Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Fri, Jul-17-15, 13:42
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb/ IF
Stats: 185/175.2/145 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 25%

LOL I would never wag a finger either Blue......but then, maybe, in exchange, you could ease up on the stink eye,lol. You have, as always, my admiration in how you handle life....enjoying it in the moment, living it to the fullest, then refocusing and getting back on board with your goals. Just as I am on a low point, I read your post, and your attitude speaks to me, convincing me that is exactly what I need to tell myself.

Kathy, I feel bad for you, and totally understand how frustrated you must be. I don't recall if you have tried intermittent fasting, or if that worked for you. That has worked for me in the past, in the short term, where nothing else had, but now I can't get seem to stay committed.....jumping ship whenever the opportunity to do so arises . Getting back on is harder and harder. sigh

I shall not give up though. The battle continues....

Happy for your kitties, that you are back, Blue. How do I read about your trip on facebook, if I may ask?

Have a marvelous weekend all!
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Fri, Jul-17-15, 15:10

Plan: Keto
Stats: 211.9/194.4/145 Female 67 "
BF:Good question!
Progress: 26%

Hi Ronchin. I intermittent fast on a regular basis. Mostly I use the "eat within an 8 hour window" method of fasting and most days it's a 7 hour window.

I don't give up either...I keep trucking. Maybe one day my body will let go.
  #93   ^
Old Fri, Jul-17-15, 15:42
It's Only Food!

Plan: Ketogenic / IF
Stats: 279/248/210 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Whoo-hoo! Good to see you both! Before I get all caught up in typing I just wanted to mention that I saw a comment on facebook that someone was praying for Lanson and Linda's family. I have NO idea what happened but hope to hear from her soon. Baseball injury? I do hope everything is okay and she isn't stressed to the max. I know how I'd feel.

Kathy, I really think that somewhere there is a combination that will help you get over this hurdle. I can't imagine the struggle, but your attitude and tenacity are to be admired. Really, what can you do? If you just give up we know the outcome and that isn't good. If you're anything like me, you slam on weight faster than a speeding bullet or Superman leaping tall buildings in a single bound. I didn't eat myself stupid but those pounds hunted me down and jumped all over me anyway, the little ~#$%&s!

Ronchin, I've had so many years of just giving up and I know the outcome. Four-year-old Blue takes over now and then only because I let her. I have a choice how I face it and facing it is ALWAYS the better option because I can't go back to where I was. I like where I am and I just need to get the rest of the way done. You are closer to goal and that's not an easy place either. C'mon and let's just work at this. Unfortunately it's a never-ending exercise. It's part of life. I captured good memories with my spree in Kentucky. What I have to do now may seem hard but I'll like myself so much more. I found out that's my reward.

You know how some people buy themselves something they've always wanted after they reach a goal or milestone? I think that is a wonderful thing to do. But that carrot on a stick never worked with me. Heck, I'd just buy what I wanted anyway. But I ultimately found my carrot. It's waking up and liking myself for being true to myself. Yeah, nothing feels better.

I'm not smart. I just tried everything first and finally got to a place I made progress. You have it in you too. I'm sure of it.

You can friend me on facebook if you want. Message me here and I'll let you know how. Warning: You'll see pictures of my cats, treks we take periodically, sometimes my artwork, and generally anything that crosses my brain. I'm fixin' to (that's a southern phrase I've picked up along the way) post pictures from our trip to Kentucky. It was so flamin' humid that I had Einstein hair for most of the trip. It's a good thing I'm not vain. Okay.....let's say I'm not overly vain. I do have some pride somewhere.

I'll make a deal with you. I'll ease up on the stink eye if y'all post more.
  #94   ^
Old Fri, Jul-17-15, 15:50

Plan: HFLC
Stats: 197/168/157 Female 5 ft 1 inch
BF:
Progress: 73%

Welcome back Blue
I, too, expected the stinkeye. I looked in last night to see if you were back and I was surprised to see that nobody posted while you were gone. But I was too wiped out to write anything. I probably don't have a good excuse for not checking in before, except I have several art quilt deadlines coming up.

Blue I enjoyed your reports on Facebook. I hope the workshop met all of your expectations. It looks like the farm where you stayed was amazing. What fun.

