Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 07:19
Registered Member

Plan: NHE
Stats: 145/138/120
BF:
Progress: 28%
Default Alternatives...and what is the truth?

Is there anybody on here who is a mental health expert? I wish I could get the truth once and for all...if there is such a thing! It seems it is all experimental, and nobody really has a clue as to what will work and whether it will have side effects, specifically weight gain. I have been on five (5) different antidepressants and only felt really good with Paxil. I had to stop because I got pregnant. I tried it again later, it didn't work. In '96, I went on Prozac and gained 20 lbs. I STILL haven't gotton it all off, despite dieting and exercising RELIGIOUSLY!

My DH is at the end of his rope, and wants me on meds again. He says he'd rather me be happy even if I have to be fat!!! I don't like that choice...fat is unacceptable! My GYN said that these meds mess with the thyroid. My own theory is that they cause carb cravings in order to make more serotonin. I, personally, discard the theory that is has to do with feeling better, because depression does not reduce my appetite, it INCREASES it. I've been taking SAMe for about 3 weeks now, with no apparent improvement. I've noticed a couple of new things on the web: SEROTAB and SEROCTIN. Serotab claims to actually have serotonin IN it, but I'd like some testimonials/more research before I open my purse. I've tried 5Htp, no results. Does anybody have any REAL answers??? It really stinks to have to choose between being happy and being FAT!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 04:52
Midas in reverse

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/231/165 Male 75 inches
BF:~31%/~26%/<17%
Progress: 31%

I am not a mental health expert--I can only report what has worked for me, and what I have read, to wit:

(one of my posts from another thread):
Try L-Tyrosine, 300 mg,
Phosphatadyl Serine, 300 mg,
Vitamin B-12, 2500-5000 micrograms,
DMAE, 300 mg,
and/or Pregnenelone, ~50 mg.

I used to take Zoloft and Adderal for ADHD and OCD, until a change of jobs caused loss of health benefits. I had to find non-MD-prescriptive solutions. These worked for me. There was an almost immediate lift (within 45 minutes) after taking the megadose of Vitamin B-12 the first time, and L-Tyrosine works better than caffiene.

5-HTP=5-Hydroxy-Tryptophan
I occasionally use 5-HTP to get to sleep with, in doses of 100-200mg--it takes 2-3 hrs to kick in. My daughter's Wing Chun sifu, who had been suffering from chronic insomnia, tried it at my urging, and got the first real sleep he had had in several months.
Dr. Atkins recommended it for sleep disorders and depression, although he describes much higher doses in his book Dr. Atkins Vita-Nutrient Solution. A quote from page 190:
People who are depressed have low blood levels of both serotonin and tryptophan. Prozac, Zoloft...work by extending the life of serotonin in the brain. Tryptophan attacks depression more safely...

I hope this helps.

Try this site from a post from DuPont.

Last edited by Azraelle : Thu, Jun-12-03 at 05:21.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-16-03, 10:29
Registered Member

BF:
Default Thanks...

Thanks...I am printing your suggestions. Just curious...what is a Wing Chun sifu???
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-16-03, 18:52
Midas in reverse

Wing Chun was one of the original Kung Fu styles--the one that Bruce Lee was originally trained in in Hong Kong, though after he moved to America, he created his own style, called 'Jeet Kun Do'. A sifu is the martial arts instructor.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-19-03, 08:29

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Redhead, blonde, brunette

Which one is the truth?

I've been thinking about this post for a couple of days and that struck me last night. There is no one "truth" in any of this, any more than there is one diet plan that works, or one exercise routine, or one anything.

I guess 20# makes some people "fat;" that's just as much part of our diversity as the hair color thing. Wish 20# was my problem. You mention "dieting religiously" but don't say that you follow LC or Atkins but you are on this board so maybe you do; I know that religious diets that aren't LC can't possibly take off the weight for me.

There is an awful lot of energy in your post, and anger and frustration, and I wonder what you are doing about that? Although I also take medication for depression (BTW, you didn't mention Wellbutrin; it sounds like you've been working on the SSRI side and W. works on the dopamine side), I would not have made lasting progress without major attitude adjustments and consciously learning to look at the world in a new way. Some of the martial arts, and other physical disciplines like yoga, can help people "back into" a new way of thinking without direct therapy.

Hope you can find a route that works for you.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-20-03, 03:53

Plan: Atkins & Hypnosis
Stats: 229/229/150 Female 63 inches
BF:not a clue!
Progress: 0%
Default I agree

I agree--The truth is , what works for one person may not work for someone else.

