Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-13, 04:36

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I remember reading Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution and scheming about carb levels: I would exercise every day! I would keep my carb portions small! I couldn't imagine Life Without Bread!

Well, a hip problem flared up and I had to rest it, I discovered eating carbs made me want to eat more carbs, and I went entirely gluten free.

Like everyone else here, you need to figure out what works for you. Just keep in mind that not being able to imagine something just means you need more practice.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-13, 20:09
Registered Member

Plan: wheatbelly variation
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5.7
BF:
Progress:

Thanks Paris and Were. Both very helpful posts! All the choices are very over whelming. I think I'm going to make some adjustments but I am going to see this week through...
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-13, 15:24
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Thanks for all the wise words! I hung in there and I am very pleased with my first week results. I weighed in this morning and have lost 5.6!! Very happy with that!

Here are my carb totals via the Daily Carb app, which I love:

Not extreme, I also played tennis 2xs and on Saturday had a very small serving of yam with my dinner...

I discovered some very decent low carb tortillas at trader joe's (yes they do have somethings without pumpkin!) and that has been helpful too. Just to have a little variety! I made my version of a taco supreme for lunch and it was so good!

FYI, yesterdays total should be about 35, I went to bed late and did not get in my last entry!
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-13, 17:11
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 141/132.7/115 Male 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Can I ask how you got that screen shot of your phone?
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-13, 15:05
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Press the top on/off switch and home button at the same time... works on iphones and iPads.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-13, 15:40
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuechick
Press the top on/off switch and home button at the same time... works on iphones and iPads.

HAH!!! THANKS!!!

And then you linked it here via image tags?
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-13, 22:15
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IraRat
HAH!!! THANKS!!!

And then you linked it here via image tags?

Well I posted it to twitter first then posted the image link via the image tag in the advance mode comment box... (yellow square with mountains)
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-13, 08:43

Plan: Atkins 92
Stats: 227/190/127 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 37%

Well said.

I found it took me two weeks in the beginning to feel good and at three weeks, great. I got the dreaded low carb flu - but it made me acutely aware of just how addicted I, personally, was.

If it were not for a friend I could reach out to, I may have quit on day 3! I was so lucky to have her. So, my advice? Use one of us as a buddy - we all can use the interaction
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Oct-21-13, 12:17
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Just had my 2nd weigh in and I am down 2 more pounds for a total 7.6! I am very happy with this! I am averaging around 40 carbs a day, which I think is a nice testament that you don't have to go too extreme and can still see good results.

Yesterday I attended a family brunch buffet and loaded my plate with fresh shrimp, sirloin steak and a salad with lox, egg and blue cheese. While my sister next to me tried to keep it light with mostly salad, a tiny bit of meat and a biscuit!

I am really beginning to love it. I am experimenting with some low carb flour I got and plan to carefully work it into my plan. I did a mug style muffin and it came out great. I got the recipe here. Yum! I tweeked mine a bit, using a low carb flour blend by Bob's Red Mill and a pumpkin spice blend rather than lemon.

#25   ^
Old Mon, Oct-21-13, 13:15

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 218.5/203.8/150 Female 61
BF:
Progress: 21%

Now that looks great... MINE never turn out like that.
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Oct-21-13, 15:16
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Do you use almond flour or a low carb flour mix? I have to add, they are very filling and I was good for about 5 hours! That is unusual for me. They are best right when hot.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Oct-21-13, 15:37
Registered Member

BF:

Here's my monster pumpkin muffin using flax meal and cinnamon.

I used one of those small chinese take-out soup containers, a pint, and it just about nukes up to its full size. (Yes, microwave--not oven.)

So it's a LOT of muffin!

Taste? Recipe needs more pumpkin and cinnamon. It was too bland.

#28   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-13, 10:06
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:
Default 3 Weeks and I'm Loving It!

I am so grateful to all the encouragement I got during that first week! I have lost 10 pounds in my first 3 weeks and am VERY happy with that. I have not seen the scale move at all except for when I did a total juice fast for 10 days. Of course I gained all that back plus!

Some thoughts 3 weeks in:

I am realizing that this is a total lifestyle and have made the choice to embrace it! With effort and a little imagination it is a very satisfying way to eat! I have looked at a lot blogs and even youtube and learned some great stuff.

It is a more expensive way of eating but I think more so in the beginning as you get your self "set up" with a low carb kitchen. I just ordered my first crock pot, which I think will add some connivence and economy to my meals. As well as variety.

I love my Daily Carb app, it really helps me keep track, is easy to use!

If you are sweet lover, I encourage you to check out that section of the recipe area of this site! I am experimenting with flour alternatives and so far am happy with the results. Over the past week & half I had pancakes, mug muffins and a custard pie!
Great blog I found for amazing low carb recipes:
http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com

I have also notice improvement with my joints, this was a big issue for me. Before I started it was hard for me to lift and bend my right leg to put on pants. Now, no problem at all! I have been playing tennis a couple times a week. I want to up that at least 3 and add more weight workouts! I also have rosacea and my skin is much better.

I want to say to all you newbies, just give it a couple of weeks!