I hear your frustrations both Blue and Kathy. Don't give up you guys you have both come so far. I stayed below 160 for a few weeks, then went back up and had to start over again. Now staying betweem 160 and 163.

Yesterday the whole family, all 7 of us, went to Adventure Land in Des Moines. We all had a wonderful day. I ate on plan for lunch and a snack. But mid afternoon I was lured in by watching everyone else eating dippin dots. I looked up the nutrition and ingredients on my smart phone and decided to get one. It was really quite good, and not a ridiculous amount of carbs or calories. But this morning I was up 2 pounds. I don't think it would have that big of an effect that quick, so I was probably destined to go up today even without the dippin dots. I must have walked 5 miles yesterday so hopefully it will offset any effects.

My room is really coming along. They put primer on the drywall this week. I picked out paint colors, and flooring. It is exciting.

Hasta La Vista
  #95   ^
Old Sun, Jul-19-15, 07:17
It's Only Food!

BF:

Mornin', Kids!

Susan, your room is really taking shape! Can't wait to see the finished product. I saw your pics from Adventure Land and you looked so happy with the family. Glad you had a great outing. I've seen Dippin' Dots on Marc Summers show about how favorite foods are made but never tasted them. I've been forewarned.

I'm down a pound and a half. It's bloat but I count that too. It slammed on me and I counted it so I may as well count it when it leaves. Tomorrow is back to reality and data. I am SO ready to retire. I could get very used to having time on my own terms. Oh yes, I could.

I learned a lot of new techniques in the workshop and will incorporate them as I go. Right now I have to finish the portrait and will paint today. Have to. But that's okay. I enjoy it. Who knows, maybe a painterly stroke or two will pop up in it.

The new appliances are coming Thursday. Hope all goes well with that. I'm really looking forward to the new refrigerator. We were limited in selection because the opening is 36" wide and that's the size of most refrigerators. The problem is the wall sticks out on one side of the opening and the door wouldn't fully open with a 36" fridge. We had to go with a 33-1/2" side by side instead of the French doors. A bit disappointing but it has water and ice in the door which is a great boon for me. I've been filling gallon containers with filtered water because I like cold water and I'm really tired of filling the Brita pitcher and filling the jugs. One chore I won't have to keep. Yay! It's a good sized refrigerator and I may like the side by side better. I know I'll like it better than the freezer on the top model we have now. Oh. Yes. I. Will. I'm tired of standing on my head to see what's in the refrigerator.

We're also getting a new stove and microwave. The dishwasher was installed right before the new floor went in. We're moving into the 21st century a piece at a time.

Okay, that's all I know. I hope Linda and Lanson are doing better whatever it is that happened.

The rest of us just need to keep on keepin' on. I know we'll get there. A few pictures of my backside on this trip was motivation for me.

Later 'gators.
  #96   ^
Old Mon, Jul-20-15, 05:34
It's Only Food!

BF:

Mornin', Kids. <echo> <echo> <echo>

Down another pound. Whoo-eee! Still up from my lowest weight but I'm determined......once again. Yeah, I know this is deja vu all over again (thank you Yogi Berra for that phrase) but isn't that life? It sure has been mine and I'm learning to deal with it. I can tell you that not so very long ago I'd just give up and tell myself I couldn't do it and my goals were unattainable. Giving up is where the journey is lost and how I got to where I am. Keeping at it is how we win. So....I'm on the winning path and that path is a lot easier to follow. I also like who I am on it.

I painted yesterday with some improvement. I guess that's a good thing. It beats the alternative. It was hotter than blazes on the porch so I kicked on the air-conditioner out there while I caught up on recorded shows on the DVR. Jim was out real estating. I've made that a verb.

Today it's back to work for me. *sigh* Friday we interview those wanting my boss's job. My former boss is one of the interviewees. Lord, let him come back. We were such a good team. It's for your benefit too, y'know. There will be less whining, wailing, and gnashing of teeth if he comes back. Just givin' you a heads up there.

So, ketoheads. Keep at it. Make the right choices. Love yourselves (regardless of what you eat).

