Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-08, 13:04

Plan: ZC/VLC
Stats: 335/236/205 Male 70 inches
BF:??/32/10
Progress: 76%

Looks like a healthy enough guy to me.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-08, 15:08

Plan: carnivorous
Stats: 240/230/265 Male 76"
BF:
Progress:

Sure there are low carb WOE's that don't have tons of animal protein, but

that seems like it would be pretty hard on the digestive system. All my

research doesn't point to animal protein being bad for you anyway, more the

opposite actually given a high fat % intake. I am completely open to what is

the optimal diet, or at least for me. I used to eat spinach and broccoli with

every meal (and still consider it healthy although hard on the intestines) until

I learned that it was unnecessary since an all meat diet covers all the

vitamins, minerals, amino acids etc. we require. You don't need Vit C if your

blood glucose isn't see-sawing. This is all covered in Good Calories, Bad

Calories
by Gary Taubes. It is backed by studies and empirical evidence.
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-08, 15:08
Dog is my copilot

Plan: paleo/lowcarb
Stats: 210/162/145 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyDown
To them anything comes from a plan is evil and poison
Not at all! We NEED plants! It's what our food eats!
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-08, 21:28

Plan: VLC
Stats: 295/220/160 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 56%

Quote:
Aaaah but what kind of carbs?? I don't like it when everyone lumps spinach with white flour!!!

Spinach.... hrmmm, doesn't that cause kidney stones and gout:

"...it might be surprising to know that although most foods can be allergenic, spinach is one of the foods most commonly held responsible for an allergic reaction.

Spinach is also classified in the United States as one of the 12 foods in which pesticide residues are most likely to be found. Organic spinach should not present this problem. Oxalates, which can aggravate kidney and gall bladder problems, are also found in spinach, so people with untreated problems in that area should avoid it. It is also worth noting that although spinach does contain calcium, the oxalates also interfere with the body's absorption of the mineral. For anyone taking calcium supplements, several hours should be allowed to elapse before tucking into a meal of spinach.

In addition to the oxalates, spinach also contains purines, which form uric acid and in turn can cause kidney stones and gout. Finally, there are also indications that further substances found in spinach, called goitrogens, could interfere with the function of the thyroid gland. Goitrogens — which impair the uptake of iodine, leading to hypothyroidism— may be rendered inactive by the cooking process, but this has not been established beyond doubt. This means that anyone with thyroid problems can also legitimately say no to spinach.

Nitrates are also commonly found in leafy vegetables, and spinach is no exception. They are found in higher doses in spinach grown in greenhouses and winter spinach generally contains more than the summer type. Spinach picked in the early evening has been shown to have lower levels of nitrates, which decrease once the sunlight has gone. In very high doses, nitrates can lead to blood circulation problems2. In chopped spinach, especially if it is stored in airtight bags or containers, the nitrates can break down to form nitrites. This can lead to methemoglobinemia, where the uptake of oxygen in the blood is adversely affected. In order to avoid these afflictions, spinach should not be reheated once cooked."
( from )
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-08, 22:29

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvrn
Not at all! We NEED plants! It's what our food eats!

Seriously though, you're absolutely right! I plants. Plants are an integral part of the ecosystem, without them we would perish. Not to mention their uses as medicine, fibre for clothing, wood for homes, furniture, paper, etc. However, we are the top of the food chain, we don't need to eat the plants ourselves, we have beasts who've evolved to eat plants for us. Some of them have many stomachs and are very efficient at extracting nutrition from the plants; we can eat those beasts of the field and spare ourselves the degradation of grazing on foliage.
  #36   ^
Old Sat, Nov-08-08, 03:38

Plan: zero carb
Stats: 168/110/115 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 109%

I love plants, but I zero desire to eat them.
  #37   ^
Old Sat, Nov-08-08, 06:24

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 154/155/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: -7%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijw
Looks like a healthy enough guy to me.

theBear is between 75-80 years old, he is suffering badly from cancer, he is unable to eat anything that is not liquid, and can't speak properly (he said that in his thread)

the photos you see are from years back.

If I have the time I will post links to everyone who have tried this WOE and all the troubles they developed after a few months...

To me this WOE is more dangerous than Kimkins... again this is my opinion, and your health is your own responsibility.
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Nov-08-08, 06:54

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Aaaah but what kind of carbs?? I don't like it when everyone lumps spinach with white flour!!!

There's only two kinds. The fibers and the sugars. The fibers are indigestible so they can't do any damage. The sugars are easily digestible even before we swallow them so it's them that do the damage.
  #39   ^
Old Sat, Nov-08-08, 06:57

BF:

Quote:
Carnivores unfortunately do that Nancy!!

To them anything comes from a plan is evil and poison

And to you any carnivore lacks judgment? That would be presumptuous of me to think that of you, wouldn't it? Two kinds of carbs. One useless, the other poisonous.
  #40   ^
Old Sat, Nov-08-08, 07:13

BF:

Quote:
theBear is between 75-80 years old, he is suffering badly from cancer, he is unable to eat anything that is not liquid, and can't speak properly (he said that in his thread)

I don't know what his current condition is, but when he did the SF gate interview; sometime after he'd left these forums - the interviewer referred to his having to eat pureed food in the past tense. For what it's worth, theBear also attributed his resiliance in the face of his cancer and it's treatment - as well as it's slow progress to his WOE.

Quote:
If I have the time I will post links to everyone who have tried this WOE and all the troubles they developed after a few months...

Certainly not "everyone", I've been eating this way for about a year and a half and feel great. There are others on these forums who've been at it for longer than myself and seem to be faring quite well.

Quote:
To me this WOE is more dangerous than Kimkins... again this is my opinion, and your health is your own responsibility.

In my opinion that comparison is simply ignorant.
  #41   ^
Old Sat, Nov-08-08, 07:13

BF:

Quote:

And if you still have the time, you should also post the links to everyone who returned to full health so we can get the complete picture. You know, don't pull an Ancel Keys on us now.

If this WOE is more dangerous than Kimkins to you, then don't do it. By my own reckoning, I'm the healthiest I've ever been. And in a very short time too (only about 6-8 months since I cut out all carbs). I don't have clinical results to support what I say but if I ever get sick, I'll make sure to do those tests.
  #42   ^
Old Sat, Nov-08-08, 07:40
Registered Member

Plan: whole food
Stats: 160/160/160 Male 200
BF:
Progress:

lets see pics of all the carnivores here
  #43   ^
Old Sat, Nov-08-08, 08:07

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mineralman
lets see pics of all the carnivores here

Once again, it's hard not to notice the similarities between you and blackjack... reminds me of this post : "...
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack
frankly do you have any pics?
I do declare, you're like two peas in a pod. Anyway, I'm afraid I choose to decline, sorry.
  #44   ^
Old Sat, Nov-08-08, 08:23
Registered Member

Plan: whole food
Stats: 160/160/160 Male 200
BF:
Progress:

hehe its ok =] we understand
  #45   ^
Old Sat, Nov-08-08, 08:26

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mineralman
hehe its ok =] we understand

Who's "we"? Do you mean blackjack and mineralman?