Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Oct-05-11, 16:51

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

kayla, maybe try the lc flax bread, it's easy to make and has the bland feeling of bready foods. i make it with 1 egg, 1 tbsp flax, a bit of cinnamon and a tiny scoop of stevia (the scoop that came with the powder, i think it's about 1/16th of a tsp), stir, let sit for a minute, then microwave x2 minutes. i've been making it when i dont feel like eating but i know i need to.

eta: oops, i forgot the 1/4 tsp baking powder! it wont rise correctly without it~it should actually get really light and fluffy

Last edited by walnut : Thu, Oct-06-11 at 09:05.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Oct-06-11, 04:47

Plan: low carb/high fat
Stats: 179/154/135 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 57%

Hi, all!! It's been a busy few days and I haven't been on too much. But, on the brighter side, I finding my energy!!! Yay I decided to switch prenatal vitamins because I didn't feel like they were working. I went to GNC and got their prenatal program and boy, has it made a world of difference in my energy levels.

Walnut, your recipe looks amazing. I might have to try it today. I was curious about flax though. I was told to be careful of flax because of the estrogen. Is that true????
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Oct-06-11, 09:02

afaik, the estrogens in flax are plant estrogens and block the effect of the nasty xenoestrogens. <shrug> i dont think 1 tbsp would have that much of an effect anyways...

glad you found a good vite, eriksgirl, it can make a big difference!
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Oct-06-11, 11:28

Plan: Paleo/atkins
Stats: 289/155/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 96%

Thanks walnut! When I've had flax before its made me breakthrough bleed while I was on the pill so it makes me a little nervous.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Oct-06-11, 12:10

BF:

Thanks, Walnut. I love the one-minute muffins and totally cut them out when I found out I was pregnant. It'll be nice to have one again.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Oct-06-11, 13:40

BF:

Oh and thanks eriksgirl about the gnc prenatal vitamin advice.I might go try that myself. glad to hear you've got some energy back.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Oct-06-11, 19:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylakala
Thanks walnut! When I've had flax before its made me breakthrough bleed while I was on the pill so it makes me a little nervous.

eeps

that would make me nervous too!
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Oct-07-11, 06:08

BF:

Quote:
Oh and thanks eriksgirl about the gnc prenatal vitamin advice.I might go try that myself. glad to hear you've got some energy back.

They've made an incredible difference. I bought the prenatal program not just the regular prenatal pills. It's not as cheap as others, ($25) but well worth it, IMO. Kinda makes me a little nervous about my midwife cause I had asked her about vitamins several times and she insisted that the Wal-mart brand is just as good as any other. Ummmmm, yeah, NO. Wal-mart has 14 ingredients in theirs and GNC has 24 plus extra calcuim pill and DHA pill. Not only has my energy come back, but my skin has cleared up and looks the way it did before pregnancy. Goes to show ya that we have to make our own informed decisions not just what the doc or midwife says. LOL

Walnut, I tried your recipe yesterday.......YUMMY!!! Got any other quick, non-meat recipes?? For some reason, I can't stand cooking, handling, or working with raw meat. Makes me wanna throw up.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Oct-07-11, 06:21

Plan: low-carb/high-fat
Stats: 324/184/150 Female 5.5 feet
BF:
Progress: 80%

I don't do flax, but I do make me some oopsie rolls (cream cheese, eggs, and cream of tartar) so I can occasionally have a panut butter and jelly sandwich
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Oct-07-11, 09:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksgirl
Walnut, I tried your recipe yesterday.......YUMMY!!! Got any other quick, non-meat recipes?? For some reason, I can't stand cooking, handling, or working with raw meat. Makes me wanna throw up.

candice (aka candiflip) has a grilled cheese recipe that uses coconut flour in the bread.

that's too bad you're having meat aversions, it's the only thing i really want to eat anymore. do you have someone else who can help you cook? i've been eating lots and lots of beef (my iron is on the low side of normal, so i think i've been craving iron-rich foods bc of that). thinking about making some caveman chili for dinner, or maybe a chicken soup. it's cold and rainy here and perfect weather to haul out the crockpot.

i did a bit of reading about the flax and it looks like it's not recommended during pregnancy~i had no idea. it seems like such a healthy food with all the o3's and everything.
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Oct-07-11, 12:11

BF:

What about the chia seeds? I think they're like the flax without the extrogen stuff? I've heard they're good....

OBGYN is awesome!! She says low carb is great!! She asked me how I lost my weight so I told her.
My Mom is still stressed and thinks I'm going to eat just meat. LOL
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Oct-07-11, 12:53

BF:

Jillybean, I forgot about the Oopsie rolls. Those sound good, too. I'll have to make a bunch and freeze some for when I don't feel like cooking. lol

Walnut, I luuuuuuv meat, just can't stand to cook it right now. I've never had this with any of my other pregnancies so I'm trying to suffer thru. Having 5 kids and a hubby doesn't give ya much choice but to suck it up and cook. However, I have a hard time eating it if I cooked it myself. Weird, I know. lol As long as I haven't seen it raw, I'm ok. I have been using the crockpot a lot for my kids. But, my husband doesn't like anything cooked in the crockpot. lol

Kaylakala, you have an AWESOME obgyn. I talked to my midwife about my LC'ing and she wasn't in favor at all. Didn't change me though. I'm still LC'ing and pretty much in ketosis. My u/s a week and a half ago showed a healthy baby boy that was already a whole pound at 20 weeks pregnant.
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Oct-08-11, 07:31

BF:

Quote:
OBGYN is awesome!! She says low carb is great!! She asked me how I lost my weight so I told her.

It's SO helpful to have your medical team on board! Both my PCP and my OB are fully supportive of my eating low in carbs. It probably helps that my OB actually goes to the same PCP as me!
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Oct-09-11, 08:06

BF:

So, I decided to have my weekly cheat meal yesterday. It was really good, but I think I ate way too much. LOL Anyway, I'm back on the straight and narrow this morning. Hope everyone has a great Sunday!!
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Oct-10-11, 07:16

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksgirl
So, I decided to have my weekly cheat meal yesterday. It was really good, but I think I ate way too much. LOL Anyway, I'm back on the straight and narrow this morning. Hope everyone has a great Sunday!!

Umm, I've been having my cheat meal for about the entire past week! Today is our first wedding anniversary, so I'm not going to pretend I won't have some treats tonight, but the plan is to be back to eating how I know I should as of tomorrow morning! And, of course, I'm due for some extensive lab work sometime this week (whenever I remember to fast and go to Quest), so my results may be a bit skewed (at least things like cholesterol and possibly my fasting glucose). It seems I always end up eating poorly when I know I have labs coming up, an I wonder if it's a subconcious desire to see if I can have excellent lab results even when eating "freely," especially considering my past battles with morbid obesity and type 2 diabetes.