Later 'gators.
  #97   ^
Old Mon, Jul-20-15, 19:21

BF:

Not much new here except watching the corn grow. The hot weather is working it's magic. The other exciting thing going on this week is Ragbrai Register's Annual Great Bike Ride across Iowa.I never heard of this before moving here. It is a 6 day bicycle ride from the Missouri River to the Mississippi river. Each year it goes on a different route across the state. For some people it is a big drunken party. For some it is a physical challenge. For the communities that it goes through it is a chance for lots of groups to make money selling pies and other things to the riders. I have only witnessed it one time. The only time that it has come through Grinnell I left town. It creates crowds and traffic and trash. I guess there were lots of people camped in our neighborhood since we are a block from the high school which was a campground.

The other thing is that the politicians are here in full force. I think all of the candidates from both parties were in Iowa last weekend. I find this lots of fun and go to see them whenever I get a chance. I shook hands with Barack Obama way back in June or July 2007. I also talked to John Edwards and Eliabeth (RIP). I stood for hours to see Obama 2 more times. For some reasons the republicans do not come to Grinnell, but I usually get to see a few of them at the state fair.

My new room and bath are painted. I picked a pale aqua with a darker aqua for the bathroom. I bought a shelf/towel holder for the bathroom that is copper colored. I love copper and teal so that is why I picked those colors. I thought I was doing something unique. Then later I saw online that teal, about as dark as what I have in the bathroom is one of the most trendy colors for 2015. Dang, I hate being trendy.

Yesterday I was up 2 pounds, today I am down a bit. Not much to report there. Blue and Kathy you are both doing great.

Later....
  #98   ^
Old Tue, Jul-21-15, 10:56
It's Only Food!

BF:

Afternoon, Kids!

Susan! You chose my favorite color! It has been since the time I hit this planet. Oh yes, indeed. I bet it's gorgeous. Our master bath is teal but when we redo it, I want Carrera marble and pale aqua and white. My indoor workroom/second guest room is done in teal and aqua because that's what makes my heart sing. When I was little my mom would ask me what my favorite color was and the response was always "bluish-greenish" because I didn't know the name. She'd laugh in amusement. I love all colors and love to see them interplay with one another, but my heart color is aqua. Can't wait to see the pictures!

I've heard of the great bike ride and can only imagine the fallout from it all.

I've dumped another pound and a half. Things should slow down pretty soon but I'm happy with all of the flushing.

That's it from here.

Later 'gators.
  #99   ^
Old Tue, Jul-21-15, 20:48

BF:

Blue! Absolutely my favorite color. When I was younger my mother gave me a paint color chart to choose a color to paint my bedroom. I still remember the name of my choice was Como blue. It was pale blue, but my mother thought it was too dark to paint a room. She tried her best to talk me out of it, but I persisted. I loved it. It was also one of the few times I won a disagreement with her.

They brought in the doors and baseboards today and the color that they stained it was beautiful. It is a little darker than I would have chosen, but when I picked out the window trim color and the bathroom cabinet I ended up choosing a darker color so the mill work (as the builder calls it) will be perfect at that shade. I am glad that I went with the darker color as it works well with the aqua/teal. Over all it is coming along beautifully and I am getting so excited. I am sewing away in my living room since my stuff is still in there. Everything is ready for the flooring when they get to it. I am mentally arranging things daily. I told my son, I am not going to let it get cluttered. I am going to have a minimum of surfaces to pile stuff on. I hope to keep all paper work etc on the desk in the anti-room to my studio. The grands are going to be gone until Christmas, so I am not even going to put the bed in the little room for them until they get back from London.

Did I mention that my son and dil and the grandsons are going to London on August 19. Grinnell has a campus in London and Eric is going to teach there for a semester. Fortunately they have someone lined up to live in their house and take care of all of the animals. Thank goodness because I am no farmer,

Bed time.
  #100   ^
Old Wed, Jul-22-15, 06:55

Hi Lab Rats!

I'm taking a moment to pop in. Life's been quite busy lately and nothing but depressing reports on the weight loss front. Rrrrrr

However! I have decided to test a theory and as of this morning, I think I may be on to something.

If y'all recall when my mom broke her shoulder I had just started the cream cheese and macadamia fast. I stuck with it even though I had a sudden kink in the plan and lost about 6 pounds, 4 of which stay off. Stayed off that is until I got back home. Hmmmmm...wonder why?

