost: I actually made it thru the day, but it was very difficult, It literally made me sick!! and I am wondering why we need to do 2 Calorie boosts per week and could I possible exchange one Calorie boost (tomorrows) for a fat fast instead... maybe I could do a individual twist with the study???
Sandi
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-01, 14:49

BF:

Well, in order to be a bona fide participant in the study, none of us can change any of the parameters .... the whole point is to keep the variables consistent, as much as we can, anyway. If anyone wants to 'exchange' one day for another, skip days, modify days (eg 1500 cals on Fat Fast day), there's nothing to stop them from doing so, but then, by definition, they're no longer part of this study. That's not to say we can't do a different study in the future, if your way turns out to be more successful!

Best of luck to you, whatever you decide!

Rachel
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-01, 15:13

BF:

No Problem!! but could you tell me what is the reason behind so many calories?? Just curious........