Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 08:05

Plan: general LC
Stats: 195/142/148 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 113%
Default What happened to my PCOS? :)

I am on glucophage (1500 mg a day) and doing low carb and exercising. I have had PCOS for 20 years. During that time I've never had normal LH or FSH levels. Never had a normal ratio. Testosterone was very high.

I just retested levels of my hormones. LH, FSH, ratio, testosterone, estradiol, insulin and glucose were COMPLETELY normal!!!! I'm menstruating without hormones regularly. My weight is down 30 lbs from my highest (still about 10 to go on that). My acne and facial hair growth are still there but better so I hope over time they continue to improve. Oh and I'm starting to get a tiny waist lolol.

My doc says if the numbers stay normal he'll try taking me off the glucophage.

WOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had no idea things would get this good!

Squid
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 09:20
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Congratulations!!!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 17:33

Plan: Induction
Stats: 185/185/125 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Cool

Oh my god so it does work. I am 23 years old and I just found out that I have PCOS. There is nothing I want more in this world is to get rid of this facial hair.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-04, 13:09
Registered Member

Plan: My Own Low Carb Plan
Stats: 230/227/140 Female 5'3"
BF:40.7%/40.2%/24.8%
Progress: 3%

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! I'm 23 years old and have been diagnosed with PCOS as of 2 years ago. I take Metformin 2x a day. I've been doing Atkins for 2 months now and I'm only at a 10lb loss, but I'm still hanging in there. I actually started my period without hormones for the first time last month in 5 years. I can't wait for the day that my doctor will take me off the meds!
Hang in there and I'm here for support if you need it.
Again.. Congrats!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 10:06

Plan: Low Carb for PCOS
Stats: 169/150/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default Pcos

Unfortunately for us, PCOS is a syndrome and there really is no *cure*

This means that for most of us we will be able to control the symptoms but once we stop the Met or go back to a high carb diet, our symptoms will come back.

I have had great success so far, I started met at the end of march, lost 15 lbs and ovulated for the first time in 15 years two weeks ago and yesterday got my first scheduled period since I can remember. It is very nice to know how many other women out there have the same issues and successes.

I am low-carbing but not cutting out carbs completely, now most of my carbs come from whole-carb sources like whole wheat bread, fruit nuts etc.
No high fructose corn syrup either, as that is very very bad for me.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 10:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

For that matter, diabetes (Type 2 anyway) could be described as a syndrome that usually improves on LC eating and gets worse when carbage is added back.

I have read that PCOS is considered a "disease of disordered insulin sensitivity". So all we have to do to manage either condition is continue to eat low carb 98% of the time. That leaves room for your birthday, Christmas and a few other holidays. But LC every day.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-23-04, 12:19
Registered Member

Stats: 299/251/160 Female 5' 11
BF:
Progress: 35%

Congrats Squid!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-23-04, 21:39
Beautifully Chaotic

Stats: 334.5/320.0/150.0 Female 63 inches / 5ft 3in
BF:
Progress: 8%

How cool Squid.... gives a lot of us hope!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-23-04, 23:10

Plan: Atkins (controlling fat)
Stats: 170/162/126 Female 156
BF:
Progress:
Default Message for Hobiecat

Hi,
Was looking at what plan you follow and was interested to see Low carb for PCOS. Is that a book or something you put together?

Would love to know more about it.

Cheers

Lisa
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jun-24-04, 06:44

Plan: Low Carb for PCOS
Stats: 169/150/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default Low Carb

Hi Lisa,

I am actually not following any plan rightnow, I have read a bunch of books, in particular "What to do when the Dr says it is PCOS" and "the Insulin Resistance Diet". Plus another book called "Syndrome X". I also bought Dana Carbender's book on Cooking Low Carb

I do not follow atkins, and quite frankly I think that diet is a bit annoying, especially because most of the people I know who are on it cannot talk about anything else and they are doing it for the wrong reasons (think:really skinny people looking for attention)

I started by cutting out all (ok, almost all, I get cravings now and then) soda, high fructose corn syrup (which btw is in EVERYTHING) pasta, potatoes and anything that is extremely high carb. I switched to whole grain breads and more fruits & veggies. I started drinking at least 4-6 pints of water per day when at work, keeps me hydrated and gets me away from my desk to fill up the glass. I also went to see an endocrinologist who prescribed Metformin. That has helped jump-start my body. I have lost 20 lbs, I have been steady for 2-3 weeks at my current weight, my appetite has decreased, I have ovulated once and got a normal period. Now, I think the only way I am going to be able to really lose anymore weight is to actually start excersizing. That is my big downfall i HATE excersizing. BUT I will be on Metformin for life unless I decide I want my PCOS to come back, which I dont...