Well, I thought about what I do differently at home than when at mom's. At mom's, we ate within a 7-8 hour window and at home I eat within a 7-8 hour window. My version of IF. BUT! And I am thinking this BUT may be key. It was a different window. At mom's we had breakfast around 8:30 and our main meal around 3 or 3:30. They would sometimes grab a little snack later in the evening, but I was just fine most days and ate nothing else after 3:30 until the next morning.

At home, I wanted to keep that eating window but with my husband being a working man and getting home late, my window changed to breakfast around 11:00 and dinner around 6 or 7.

I have my morning coffee with butter and cream. And that is something I will NOT quit. I need my Joe in the morning! But, maybe that breaks my fast too early after having dinner at 6 the night before and I'm not really IFing! Maybe?

Anywoo...I told my hubby that I would probably stop eating with him in the evenings when he gets home and will go ahead and prepare dinner early and will eat early. I started yesterday and am already down a few points. Like point 4. It's not much, but at this rate I'll take it! And it's only been one day. What do I expect? Miracles?? YES!!! I DO!!! LOL

Happy Hump Day!
  #101   ^
Old Wed, Jul-22-15, 09:53
It's Only Food!

BF:

Mornin', Kids!

Down another pound. Yes! What is it about being on the road that slams on weight? What is it about having such volatile gains and losses? Anyway, I'm happy it's leaving.

Kathy, I'm thinking you may be on to something. Jim has learned to just go with whatever I'm doing for the lab test of the month. He's seen the progress so he isn't advising me to do anything different. He just goes with it now.

I don't snack any time or eat after dinner. Today is an eating day for me which means I'll have something to eat for lunch, having fasted from dinner the night before. I've brought hard salami/cream cheese/dill pickle chip rollups today. The lab test of the month for me is reducing carbs at dinner having more at lunch. I want to see how it affects glucose and weight loss. Today isn't a good day for the test. The new refrigerator is coming tomorrow so we've sort of reduced our stores of fresh and frozen vegetables until the switch is made. Two ounces of dill pickle slices isn't exactly a carb fest. I'm hoping for similar results as you saw when on your mom's schedule. Interesting thing to notice.

Susan, I'm proud to meet another aqua lover. The woodwork sounds perfect too. What an exciting experience being in London for a time. They'll capture memories they won't forget and get to see so many things! What a fantastic opportunity.

I'm SO with you about clutter. Oh, yes I am. It makes me feel awful and affects mood. When I was teaching math part of my "study tips" would be for them to make their beds daily and limit clutter. Some of them would look at me as if I were Martian. I didn't care. I can't tell you how many came to me later and said they did it and found I was right. They were more at ease and were able to study with better results. Yeah, I know. It's why I suggested it. Ain't my first rodeo, y'know. It's how I live too. It makes being home more restful and I enjoy life more. Such a simple thing. I like a tidy work area too. Once again, we're alike.

I believe in miracles too, Kathy! Keep us posted on your progress.

It's almost noon so I have to post this.

Later 'gators.
  #102   ^
Old Thu, Jul-23-15, 05:21

Well, I'm holding this morning...at least I didn't gain. lol
  #103   ^
Old Thu, Jul-23-15, 07:39
It's Only Food!

BF:

Mornin', Kids.

Kathy, my body takes a couple of days to get with the plan so maybe you'll see a drop in a few days. You're right, it's not an up and that's good!

I'm down 1.6 pounds today and have lost 6 pounds of the 8 pound gain. I'm really curious about why I slam on and lose water with such volatility. Inflammation from additives to foods on the road? Now that I'm home I know what is in my food. It just gets curiouser and curiouser.

Because of the lichen planus, Guillaine Barre, and thyroid nodules my doctor and my dentist are sending me to a rheumatologist for investigation into underlying autoimmune disorders. Earliest available is next month so I'm prepared for mega-testing. It may be why I am susceptible to inflammation water gain. Another puzzle. But the usual blood tests of kidney, liver, glucose, A1c, cholesterol, triglycerides, et al are perfect. In that I rejoice.

