Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-03, 09:43

Plan: atkins
Stats: 400/333/250 Male 5'9
BF:49.5
Progress: 45%
Default Low carb dinner party tonight

I am havin a small dinner party tonight with another couple and no kids. ~ of us are on low carb and 2 are not.
I am going to fix this.

appitizer:
Beef Carpaccio~(raw shaved tenderloin so thin you can see through it)
Served with field greens, capers, mustard aioli, and~ shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano Parmesan cheese. Using cheeters brand garlic crackers to serve it on.

salad:
Just a good old fashioned ceaser with croton for the 2 non dieters
main coarse:
Gorgonzola crusted stip steak (Awesome looking 3/4 inch thick steaks)
grilled asparagrass with parm cheese
Sauteed Fresh Spinach~
(Lightly sauteed with garlic and~olive oil)
I am also going to make the non dieters and sourcream/roasted garlic mashed taters

For desert I and going to make sugar free shaved ice
You think this is ok for the dieters and the nons?

Last edited by ian559 : Sun, Sep-21-03 at 12:46.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-03, 09:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/120/130 Female 5"3
BF: ?
Progress: 120%

Mmmmm,

It sounds so delicious, and you really found a great way to accomidate the non lcers!!
Yummy

Good luck tonight,
Judi
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-03, 10:10

Stats: 140.0/121.5/125 Female 5'3
BF:going down!
Progress: 123%

May I please come?
Gosh does that ever sound delish!

NoSunNoFun
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-03, 11:16
Registered Member

Stats: 224/204/160 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 31%

I would like to come too!! One thing that I like to make when cooking for guests is fajitas! I just don't eat the tortilla. I offer it with salad and guacamole ! It's not too hard to entertain guests really! Your menu does sound truely terrific!
Mischa
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-03, 11:24

Classic italian is my speciality. For years I have been trying to prove that italian does not have to be heavy pasta and pizza. In my last resturant (sold it years ago)I only had a few pasta dishes on my menu. And most of those had small amounts of pasta. I put the emphisis on the fresh seafood, lamb, beef, veal, and pork.
Carpaccio sounds nasty to some being raw but it is a very exotic and lowcarb dish. If you had to compare how to serve it, it is kinda used like thin sliced smoke salmon
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-03, 12:23

Plan: The Ketogenic Diet/Atkins
Stats: 295/200/199 Male 5' 10
BF:
Progress: 99%

Yum! Your menu sounds great. They should be very pleased. Please send all leftovers to....
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-03, 12:24
Registered Member

Stats: 192/179/115 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 17%

WOW!!!!!! This sounds amazing! It puts my grilled chicken breasts to shame!

Have fun!!!

Elle
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-03, 12:28

oh I love grilled chicken breast!!!! So many ways to fix them. I love grilled chicken on a bed of mixed greens topped with grilled asparagrass and a nice homemade lowcarb vinagerate. A great summer meal. Lowcarb does not have to be boring. It can be so much fun.

Last edited by ian559 : Sun, Sep-21-03 at 12:31.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-03, 13:19

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 250/140/140 Female 5' 7
BF:?/28%/?
Progress: 100%

ian559
Dinner sounds great! Good thing you didn't post your address or we would all be there tonight. It is fun to have people over and serve them yummy food that is LC too. My inlaws spent last weekend at my house and were worried about our "strange" new way of eatting. At the end of the visit my mother in law was begging for my recipes, especially Parmesian Shrimp. We all live and learn.
Have fun.
Marie
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-03, 13:51

Stats: 185/170.5/145 Female 63in
BF:39%/34.7%/24%
Progress: 36%

ian- were you by any chance a chef at any point in your life? or do you just have a fetish for high-quality food, like me, and no real pedigree?

i have always taken cooking as a challenge, and have always taken joy from the unique pleasure of feeding someone's soul with fabulous foods. needless to say, going low-carb looked to be a real downer for me (italian was my absolute fave- read incredible fresh pasta dishes... *sigh*), but after making the commitment, i realized that it was yet another challenge, and perhaps the best one yet! and one that few people i know can beat me at! *grin* i have met people whose handmade croissants licked mine a hundred fold, but i have yet to meet someone who could boast that "that lemon-blueberry muffin you just enjoyed had 2 (count 'em, TWO) grams of carbohydrates, was chock full of high quality protein and fiber, and free of any processed frankensubstances or trans-fats" you know what i mean? i have conquered curries and sushi and timpani and hollandaise and etc... but making low-carb bread that doesn't taste like scrambled eggs with sand in it... now THAT's a challenge!!!

most often the comments i get over meals i serve to friends is "oh my God, i can feel my arteries hardening just smelling this..." i just smile and dig in, and tighten my belt another notch!

sounds like an awesome dinner- sometimes i feel like i'm alone in feeling that trading our donuts and mountain dew for slim jims and diet rite is really not improving us at all... thanks for the encouragement!

Last edited by Paradox : Sun, Sep-21-03 at 13:53.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-03, 14:01

Yes I was and still am a chef. I have been involved in 4 places in the last 20 years. All but 1 are still around.
I now am the personal chef to my wife and kids!!! I got out and decided to raise my children just over 10 years ago. I have still done consulting work and helped develop a few menus since then.
I agree that trading the bad for the bad may help us loose weight but does it teach us anything else.
The mediterain foods are great for ours diets. A low carb med diet would be great!!! You can fix great veggies and use oils that are better for our bodies. The meats can be devine.
But you are right there is no crusty hard bread. The cheeters brand crackers fill my void for somethings.
I have yet to try to tackle the bread thing. I for one hate "white bread" we use here in america. Once I figger out how to make great crusty low carb bread and be able to cook it on my stones wil I trully be happy

Last edited by ian559 : Sun, Sep-21-03 at 14:03.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-03, 14:10

Stats: 185/170.5/145 Female 63in
BF:39%/34.7%/24%
Progress: 36%

dude, if you can do that, I"LL be happy, too! i hate white bread meself. how i long for a good sun-dried tomato and kalamata focaccia served with a balsamic and olive oil dip... just need to figure out how to fake it! been playing with vital wheat gluten lately, and maybe with an egg-white brush before baking, i can get a quasi-crust... its just so durn expensive to mess up, what with all these specialty ingredients and all. (unlike unbleached white flour, which is dirt cheap. *snort*)

cool job, man (professional cookery). i have considered it, but it really is a full time thing, and i'd so rather work from home like i do. me and my tim have a home business, and we are going to home school our little guys, because we're so co-dependent, we just can't get enough of a each other (smirk). that must be the real reason we noticed you- its rare to find a daddy so involved and concerned with his little ones and family life! its definitely a blessing that not many men get to enjoy, being an integral part of their kids upbringing. nice meeting you in more detail, and getting to know you better! have an awesome day, and keep up the good attitude- its inspiring!
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-03, 14:34

My wife is a full time pharmacist and works all the time. We have our roles reversed I am the mommy and she is the daddy.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-03, 19:15

It was a wonderful time and the low carb fare was a super hit.
Paradox I found a focaccia recipe 3 to be exact. I will maybee try one this week and see if its yummy or not.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-03, 21:12
Registered Member

Stats: 192/179/115 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 17%

Glad to hear it was a success! As an aside, I love your name (its my son's name too

Elle