Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Mar-22-02, 09:40

Plan: my own
Stats: 135/110/110
BF:
Progress:
Default Hair loss

well I have lost so much weight on Atkins I'm sure it contributed to my hair loss. It's been about 5 months now for me. It was really bad for the first 4 months and has slowed down a bit. There will be da6ys where I think it has stopped and I get all excited and then 2 days later it starts falling again so I don't get it. I don't see any new growth either. I hope like you it stops soon. I do have a wig as a back up and I wear these hair extensions that clip on and help a little. I'm disappointed with myself that my quest to be thin led to this and that I can't stop the diet as I know it's due to this.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Mar-22-02, 10:03

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%
Default I wonder?

I looked at your profile and your start weight is where I am now and we are the same height?! Wow I wonder if U are lacking vitamins? Are U extremely smalled boned? At 110 , I would think U must be very thin, and I wonder if not having enough body fat is one reason for your hair loss?
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Mar-22-02, 14:08

BF:
Progress:
Default Hair loss

well, I am 5'6" and weigh 108. I'm definitely too thin and would qualify myself as having an eating disorder (sort of along the lines of anorexia) as I am unable to convince myself to gain weight. I eat about 1600 calories a day and take EFAs and a multi. I don't focus on fat and eat fairly low carb, mostly egg whites, chicken, fish and salads and Atkins bars so probably about 25-50 carbs a day (depending on how you count the atkins bars). If I started eating breads and pasta again I'd probably get back to my original weight of 130 in a few weeks but psychologically, like an anorexic, I can't convince myself. I'm not trying to lose more weight but I like it where I am. I am dealing with this though with a therapist, but it's hard.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Mar-22-02, 16:50
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 128/128/114
BF:
Progress: 0%

im sorry to hear about the eating disorder. i just want to say that we at this board will be as supportive to you as possible. i hope the therapist can help, too. =) why do we have to deal with this?!
i think i have an eating disorder, but basically that food is just on my mind more often than it should be. i hate having to think about it all the time, it leads to stress, which probably leads me to gain weight!
i figure when i finally lose the weight that ive put on, ill try to be sensible, eat how i used to eat, everything in moderation (but of course, still eat mostly healthfully). there will then hopefully be no need for me to binge on something ive been not allowing myself for a long time.
i wish you the best and i hope you are feeling better soon. if you can, eat the yolks in the eggs. there are so many great nutrients in there, and it wont make you gain weight (*maybe bring you to a healthier weight?)
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Mar-22-02, 17:36

BF:
Progress:
Default Thannks

Hi Monika- thanks for the support, I really appreciate it. I too have always had difficulty figuring out when I was full. I seem to have a pattern though. With the atkins I used to eat lots of fat and not worry about calories and I lost weight. then I kind of plateud. Then I found that eating fewer than 2200 calories was what I needed to lose more weight. then I went in the hospital and lost more weight (unrelated to diet). I found that I finally had achieved the body I wanted but my hair started falling out. I also lost way too much weight from my face but still it seemed that being finally skinny superseded the other things. Other than the hair loss I am quite healthy and I wish I could just gain weight on my face but we all know how that goes. I don't think my body looks too thin, it's just that I;ve always had a super thin face to begin with so people really notice it now that I've lost the weight. So I have this dilemma that I'm trying to resolve. I love the diet and feel like I eat enough calories and don't really miss the carbs too much thannks to the atkins bars but you are probably right, I'm not getting enough fat which is why I supplement with essential fatty acids. Thansk again and good luck to you too