Hope that helpes.

Jessica
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-01-04, 17:32

Plan: Generic LC
Stats: 212/157/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 71%

Same thing happened to me, most of my PCOS symptons are gone. Acne is milder, but still there. It ranges from1-3 zits at any given time, as opposed to twelve or more. Still get a lite mustache and chin hairs, but I wax it. I have regular periods (predictable to the exact day), and I KNOW what day I am ovulating. LC has been my lifeline. Daily migraines are gone too.... Oh, and low blood suggar and the compliment.

By the way, I have been LC for over a year...... It just keeps getting better.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Aug-02-04, 17:32

Stats: 290/215.5/126 Female 5ft 3in
BF:
Progress: 45%

Jessica,

Hang in there! I've got PCOS and I've been LCing for about three or so months. I don't really 'exercise' I walk. I go to a park where there's a trail mapped out and I start early in the morning - before Florida's blazing sun starts beating down on me! At first I was doing about a mile, then two... Now I walk six to eight miles a day at least four days a week. It takes me more than 2 1/2 hours - but I'm really anxious to lose this weight because I'm trying to conceive. So far I've lost 38 pounds. Was is easy? No.

And you might be thinking 2 and a half hours? Who has that kind of time? I swear I'm sacrificing sleep and housework (never liked it anyway) just to get the walking in before I go to work. I scheduled it into my day. It's routine now. So much so that I feel like I've got a date with the other dedicated walkers at the park every morning.

One of the depressing things about PCOS is that you may never be really 'rid' of its symptoms. I battle the hair daily. I found that plucking (or waxing) leaves red bumps so I get to choose between red bumps or hair... There are meds to combat the hair but they're not for folks who are trying to get pregnant... So...

Irregular periods can be managed with metformin and Birth Control Pills... Some BCPs even ease acne... Hair seems ever present though...

If anyone knows any different PLEASE let me know so I'll have even more of an encouragement!

Ang
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Aug-08-04, 15:15

Plan: one that my doc gave me
Stats: 193/181/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress:

Squid..

This thread almost made me wet my pants with excitement. lol i have been doing a lot of research and i so badly want to be healthy and to conceive a child. i am also part of a few ttc boards and spoke with many women who are ttc with pcos and for the most part, the women with success lost the weight and are maintaing a healthy lifestyle. i don't mind taking my meds or excersising.. the hardest part for me is giving up the sweets. but i'm doing it, slowely... I'm so happy to hear your PCOS symptoms are pretty much gone. Congrats and keep up the good work.

Wendy
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Aug-15-04, 11:19

Plan: general LC
Stats: 195/142/148 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 113%

I thought I'd give an update since it's been 4 months since I posted this. I'm still on glucophage. I haven't been able to exercise since May because of a surgery I had.

I still do LC but not religiously. In other words, I do cheat now and then and sneak in a donut or a piece of cake on special occasions. But my high carb diet is gone for good. Now it's just a limited cheat instead of pasta, bread and potatos for staples. I find it pretty easy to stick on this plan if I let myself have that occasional treat.

I have managed to maintain my weight doing this. I'd probably lose better if I didn't have those little cheats, but I'm pretty happy with my weight. My periods are still completely regular and I have not missed one since January (every 28 days). The only thing I'm on is glucophage. My acne is much improved, but I do have to put a topical antibiotic on my face to keep it clear. My facial hair has not improved at all. I now have a waist that is under 35" which is where they say you start to be at risk for diabetes. I'm down to about 32 1/2". I have a figure again for the first time since my 20s (I'm in my 40s). My energy is very good. In short, I feel much better than I have for years.

What caused this? Was it the glucophage, the weight loss or the LC diet? Who knows. Maybe a combination of all of them. All I know is I'm going to continue to live this way because it works for me

~Squid