Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-02, 11:59
Registered Member

Plan: sugarbusters
Stats: 270/242.00/142
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default thanks Debpenny

Goodmorning to you and thanks for your response. I think your judgement on the bread and pasta is right on. I was feeling pretty hopeless last time I posted. So many things going on with my physical being that eating becomes a chore. If I can control the gout, I just may feel some sense of well being that I can look forward to preparing meals with some faith and enjoyment.

I will get her book, I certainly had heard of her before and was looking for a site or forum with just her followers. But in reading from people like your self I gather she is a leader in the idea that there is more to dieting than calories. A concept most Dr. interns have not grasped at all.

I'm new to this forum and also the board style, {and computers as well} My son gave me a Dell for Christmas, so I'm not doing badly for the time on it. I have been retired from NYS Dept. of Economic Developement since 1996, so I knew enough to do my own work, but never had used it to control work flow or employee
production. I had other personnel that did that for me.

I moved to Texas a year ago, {to be closer to my only son and family} because I had a bad experience with silent bleeding
from taking Vioxx for arthritis and Fibromyalgia. So getting used to a new area, leaving old friends and home, is as dramatic as you can get , when you are approaching old age.

Thank you again and I hope that you can find the energy to get past my whinning, and hopefully I can add something to the forum, besides take.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-02, 07:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 223/209/200 Male 73 in
BF:
Progress: 61%

jujubaby,

you just concentrate on taking right now! We'll do some of that giving. That's why you have mentors. You've got alot to do just getting back to comfortable living, enough of this lack of health.

I wish you an enjoyable time of life near family and hope you'll find ways to connect with old friends and to find new ones.

I have a question though. Did you have gout attacks before you began dieting, and they just reappeared when you regained weight? It almost sounded like you got gout symptoms as a result of the diet and it offended you once you gained the weight.

At any rate, get celery into your diet, as this will help relieve gout. So will real cherry extract, but this is more expensive and harder to incorporate into meals.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-02, 15:13
Registered Member

BF:
Default Thank You lc from NW

I just back from the Intern and the blood work was excellent excepting I get it with meds. She said I had to lose the weight because I was in a spiral, downward and that all they could do was give me more and more medicines.

Of course her story was the same, I'm lying about the food I consume! and I must eat less than I use. but last year, my gastroenterologyst said, that just sitting in a chair required you to use at least 1500 calories. But she also added that I needed to stay out of carbs way, because FOR ME this was a losing battle. She said it will be a long while before the medical profession will admit there is more to losing weight than just cutting calories.

So now I have to keep a diary and weigh every morsel and measure everything I put in my mouth. I was hurt about her saying I lie, so I agreed to do this for a week to prove something or other to her and myself. So this afternoon I purposely went out of my way to prepare a lunch that would be well rounded and still low carb,{even though she doesn't agree w/this}
It turned out that this is a bigger lunch than I normally eat!!
4 oz roasted chicken, steamed broccoli, small salad w/ olive oil and vinegar.
tea and water.

She also said to try glucophage as an inhibitor to insulin pushes and a diet suppressor. She claims this is a new approach and I should lose about 4 lbs in a couple of weeks if it's working.
Still thinking about that and want to search the internet about how safe and who started this new thinking, since I am not diabetic YET.

Anyone with any knowledge about this?

So I couldn't wait to get on the net to see what my new friends at lowcarbers were up to. I realy, really appreciate the input from all of you. If you want to email me separately I would be happy to chat more, I need the companionship, even though it is remote.

Feeling hopeful today!
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-02, 15:34
Registered Member

BF:
Default forgot to answer your question LCer

It appears that I have had since 1996 and maybe before strange attacks in my joints and in NY state, no one suggested that it might be gout, because my blood tests for uric acid were normal. and oddly enough never in the toe as with classic attacks. I went round and round and finnally they said it was osteoarthritis, and I was lighter than now. {a good 60 lbs.lighter} A bad divorce after 37 years and breaking up my home left me devastated.

So, perhaps the increase in weight has made it more critical. Also I am trying to take cherry extract capsule 2x 3 per day with the colchicine to see if it can be controlled. This is my third week and still seems okay. I went on a strick no protein diet for two weeks, to help start a new and I am now introducing chicken and fish. Before I had been {for about six months} eating more beans everyday and they are supposed to contain purines that can cause gout. So if I can relate to what happened with my diet, I thought for sure the real bad gout attacks became closer together with the eating of beans and nuts. {Sugar busters encourages eating of nuts and beans and SGWW bread and pasta. I'm going to eliminate most and use as a treat once in awhile. Imagine a slice of toast with a little whipped butter and tea, is a delight for me. No alcohol, no sugar.
I'll try adding celery now, should be good with chicken and tuna salad, things that I had avoided to make food more simple. Now I think I should have more enjoyment eating what the little is allowed.

Thanks again LCer

Where in the northwest?
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-02, 22:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 223/209/200 Male 73 in
BF:
Progress: 61%

round about Seattle.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-02, 23:37
Registered Member

BF:
Default heard it was beautiful in Seattle!!

I'm an eastern seaboard person, and was born near the east river of Manhattan and Brooklyn. {just road ways now}

Moved out to Long Island, where the winters were particularly mild from the Gulf Coast water, riding up the coast and warming the land. Then inland and upstate to ALbany NY where it used to get to be 20 below zero!

Now sunny Teaxs extremes!