Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-22-02, 17:03
Registered Member

Plan: Own LC Plan
Stats: 345/260/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 41%
Question What vitamins and minerals do I need everyday to maximize my weight loss

I am not losing anything lately and I'm thinking about food all the time now. What vit and min could help with cravings and aid in losing weight . I think I need some help now. It is getting harder to do this alone.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-22-02, 19:40

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

alas, there is no magic pill...though think about it: if there were, would 2/3 of americans be overweight? Probably not.

I've tried many many costly supplements and nothing has sped my slow loss--30 pounds in 16 months, so please be grateful for the rate you have!--but I have created a lot of what my trainer last year called "expensive urine." Some people swear they feel better on this or that vitamin or herb, but I've not noticed this effect.

Do, however, take a good (which does mean more costly) multi-vitamin/mineral every day while you are in the weight loss phase. Between meals, l-glutamine can help with cravings.

This is a permanent way of life--if you go back to eating the way you did before (now or when you reach goal), you'll balloon back up to your old weight in no time. So forget the time frame--just settle in to this new way of eating, have fun with recipes, change up your exercise routine, get rid of the bars/shakes/artificial sweeteners/excessive cheese (all stallers/slowers). You'll lose when you lose, and except for eliminating stallers and "cheats," there's little you can do about the rate you have.

I continue to work with emotional eating/binge eating and body image self-help books so that I'm addressing that part of the equation, too. For most of us, it's something more than metabolism that led to the weight problem, and that something won't go away without putting some work into fixing it. Others here attend OA meetings or see therapists.

hang in there, and think about changing your viewpoint rather than the pills you take. HTH!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-22-02, 20:53
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for your reply. I am not new to LC. I have my view of this WOL in a good place but thanks for the reminder. I just heard that there are some vit and min that are more helpful with weight loss than others, not necessarly more expensive either. I thought I'd que you guys to see what you might be using.
Razzle seems you got your head on right, I hope you make it to your goal with little bumps along the way.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-22-02, 22:04
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

I take chromium, green tea extract and coQ10.... all of which are supposed to help with weight loss.... Atkins explains why, or if you don't have the book, try www.atkinscenter.com.

You're doing SO wonderfully!!! Hang in there and keep postiing!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-23-02, 08:11
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Teridoodle

I'll check out that link. Yes I have all three versions of his books amoung serveal others like SB, CAD, PP. I think it is time to do some reading huh?
Attached Images
File Type: gif bow.gif (8.6 KB, 91 views)