Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 10:26

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

While we're on the topic of cals and bulking....

I have been struggling a bit with diet. If I don't get 180 plus g of protein, I become unreasonably hungry (read: cranky!). 200 g makes me feel pretty good. The problem is the rest of the diet. If I try to hit ratios of 60/30/10, I'm looking at 2900 cals. Is that going to be a bulk or a cut or just plain stupid? If I eat to comfort, my ratios end up being more like 45/45/10 and cals around 2k. I'm in the window where I can bulk and cut at the same time, so I might as well ride it til it dies, right?

Any comments on diet?

(198 lbs/135ish LBM, 26% BF, HIIT 3-4x/week, lift big 3-4x/week)

Cheers,

Friday
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 10:30

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%

If you are still making progress with what you are doing, why change? Keep rollin rollin rollin.

When you stall, then make a change.

Just my thoughts.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 10:32

BF:

That translates to don't push the cals and let the protein/fat ratio be almost 1:1, right? I can handle that. I've been worried mostly because it's not the typical keto ratio.

"Keep rollin rollin rollin." RAWHIDE!

Thanks, Dan

Friday
  #19   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 10:41
Registered Member

Plan: hi prot/carb/cal cycling
Stats: 138.5/133.5/120 Female 64 inches
BF:20%
Progress: 27%

I know it really hit home for me especially reading things from people who are in fitness and look the picture of perfection, and some that don't... it is always 10lbs, a little more muscle, some abs showing...always something that if we could just fix the problem all would be right with the world and usually it is a very arbitrary number (why is it always 10lbs ? )...well, that never happens cause then there are new goals and things to improve. I read a book once that had a great title...If it ain't broke, break it. I have kinda lived that way in my personal life as well as business, even if you think it is working for you and things are perfect, there is always room for improvement.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 10:53
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%

Could someone--one of you experienced, kind, articulate people--please answer a question I've had for a long time and have never been quite able to get my head around?

I am so confused about how to go about "cutting" as opposed to "bulking."

I would like to do both, but my main goal is to get rid of 6 pounds, minimum, of body fat.

I'm doing cardio AND lifting heavy, three times a week, as per BLF. Eating at my total daily energy expenditure minus about 20%. Diet includes 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight.

So what am I doing, cutting or bulking? LOL? I can't do both at once, right? Which should I pursue first, and exactly what do I eat to go about it?

Thank you. Please speak to me in words of one syllable, since I am so addled at this point.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 11:00

BF:

Hi, Rose!

Actually, if you are new to exercise and/or lifting, you CAN do both at once. Bulking generally requires an excess of calories, relatively low fat and some carbs with your protein (right folks?). After the 'newbie bonus' described above, people who bulk have to accept that they will put on some extra fat along with their extra muscle. That's why they switch diets later to strip off the fat and show off the new muscle.

Cutting generally requires a caloric deficit or a ketogenic diet. Cutting also tends to, but doesn't have to, remove a bit of muscle along with the fat.

Does that clear it up?

Cheers,

Friday

IMHO, ppl who can bulk while on a cutting diet should milk it for all it's worth! That's my plan right now.

P.S. Did I read in another post of yours that the pant-o-meter is moving for you? Woo Hoo!! Don't be surprised if you end up looking like you're at goal w/o having lost as many lbs as you think you need to. You'll gain some muscle in the process.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 11:00

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%

You are cutting. Continue to cut.

Bulking is (generally) the intentional overeating and heavy heavy training used to lay down lots of muscle mass. Usually brings some fat gains with it. AKA Off-season. Lots of lifting, powerlifts, minimal cardio. Everything geared towards muscle gains. Lots of food, lots of lifting, lots of rest.

Cutting is (generally) cutting (!) your calories to below maintenance to cause a loss of bodyfat. When cutting it is a huge success if you can manage to maintain or add lean mass while you lose fat. Everything geared towards fat loss and muscle maintenance. HIIT, fat burners, etc.

If your cals are at maintenance, you are maintaining. That's all I know about that one since I have never been there.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 11:07
Kid R

Thank you both. Mwamwamwa *I kiss your hands*

Finally, an explanation even I can understand, lol.

Friday, I'm not a beginner to lifting--just a beginner to lifting heavy. I lifted "girlie style" for almost 9 months. Then I fired my trainer.

OK, so I may lose some muscle mass as I lose fat, is that what you're saying? I guess I can minimize that somewhat by eating all the protein, right?
Is one gram per pound of weight enough?

And what kind of fat burners, dan? I'm only doing the green tea supplement right now.

Thanks again.

Yep, pant-o-meter is looking better. But darn being a female, one never knows what's water weight and what's real, lol.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 11:16

BF:

Rose, I doubt in your case that you will lose muscle. You will probably gain it from the change in your lifting. If you've only now started 'lifting heavy', you'll be getting the newbie bonus. The losing muscle is more what happens to the big guys, and even there I'm only talking a pound or two.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 11:41
Kid R

K, friday, thank you again, now I kiss your feet. (Metaphorically speaking, of course).