Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Mar-13-09, 20:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 193/143/135 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 86%

South Dakota wasn't very cold today. Guess we should have gone for a walk before the next blizzard.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Mar-14-09, 01:02

Stats: 191/186/125 Female 5ft 1 inch
BF:
Progress: 8%

Here I am back on Atkins again...but It seems to be the easiest for me to do and stay on for the most part..what I really want to be able to do this time is really learn how to make this more of a lifestyle change...I was never really a big sweets eater, just a carb eater...and having constant cravings, now that I am in my second week of Induction, that has stopped..yeah...Has any one tried the Liquid Splenda?? IT IS A GODSEND FOR INDUCTION WHEN YOU ARE TRYING TO STAY UNDER 20 G OF CARBS DAILY...YOU CAN FIND IT ON EBAY..
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Mar-14-09, 22:14

Plan: Atikins
Stats: 231/221.2/135 Female 5 ft 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default 2nd time around also

I've got through induction and lost somewhere around 12 pounds. Don't quite know how much because I bought a new scale which weighed me about 12 pounds heavier than the first one. This one is digital and I like it better. The old one I could move around the floor and get a "better" weight ... as if THAT makes sense! Anyway, I got discouraged, before I joined the forum, and spent last weekend stuffing myface with carbs. Felt simply awful when I got up on Monday and decided enough of that and am back on induction. I feel much better when I eat the LC WOL. My family thinks it is unhealthy (mother and sisters) but I know better. I've gotten just about back to where I was before I started carb suffing so I'm encouraged about that. I'm older than the rest of you ... seeing 50 in a few years (little over 2 years). My goal is to be at a much healthier weight by then. I know now I need to get up and move. The walk I get from work to my desk just isn't cutting it. I'm hopeful with the warmer weather coming, I can get out and walk at lunch. Better than eating at my desk.

It is great to read everyone's story. Keeps me encouraged.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Mar-15-09, 00:04
What a good girl!!!

Plan: my own
Stats: 195.8/165.0/138 Female 62.5 inches
BF:Getting Rid of IT!
Progress: 53%

Liquid splenda is great, no carbs. Also DaVinci's liquid flavors have splenda in it. I order from Netrition.com. The chocolate mixed with heavy whipping cream and put in the freezer is a nice treat, well when it's warm anyway. LOL. But glad I found it. For those of you that drink coffee or tea with HC for the fat content, the Davinci flavors are supposed to be fantastic.

Lisa
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Mar-15-09, 08:42

Plan: induction
Stats: 183/176/125 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress:

Hello lisa,

What is HC? You mentioned you put that in coffee or tea.

Also - little confused
Is it the more fat you eat the more weight you will lose?

Thanks!

Cynthia
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Mar-15-09, 08:56

Stats: 242/161/155 Female 5'6
BF:don't u ask
Progress: 93%

I'm 35
married, 5 kids (2 boys and 3 girls)
I live in Wyoming, born and raised in Maine
I've been on atkins in the past and lost a lot of weight-more than 50lbs. After falling off the wagon, it took more than 8 times for me to do induction and stick to it. I've been following atkins successfully again since Nov. Always looking for friends, don't have any where I am and the people here have become my friends who I can talk to about anything.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Mar-15-09, 19:52
What a good girl!!!

Plan: my own
Stats: 195.8/165.0/138 Female 62.5 inches
BF:Getting Rid of IT!
Progress: 53%

Hi Cynthia,

HC is heavy cream. Sorry, after you are here awhile you start thinking everyone knows what you are talking about. No I wouldn't say more fat makes you lose more weight. I just find that when I eat carbs I want carbs and when I eat fat, I am full. I don't eat as much. In the beginning it really doesn't matter as much. You don't have to look at calories or anything. Just the carb count is all most are concerned with. I was but now have about 20 lbs left to go. These 20 really, really want to stay on me!!! So I have tried upping the fat while trying to keep the calories as low as I can without going too low. I try to stay around 1500-1600. But when I first started, i never even thought about that stuff. Only when you have a few angry pounds left to take off. LOL. There are a few that believe that fat, depending on the kind, is good for you and good in this diet. There are threads here that discuss that.

