Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Jul-19-02, 03:19

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 171/135/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 116%
Default Hi: Laura!

Quote:
Originally posted by ljclowater
Hey guys, haven't stopped in for awhile now. Just saw the Maritime thread revived and figured I would take a minute and catch up with everyone down home. Hubby and I actually go to F'ton next week for a short visit, it will be great to be home!

You'll find things haven't changed much re: construction work in the summer they have had the Westmorland Street bridge down to one lane for awhile...the weather here has been strange for our summer's one day nice the next two rain ...if you get the chance during your busy schedule home..come out Saturday July 27th to the 20/20 Club at the bottom of Smythe Street (used to be called The Right Spot)...hubby and son's band SVT Classic Rock is playing and is always a great time and of course their most loyal supporter will be there ...have a great time home Laura

Bonnie

Last edited by Bonnie : Fri, Jul-19-02 at 03:41.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Jul-19-02, 06:11

Plan: somersizing
Stats: 145/132/119
BF:
Progress: 50%
Thumbs up pics

Hi Laura
Wow!...you look awesome...congratulations on your weight loss !
What an inspiration you are!
Best of luck with the rest of your journey...Yolande
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Jul-19-02, 06:34
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 275/245/175
BF:?
Progress: 30%
Default You guys are awesome

Bonnie & Slimchance Thanks:

I'll be scouting today for the "rinds" I never even thought of bulk barn (Duh!). Thanks for keeping me up to date. It's so encouraging to see others progress like yours Bonnie. It really keeps me motivated.

Last night I went to a meeting at a place that normaly has decent food with lo carb chloices last night they served

Deep Fried Chicken
potatoes
rice
carrots
and Brownies

I actually skipped supper completely,... went for a miniwalk and returned after the meal was done. I drank about 2 litres of water to survive the meeting that lasted till 9, but then when I got hom I had some bacon and cheese. (Not exactly per plan, but perfectly allowable). I've lost 0.5 inches (SINCE YESTERDAY) off my belly as of this morning too I think I'll weigh myself on Monday - I don't want to be a slave to the scale, but I think during induction it will be encouraging. If I eat pork rinds but each day always double my water consumption, will that counteract the water retention?
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Jul-19-02, 07:55

BF:
Thumbs up Perry

Perry I'm really pulling for ya to keep on track just check out another Frederictonian Laura and her progress and pics...if that doesn't give you incentive then know that hubby has lost over 50 lbs. following this WOL and has kept it off...(by the way he snacked on Pork Rinds the whole time we keep almonds also on hand ...you can get the Blue Diamond kind in both Superstores and most supermarkets.. ya know we have to represent our city well here so get to work for the first little while I would take measurements as you will see such a big difference there ...again Perry anything I can do or if you are looking for something in our area you can't find just ask...as I stated above...hubby and I have been at this since '99 so pretty much know all the tricks of the trade pleased to help in any way

Bonnie
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Jul-19-02, 09:05
Registered Member

Default Huge thanks

Didn't find a fredericton laura journal. How do I find her posts

Also thanks so much for the encouragement. So far so good (I'm actually kinda liking it!)
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Jul-19-02, 09:17

BF:
Default RE: Laura

Laura is actually following PP like myself and I first met her on the PP message board...she now resides in Hull but is originally from Freddy Beach...she just pops in here now and then to say heh
this is an excerpt from one of her posts and a link to her pics posted on PP picture site...

Bonnie, thanks for the F'ton welcome, how are things down home? Hubby and I have to go to Shediac for a wedding end of July and will be getting a chance to stop at home and see the family.

My Before and Now Pics!

http://www.teamrocko.com/pppics/ljclowater.htm

"And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud became more painful than the risk it took to blossom"

This gal is amazing and we applaud her for her great success following this WOL ...Bonnie
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Jul-22-02, 14:14
Registered Member

Stats: 200/200/145 Female 5'5"
BF:?/?/22
Progress: 0%
Talking

Ok Bonnie, my head is getting swollen now! Thanks for all the nice comments guys. I know I should spend more time here and actually start a journal, but things are pretty busy in the wonderful world that is Laura right now!
I would like to say that even though I haven't lost much weight lately, I have now officially maintained my loss for 1 year. That is about 11.5 months longer than I have ever maintained any loss before! I have made some body composition changes over the past year though, lots of muscle gained through resistance training. Now, it's time to move onward and downward on the scale again. Perry, nice to see another person from home finding their way to low carb!
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 03:28

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by ljclowater
Ok Bonnie, my head is getting swollen now! Thanks for all the nice comments guys. I know I should spend more time here and actually start a journal, but things are pretty busy in the wonderful world that is Laura right now!

Quote:
I would like to say that even though I haven't lost much weight lately, I have now officially maintained my loss for 1 year.

I think that is the wonderful thing about LC...Laura... for most of us who have tired to lose weight previous to this WOL ...it has always been a struggle ... I too have slowed down in my weight loss but as you state to be able to maintain what weight loss one achieve's over a period of time is a feat in itself

Quote:
That is about 11.5 months longer than I have ever maintained any loss before!

Great thing about this WOE

Quote:
I have made some body composition changes over the past year though, lots of muscle gained through resistance training.

This is something I should be looking into but I'm always saying after just five more lbs. I'll start the weight lifting

Now, it's time to move onward and downward on the scale again

Have no doubt that this will be the case

Bonnie
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 19:07
Registered Member

Bonnie,

wow you are at 90% awesome!

