Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-19-17, 07:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/120/115 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default Hi everyone

I have been dieting off and on all my adult life. It is one of my hobbies.
I started fasting about 2 months ago and lost some weight but it was hard. I have been eating AGE less for about a year. No browned foods.
I started the Atkins' induction diet on May 1. Partly to see if it was hard and what I would eat. My DD suffers from chronic migraines and LC/HF was suggested at the Migraine World Summit as a miracle cure. I thought I could convince her to try it if I had done it myself. She started in the general direction by eliminating gluten and lowering the amount of milk she is drinking. She has been migraine free for 8 days. It has been a long time since she went over a week without a migraine. She has also increased some preventative meds at the same time. I am cautiously optimistic.
I am close to my goal weight and I really just want to be healthy and have more energy. I have no major health problems. My GERD is much less now and I would like it if my osteoarthritis were better.
Any suggestions on using Search function? Everything I have tried so far has no matches found.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-19-17, 09:13

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Hi Mandasmom and welcome!

Sorry, I don't have advice about the search function - I just wanted to welcome you and to say that I used to get headaches when I ate sugar, always on the left side of my forehead. They weren't terrible headaches, but they were a little reminder that sugar is really bad for me.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-19-17, 09:32

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

welcome. use "advance search" as it uses google that has indexed this website pretty thoroughly
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-19-17, 09:54
Registered Member

Stats: 208/190/150 Female 5 foot 6 inch
BF:
Progress: 31%

Welcome! I'm new myself so I don't have any tips, sorry!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-19-17, 12:19

BF:

Thank you Thud. Advanced search works very well.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-19-17, 12:20

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

The main search box is disabled, as Thud mentioned, click on advanced search right below it.
Also scroll through the General Health forum.

I would suggest rather than just lowering gluten, your DD eliminate all wheat, grains, etc. Many success stories using Wheat Belly. All his books explain why full removal of grains, and not just use gluten-free products, is needed.
http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/?s=Migraine
The difference in its LC rules from Atkins is small but the never re-introduce grains rule important. Allows more net carbs too.

Welcome

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, May-20-17 at 02:21.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-19-17, 14:02

BF:

My DD is an adult and makes her own decisions, but I will send her this link.

She also suffers from nasal allergies and asthma. She gets vertigo even when she doesn't get the headache. I would really like her to try this diet. She has had so many restrictions for so long it is hard for her to eat out and most days she doesn't feel like cooking. She is worried about the Keto flu. She doesn't want to have a headache. Can't imagine why.
Her preventative medicine is causing some symptoms now that the dosage is higher. I was so happy to see her doing better with small changes in diet. I have my sweet, smart daughter back. Pressure drops and TOM may change all this today.

Thank you.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-19-17, 15:30

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Understand, my DD is 25. Doesn't listen to a thing I say
Wheat Belly, at 15 net carbs per meal, isn't Keto. And as long as salt and water intake is adequate, side effects are less likely. The two cups of chicken broth am and pm, worked for me, and that was coming off a high carb diet and going to 20g. Side effect myths here: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb.
Glad she has already seen a positive reaction. Wishing her good health. Maybe just try it for 30 days?
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-19-17, 18:58
Registered Member

Stats: 441/359/210 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Hello and welcome
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-20-17, 09:03

BF:

I am so glad I found this forum. There is a ton of information. I am getting so much just reading the old posts.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, May-24-17, 10:08

BF:

OK y'all I think I solved my problem. After sticking to the diet...I mean WOE for 3 weeks I was still having Keto Flulike symptoms. More...er...adequate water wasn't helping.
After reading many past threads here I realized I needed to up my electrolytes big time. At first I was concerned about getting too much. I decided on a plan and put it into action and I feel much better all ready.
Yesterday I bought No Salt made by French's and Epson salts. I added some Epson salts (2 handfuls) to a foot soak. I measured out 1/4 tsp of the No Salt (640 mg) and used it a little at a time over the day. I also used about 1/4 tsp table salt and ate some salty cheese. So that covered three of my electrolytes.
I made myself a sports drink out of some Celestial Seasons Wild Berry herbal tea with some sucralose and some No Salt and NaCl.
I was able to do a nice walk with a couple hills with no stopping because my heart was pounding so hard I thought it would come out of my chest.
I am so happy I feel better because I was contemplating going off the plan.
Thank you to all the previous posters who made my education possible. Especially the self-appointed Magnesium advocate.