This is what helped me
Therapy, exercise, diet, praying & meditation, listening to uplifting music, watching inspirational TV, community service, 500mg/day 5htp & Time.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-20-03, 07:52
Registered Member

BF:
Default Replies

cs carver - thanks for replying. Yes, 20 lbs. is a big deal because it won't come off! I am under five feet tall, so it looks like more than it is! BTW, my numbers are only estimates since I don't own a scale. I was approx 15 - 20 lbs. overweight BEFORE putting on the prozac pounds. You're right, it could be alot worse, though. Had some cruel things said to me when I was younger, and just can't erase those voices!

Yes, LCing is the ONLY thing thing that works. I have been doing it for 13 months. I initially lost approx. 7 lbs. but am now on an eternal plateau. I have been exercising for a decade. I do T-tapp, kickboxing, step and floor aerobics, aerobic weight-training, and running. None of that made the least bit of difference until I started LCing. It haven't been able to reach my goal, but I am grateful for the little bit I was able to lose.

The "energy" in my post came from arguing with my husband. He was really pressuring me to get on medication. I got the feeling that he was seeing this as a "quick fix" that would somehow solve all our problems. Later, the truth came out, and I found out that he was really upset about some things that were happening on the job. He has a tendency to "stockpile" anger...and guess who bears the brunt of that(???) He has since quit badgering me, and I feel better that I am free to make any decisions on my own.

Another sore point is our health insurance. He is self-employed, which means we only have INDIVIDUAL insurance. If you're not familiar, they DISCRIMINATE against you for taking anti-depressant/anxiety meds. It truly isn't fair, but I don't see anybody doing anything about it. Anyway, all that should explain where the anger comes from.

Wellbutrin was one we discussed, however, I'm a little afraid of messing with dopamine. My father was a paranoid schizophrenic, and I understand this involves dopamine.

Re: martial arts: Yes, actually I'm interested! I'm just not sure where to go...my 8 yr. old is in karate, and I could get a discount, but I'm not sure their program is best for me. I don't like the idea of everyone watching me.

DuPont,

See above...exercise is not a problem. I'm in counseling and we are doing "TheoPhostic" Ministry. My counselor feels very strongly that this is what I need, however, I'm getting frustrated with it. It doesn't address the here and now...all hope is deferred until we go into the past and find the "lies" that are causing my problems. I really don't know whether to stick with it or not. Insurance isn't covering it.

Last edited by Greenwings : Fri, Jun-20-03 at 08:06.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jun-20-03, 16:14
Midas in reverse

The martial arts studio that I originally took my daughter to when she was 14 (she's now married at 24) was called White Tiger Kung Fu--I believe it actually is franchised, but the reason why I picked that one (out of the ~100 or so that were available in Las Vegas at the time) was because it was the only one that the guy at a martial arts store knew about that regularly did individualized instruction. Since I lived ~100miles away at the time, I could only afford to take her once a week--they agreed to give her two 45 minute sessions back to back, for $30/wk, until the standard fee of ~$500 for the first 3 belts was paid up. They didn't hold you to a set schedule--you had as much as 2 years to earn them. Look around==you should be able to find someone willing to give individual instruction. A guy I worked with told me he had a black belt equivalent in Wing Chun, and he agreed to give her an additional hour each week for another $10 out on his lawn! For self-defense skills, as well as mental discipline, I would recommend some form of Kung Fu over Karate. You might try Capoera, if you can find a studio, a Brazillian slave martial arts form done, ideally, to the beat of a stringed drum, given your previous aerobics training.

This Atlanta site offers info, instruction (with individual classes as an option) in both types of martial arts, as well as several others.

Last edited by Azraelle : Fri, Jun-20-03 at 16:41.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jun-21-03, 23:03

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Interesting post

Personally, I had to clean up and learn to manage my current situation before I demonstrated to my soul that going back and looking at "lies" was safe, so my brain kept me shut down about the past. Then, when I learned what I needed to know to live fluidly in the world, I didn't care as much about "the lies," because I wasn't living in their shadow; I'd learned a new way.

My balogna-meter starts a low buzz when I hear that I need to do any "one" program. There are SO many... How can any one be the only one, or even "the best?" It's just the one that might work for me right now.

but you don't trust it or like it. And for me, so much of my childhood damage was about not being able to act on my own preferences that it's absolutely crucial for me to do what feels right now--else, how can I demonstrate to my soul that it IS safe?

Lots of thoughts on this and it's way late in my time zone and I'm getting fuzzy. Hope you find a way to act on what your heart knows, even if your head can't translate it yet.