Ok I'm ready for almonds and other low carb choices in F'ton. I've made it down 26 pounds this month! yahoo!
  #40   ^
Old Sat, Aug-17-02, 04:15

BF:
Default That's Great Perry!

I will give you a few suggestions of where to obtain a few items but ya have to promise you will only eat in moderation... that means the occassional treat... my cousin has been doing LC for about a month now and has had great success... she bought a few Ross's bars and now she has put herself into a stall...BUT instead of a little piece of the bar now and then she aate the whole thing ... if you don't think you could exercise that kind of control definitely don't buy them and remember they contain sugar alcohols and may cause an extra trip to the bathroom... these things effect folks differently so just a word of warning... I personally ate Ross' bars all through my weight loss but only a small piece when the urge struck without any problems with the bathroom syndrome... ok here goes with what I have found here in the city:

President's Choice Cranberry Cocktail (made with Splenda)....coming in at 7.1 carbs per 8oz... I usually have half that or less for juice substitute in the mornings...

The illustrious Ross' Chocolate Bars...found at Candyland in the Brookside Mall or King's Place....remember moderation...moderation........

PC Hickory Smoked Roasted Almonds (PC products found at Superstores)....

ED Smith Sugarless Pancake Syrup ( again hidden carbs so use in moderation.)...you can find this both at Sobey's and Superstores...goes great with this recipe:

http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/recipe...pe-bread18.html

ED Smith sugarless jams and jellies but if you are ambitious with all the great berries available at this time of year you can make your own jam with Splenda: here is a recipe I have tried that was great:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...t=Raspberry+Jam

Chapman's Sugar Free Ice Cream...in Neapolitan, Vanilla, Chocolate, Butterscotch Ripple and Cookies and Cream....you can find this at Superstore and Sobey's....

Bonnie
  #41   ^
Old Sun, Dec-08-02, 07:28

BF:
Default Happy Birthday Laura!

Laura if you happen to pop in here today just wanted to wish you Happy Birthday...B

#42   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 12:14
Registered Member

Plan: somersize/atkins
Stats: 172/160/140
BF:
Progress: 38%

I'm from Northern Newfoundland, but I now live and work in PEI. I am brand new to this forum and so far I love it! I am not interested in buying expensive brand name low carb products. But I do buy soy flour, wheat gluten, almond flour, and flax meal at the local Sobeys or Bulk Barn. I am still on the look out for Xanthan Gum (supposedly a great thickener) and pork rinds. I am not intersted in protein shakes or bars. But I would like to find some sugarfree Jello or pudding mixes. HAven't seen them yet. I am the only person that I know here who is low-carbing. My sister in Nova Scotia is doing it, so we try to support each other. It's nice to know they are other East Coasters on these forums!
  #43   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 12:23

BF:
Smile Welcome!

Quote:
Originally posted by Foxeylady
I'm from Northern Newfoundland, but I now live and work in PEI. I am brand new to this forum and so far I love it! I am not interested in buying expensive brand name low carb products. But I do buy soy flour, wheat gluten, almond flour, and flax meal at the local Sobeys or Bulk Barn. I am still on the look out for Xanthan Gum (supposedly a great thickener) and pork rinds. I am not intersted in protein shakes or bars. But I would like to find some sugarfree Jello or pudding mixes. HAven't seen them yet. I am the only person that I know here who is low-carbing. My sister in Nova Scotia is doing it, so we try to support each other. It's nice to know they are other East Coasters on these forums!

Foxeylady...I'm trying to remember where I got my Xanthan Gum (quite sure think was in health food section of Superstore and quite sure saw it at Bulk Barn) (don't know if you have the chain Superstore in PEI)...I did get pork rinds for hubby at my local Bulk Barn..they have them in plain and BBQ flavor...you could possibly request your local one (Bulk Barn) to try to get these items in for you ...if I can help with any other questions just ask...B

Last edited by Bonnie : Thu, Jan-16-03 at 12:25.
  #44   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 12:43
Registered Member

Stats: 226/210/140
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default Hi Foxeylady

Hi Foxeylady,

I'm also from Newfoundland, western Newfoundland. Ilive now in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

I buy pork rinds at the bulk barn. Sugarfree jello, I get just at the grocery store, they have many varieties and good.
Any support I can lend let me know. I was on it once before lost alot and through no fault of my own went off it. I'm back now and it's a way of life for me.
Not saying I'm always perfect, but still doin well. It's just become a part of my life
Let me know if you need anything else. I also don't know too many personally on it. Just a couple who say the results of my WOL.

Edwina
  #45   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 14:15
Registered Member

Plan: somersize/atkins
Stats: 172/160/140
BF:
Progress: 38%

Thanks Bonnie and Sunny! I'm going Grocery shopping tonight. So I'll check the Superstore and Bulk Barn again and if they don't have these items I'll request them! It's nice to have some conveinence foods! Do you eat your pork rinds as a snack or in recipes? And how does the xanthum gum thicken. I'm trying to make a traditional Newfie dish, "Cod au gratin" low carb and it calls for flour to thicken the white sauce.

Sonny, where in Western Newfoundland are you from? I'm from Englee, near Roddickton, near St. Anthony. Maybe someday we can have a Low Carb COnvention in The Atlantic. I'd go in a heartbeat!