I got my new glasses yesterday after work. They have progressive lenses and I'm trying to adjust to them. I have 3 weeks to determine if I can live with them or not and, if not, they will replace them with the lined version I'm used to at no charge. This is different, that's for sure.

Today is a fasting day for me. I'm usually on a MWF schedule but tomorrow we're interviewing candidates for my boss' position and will have a working lunch. I like having the flexibility to work around life.

New appliances are coming today. No more standing on my head to see what's in the fridge and the stove has two ovens. The microwave is a snazzier version of our old one. The dishwasher amazes me in that it is silent. How they do that, I don't know but I've had to give up my kitchen rhythm dance I've done for decades with the old models. If one has ever seen it, that just might be a good thing.

Later 'gators.
  #104   ^
Old Fri, Jul-24-15, 18:47

BF:

Quote:
Anywoo...I told my hubby that I would probably stop eating with him in the evenings when he gets home and will go ahead and prepare dinner early and will eat early.

I end up eating a lot earlier than my husband many days in the summer time. He goes and stays at his farm until almost dark and I get too hungry to wait for him. Works for me.

Quote:
I'm SO with you about clutter. Oh, yes I am. It makes me feel awful and affects mood... I like a tidy work area too. Once again, we're alike.

Sadly, Blue, I did not get the tidy gene. I also am not ever going to win the good housekeeping award. I agree that it is more restful and less stressful to have less clutter, but it is a constant battle for me. That is one of the main reasons that I have a cleaning lady every other week. The day before she comes we do a massive decluttering so she can clean. Then it stays that way for a bit. Several years ago I had a professional organizer come to my house twice. I know how to do it and I do it from time to time. Today I going through all of my boxes of fabric and projects. I am being brutal with myself as the professional organizer was.

My weight is uninteresting and I keep on keeping on.
  #105   ^
Old Mon, Jul-27-15, 07:20
It's Only Food!

BF:

Mornin', Kids.

Did you ever have such a jam packed weekend that it feels as if you didn't have a weekend at all? I just had that. Maybe it was because I was up and out of the house before 8AM both Saturday and Sunday. My two day slug fest never got off the ground.

Saturday was breakfast in Culpeper with the girls. We meet about every 5 to 6 weeks over breakfast and just gab ourselves to distraction. We are just the gals to do it too! The are colleagues of mine with whom we've formed a fast friendship. I've dubbed us The Breakfast Club but, sadly, it will come to an end as we know it in September when one of our group will be retiring (that's a good thing!) and immediately moving to Tennessee to help out a son and daughter with their new baby. That's sad for us and good for them. It will leave a hole for us, that's for sure! We have one more gathering before she goes. It will be a blubberfest of tears, let me tell you. Anyway, I was out of the house by 7AM on Saturday which was brutal.

Friday I was out the door at the same time because the interviews started promptly at 8 AM. Ugh. It was a marathon of interviews, presentations, and discussions and ratings. Nonstop. We didn't adjourn until almost 6 PM and I was flat out beat when I got home. It's hard work being attentive for hours on end. The outcome was my former boss was well in the lead and without prejudice on our part. He flat out was the best candidate, best interviewee, and had absolutely the best presentation. I breathed a great sigh of relief, let me tell you. When it's official, I'll breathe easier.

So Friday was exhausting followed by Saturday which followed suit and then came Sunday and a trip south 3 hours to our former church for homecoming. We were on the road just before 8AM. It was splendid and so memorable but once again we dragged home last night void of energy. When this morning rolled around I longed to laze around for a bit as I enjoyed my coffee. Not so for Monday. I'll survive but my whiner is in full bore mode.

I didn't gain gobs of weight with all the festivities. That's a plus. During our working lunch on Friday I had a catered chef salad that must have had some additive in it that puffed me up 2 pounds on Saturday. I was able to lose it. I guess I'm just extremely sensitive to prepared foods, even salads, away from home. That stinks for sure.

Today is my boss' last Monday before retirement. I really am happy for her but I'll miss our talks and chit chat. She has confirmed that we will remain friends and will meet for lunch and wine regularly. I hope so.

Okay...I have to earn my keep. Y'all have a great Monday as I whine my way through it.

Later 'gators.

Last edited by BlueEyes2 : Mon, Jul-27-15 at 07:36.