The heavy cream is nice because it's low carb and has fat in it, in case you are getting a bunch of protein. I find it easy to get protein in, harder to get fat in. I work at it. The only problem is I don't drink coffee or tea so I just make whipped cream out of it with splenda or flavored splenda. It's yummy and has enough fat that you are full. No late night snacks wanted. You should start a journal. They are fun to have.

TTFN,

Lisa

ps: I see that you are on Atkins induction. I have to admit that I didn't see that and can't remember what is allowed in induction. I have read different versions of Dr. Atkin's books. Not sure which version you are doing. There are different threads here that you can go on and learn the most about induction. I can hardly remember induction. I also follow a little more of his 1989 version and 1972 version, not as much of the 2002 so I am not sure of all the restrictions and how much HC and splenda you are allowed. You will want to check the book for that. Good luck. Atkins Rocks!!!

Last edited by LMMS : Sun, Mar-15-09 at 19:56. Reason: correction
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Mar-15-09, 19:58

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 183/169/160 Female 5'6"
BF:yes, lots!
Progress: 61%

1cynthiag, HC stands for heavy cream, and it is my understanding from what I have read in both Atkins books (I'm plowing through the original right now) that the more fat you eat, the better it is for your metabolism.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Mar-16-09, 15:35
Registered Member

Stats: 167/165/120 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 4%

Hello to all!!!
I have been trying to do Atkins since 2/9/09 but I got REALLY sick. At first, I thought it was just the "Induction Flu", but I was wrong. I wasn't eating because I didn't have the strenght to cook or even get up from my bed. I decided I needed to eat whatever my hubby would cook for me if I wanted to get better. I got sick 2 weeks after starting Atkins and have been trying to get back on the wagon since then. Before I got sick I weight 159. I have restarted today and I weigh 162. Not bad, just a 3lb gain. I'm on day one and doing GREAT!!!

Hope I can join your group!
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Mar-17-09, 07:30

Plan: Atikins
Stats: 231/221.2/135 Female 5 ft 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%

Hello All! It's St. Patty's day which means a BIG potluck at the office. I decided to bring something low carb that I could put out and feel like I was participating in the celebration. Made a SF chocolate pudding with cream cheese and cream that tastes pretty good AND a green jello & cream cheese mixture that I'm not sure about. Don't know that anyone else will eat them but I will and not feel I'm missing anything. Hope it works and I stay away from the other items. Donuts and bagels are out now which I can skip but I have a hard time when it comes to the desserts that will be out later.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Mar-17-09, 09:32

BF:
Progress:

Hello Lisa,

Thanks for claryinging HC, Ha... I should have know that! lol
I am back on induction after failing over the weekend, Doesn't matter HOW HARD I TRY, I just can't stay on as you can see from my previous posts. I was 161 prior to weekend and went back up to 167 and now back to 163. Tell me, is that just water weight? I can see me gaining and losing fat like that. Doesn't make sense.
Also - I wanted to know if anyone takes water pills and how much water everyone drinks. I try to drink a gallon a day, is that to much?

Thanks Guys!

Austinsmommy2009~vzw.blackberry.net
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Mar-17-09, 15:30

Stats: 208/203.6/170 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 12%

Hi 1cynthiag... Well, I find that when I have a cheat meal, i can easily put on 3 lbs of water weight -- so, I doubt it's pure fat weight... I used to allow myself a cheat meal every two months but I stopped that b/c I think I discovered that by giving into the cheat meal, I lose out on what I think would be a "whoosh" of weight loss. I basically start getting MAJOR cravings for something baaad, i.e. hamburger and french fries or lots of sushi rolls, etc... but after reading other people's posts about overcoming cravings and having weight losses of about 3-4 lbs, I decided to stop my cheat meals... (for now
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Mar-17-09, 17:13

BF:
Progress:

Hello Maria150,

Yea I know what you mean about getting MAJOR cravings! DH says hey you already cheated why not again then again.. And before i know it, its Sunday and I have eaten everything under the sun cause why not, I already started!!
I DONT want to do that anymore.. I have never been overweight, I was always the one out lifting the guys in college and running up and down massive hills...
These days with my toddler, I dont have as much time so its hard. I just adopted a German Shepard so now I am forced to walk him and not only that I no longer have to be scared of hiking in the hills alone!!
Soooooo.. I GOTTA MOVE now!!

**FINGERS CROSSED!

Going out tonight for St. Pattys Day. I will be a good girl and drink Bacardi and diet coke