Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-24-18, 18:58

Plan: atkins
Stats: 250/250/175 Male 5ft 8in
BF:
Progress:
Default Talk me off the ledge SUPER FRUSTRATED

So I have started back on Atkins again after being successful the last time losing almost 60 pounds. I was getting cardio everyday lifting weights three time a week and really watching my carbs. But because of all of the exercise I started cheating hear and there with no consequences but then hurt my shoulder and started not going to the gym. Fast forward 5 years and right back where I started. I got diagnosed pre-diabetic and said that was it and needed to make serious life changes. So for the last two and a half weeks strict induction diet cardio everyday and.....nothing no change in weight no change in size WTH. I am beyond frustrated I am disciplining myself and to see no results is spirit breaking. I looked up why it may not be working but none of the reasons apply to me. My last ditch effort was to look up insulin resistance and trying some of the supplements caratine, cinnamon, and chromium. I am curious if anyone has tried these. I will say that I am sleeping better (not sure if it is just from the exercise) not sweating in my sleep and not as tired(again not sure if from exercise. I swear if I don't see any weight change I may just break and eat a pizza stuffed with french fries while drinking a chocolate shake.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-24-18, 20:02

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

The most foolish thing you could do right now is to eat the foods that have caused you to gain weight in the first place and put you in the pre-diabetes category. Two and a half weeks is not nearly long enough to make any conclusions and certainly too soon to be going off the ledge. Climb down, breath and be patient. There is a solution to be found. Without knowing exactly what you are eating I can't begin to advise you on how to adjust your diet or even if you have to, nor am I any kind of expert, but I can advise you not to go back to the way of eating that got you where you currently are. Have you been to the dietdoctor.com site? There's lots of good info there on low carb eating and ways to adjust what you are eating if it doesn't appear to be working. If you tell us exactly what you are eating others here may be able to make suggestions.

Jean
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-31-18, 01:21

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

I am overweight!!! BUUUTTT my numbers are good, because I live low carb. It is not all about the weight.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-31-18, 03:39

Plan: atkins 20
Stats: 127.6/111/110 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Good Morning....ohhhh, I hear your frustration, but hold on here just for a minute and take a look at what you are doing...
You mentioned strict induction, OK, so tell us which Atkins Plan are you following? Are you charting everything you eat and keeping track of you fat, carbs calories and protein? I will say that you need to give your body time to adjust and figure out this new WOE, bu I can't help wondering if you are maybe, just maybe not eating enough...EVERYBODY is different, I too struggled with stalls or at least what I thought were stall, I contacted Atkins Nutritionist's and here is what I was told, hopefully this will help you get past this phase or at least give you enough hope that you WON'T JUMP.... BEST OF LUCK TO YOU

Thank you for contacting Atkins Nutritionals.

I thought the following things we hear the most often when people say they've plateaued, not been as successful losing weight or gained weight might help you get back on track:

1. eating less than 18 net carbs in a day
2. not getting the 12-15 net carbs from vegetables everyday (that’s approximately 6 cups of leafy greens and 2 cups of cooked vegetables)
3. too many artificial sweeteners/sugar free foods
4. too few calories: for women it should be 1500-1800, for men it should be 1800-2200
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-01-18, 01:52

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Good info Zoogirl!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-01-18, 04:24

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

As Jean said, we would need to know which "Atkins" plan you are following and what you are eating. Dr Westman jokes, when he asks patients what they eat, they are often following the "Chet Atkins" plan. You may do better to follow a strict 20g Total Carb plan to control your BG and reduce insulin, like this: https://www.dietdoctor.com/se/wp-co...starch_diet.pdf Note, no nuts, cheese and cream are limited, no alcohol, just whole real foods with their natural fats. Are you taking your BG before and after meals? Good way to find foods that will work for you. http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2016/...ng-blood-sugar/
You don’t need to do cardio, nor take supplements, you can reduce BG by eating the right (very low carb) foods. Are you on any medications, even OTC?
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=453311

And Check out the recent threads in the Diabetes forum also. http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45
The Dr Bernstein protocol limits carbs to 6-12-12 for three meals, Dr Westman's Plan is more flexible but suggests spreading the carbs through the day, a guideline would be no meal over 7g carbs. This woman has recipes for meals that follow those guidelines. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=470795

And lastly, Dr Eades has great advice for Why it is harder "the second time around" Hint, it's our approach, not the the Diet https://proteinpower.com/drmike/201...w-carb-dieters/

All the best

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Feb-01-18 at 04:32.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-07-18, 14:49

Plan: atkins
Stats: 250/250/175 Male 5ft 8in
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for all of your words of encouragement. I kept on with it and have started to lose.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-07-18, 16:51

Plan: Custom 22/2 Clean Fast
Stats: 290/258/210 Male 72.5
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmesa66
Thanks for all of your words of encouragement. I kept on with it and have started to lose.

Give this WOE a full hardy 6 months and I bet you will lose weight and inches. Like said before, its not all about dropping pounds. It about getting your body healthy.

I am a good size guy but my numbers are also great and I am losing few pounds a week.

Stay with it, you will see a difference after 3 months.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-08-18, 07:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 385/338/225 Male 6'2
BF:
Progress: 29%

I just went through a 3 week stall and it finally broke with a 5 pound loss. If you started to exercise at the same time as the diet, your body is going to retain fluid as it adjusts. As people have said, the weight loss will come.