Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-02, 13:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 249/193/160
BF:
Progress: 63%
Question Throwing up - just starting. Suggestions?

Hi guys.

I have been doing Atkins for a day and half so far, and after my third and 4th means on the program I felt incredibly sick, and threw up, a lot.

This is the list of foods I had yesterday - my first full day on the program:

50g smoked salmon
2 eggs
50g brie
1/4 cup celery
1/4 cup mushrooms
1/4 cup capsicum (green pepper)
1 chicken breast - grilled
1/2 a med tomato
1/4 cup alpha
50g Feta cheesse
1 tbs Italian dressing
1 tbs Ceasar dressing
2 bacon rashers (grilled)
1 cup lettuce

I drank 3.675l water and peppermint tea (cause I was feeling so blah). I usually drink about this much water anyway, as my office is right next to an iced water fountain.

I used to eat mainly bread/pasta/cereal, cheese, tomatos (my fav food in the world), some veges, and meat only once every couple of days.

Ok, so my question is this. Is this my body just having fits from the amount of fat and protien I am intaking other than carbs? How long does this last? Any foods I can try that won't make me throw up?

Many thanks in advance.

Love
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-02, 04:12

Plan: Atkins 14 day
Stats: 189/186/164 Female 5ft 11inches
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Me Too!!

Me Too!!

Hi

I'm a new low carber too and also threw up on day 4 lots! I had head -aches too, which I put down to stopping caffeine. I have been fine ever since and have lost 10 llbs in about as many days!! (I think being sick helped there - lol!) I too would be interested to know if anyone else has and the explanation why?

Don't be put off though as I said I have been fine ever since, I feel healthier, look healthier and seem to have more get up and go

Regards:

Jan1ce35
England
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-02, 08:52

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 180/176.5/145
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Been on the ATkins 2 weeks!

...............and I had headaches on day 2 & 3 day, but no throwing up at all?????? That must be unusual. Is it possible you might have had a 24 hr. virus?

I am sure you will be getting feed back on this matter, but I persoanlly have not heard anyone say anything about throwing up? Sorry to hear you are not feeling well!

Jo Ann in TEXAS
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-02, 08:58

Stats: 171/147/125
BF:
Progress: 52%

When I started I was pretty sick for about 4 days, and I did throw up. Same thing happened last year when I got back on track after the holidays. I think it's just a form of carb withdrawal, probably has a different effect on different people. You'll be better soon!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-02, 09:20

Plan: Atkins 14 day
Stats: 189/186/164 Female 5ft 11inches
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Thanks

Hi thanks for your response, I was fine by the evening I think it was a result of the diet and the lack of caffeine. I feel really healthy now and have learned a lot from the forum especially to drink plenty of water - again thanks.

Janice
England
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-02, 12:12

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Hey there everyone!

When I started Atkins, the first two weeks were quite difficult as far as nausea goes. I'd been a vegetarian for 8 years and was still not a big meat eater so it was a MAJOR change in diet for me. Within those two weeks I thought that I was really going to have trouble with sticking to LCing because it made me sick to my stomach to even think about putting more flesh in my mouth. The good news is that it passed! I'm quite content now with the food that's allowed.

Just hang on and hang it. It WILL get better!

Marlaine
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-02, 00:35

Stats: 169/153/120 Female 62"
BF:Start38%
Progress: 33%

My headaches were so bad I couldn't even walk around. Nausea and hot sweats too. I just added a few more carbs and my headaches went away, when I lowered to induction level, they return. I think my nausea was also exacerbated by the vitamin supplements.
Good luck
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-02, 00:40

Stats: 249/193/160
BF:
Progress: 63%

Thankyou so much for your feedback guys!

I got through yesterday without throwing up, but I came close too many times to make the day too much fun. I am pleased to know it isn't just me.... as I read the sticky newbie questions and didn't see it up there.

I am lucky in that I don't have any headaches at all.

Today is almost done and I am feeling pretty good. I think tomorrow will be the critical day when my body recovers from it usual high carbo load.

Again, thankyou!

Cheers
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-02, 08:35

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 180/176.5/145
BF:
Progress: 10%
Question Why are people getting sick to their stomachs?

I couldn't help but repsond to this. I have been on the Atkins now for going on 3 weeks, and I have not been sick to my stomach. I did have a headache for a couple of days. But, if I had been sick, like some of you are saying, I would not have stayed on this diet.

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHY PEOPLE ARE GETTING SICK? This does not sound good to me for whatever reason it is!!

Jo Ann in TEXAS
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-02, 08:51

Stats: 315/283/170 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 22%
I too, have been on Atkins for a couple of weeks and never got nauseated at all.

One problem that happens to me though is getting sick if I take suppliments without having food in my stomach. I normally take a lot of meds (8 different pills 3 times daily) and have a problem if I take the whole bunch along with my suppliments - while having an empty stomach.

Another reason could be the withdrawal to caffene and carbs. The change in food going in wacks the body out with some people until they can adjust.

Above are just my opinions, though
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-02, 11:54

Stats: 241.5/236.75/140
BF:
Progress: 5%

I don't know much about this diet, other than what I've read, but I do know that nausea and headaches and chills and even nervousness are symptoms of withdrawal from an addiction. I am just guessing, but I'll bet that the stronger the reaction you have during induction, the more of a carb problem you had. My eyes have really been opened to the whole concept of being addicted to food, but now I believe it. I am in a family of addicts, most of them harder stuff, but for me it was caffeine and sugar.

People underestimate the amount of control an addiction can have over you, and it is even harder to acknowledge and deal with when it is food. I would think that as long as your temperature is normal, and your visits to the bathroom are relatively uneventful, and that you aren't passing out or anything, that you need to ride through the withdrawal. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Just my experience ,
Rochenne
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-02, 13:23
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/159.6/145
BF:
Progress: 27%
Default withdraws

i am just starting out too....3 days...so far other than the complete mental NEED for carbs i am ok...feeling pretty good...
not to make light of your concerns. the only time i feel sick is the thought of getting back on the scale and seeing if this works?!?
yikes