Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#961   ^
Old Tue, Oct-26-10, 07:49

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 74/76/67 Female 5ft 6.5 inches
BF:29/31/25
Progress: -29%

Yeah the fat is key. Otherwise bad things start to happen. When I was VLC I found myself chugging cream on a daily basis to get energy. I actually ate so much dairy at this point I ended up (becoming?) intolerant to the stuff. I also somehow managed to develop symptoms of low Cu and K - probably because of the dairy and also I was eating salted stuff and of course no greens etc. If I did it again, I would be really really strict about the salt and the dairy. But I don't think that's going to happen any time soon. I like my salt, gave up the dairy, and eat more variety now. Veggies with fat seem to suit me, and no K problems!
Sponsored Links
  #962   ^
Old Wed, Oct-27-10, 11:18

Plan: Mine, all mine
Stats: 160/120/120 Female 5'6"
BF:still got some
Progress: 100%

okay, the wolves eating grass is pretty cute.

we had a dog that would eat all the rasberries at her level....and we had a lot of plants.
  #963   ^
Old Thu, Oct-28-10, 10:23

Plan: VLC
Stats: 295/220/160 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 56%

I had a dog that would eat crayons, not just once, but every time it would find some. If the kids left out a box of crayons, they were gone.

p.s.: You know that old chestnut about red M&Ms, yellow M&Ms they all come out the same colour... well it's not true with crayons.
  #964   ^
Old Wed, May-04-11, 01:24

Plan: paleo with L plates
Stats: 180/162/143 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 49%

I feel at my best when ZCing. I feel like I won't eat out of control. A sniffter (informal measurement involving smell) of Hot Cross Buns sees me spiraling into a carb laden eating frenzy if I don't manage it. When I'm not ZC, I have no self control, like my insulin levels belong on a theme park ride. When I'm eating ZC I am in control and just eat meat eggs cheese and spinach / lettuce greens.
Someone mentioned diarrhea.... I experience on day 2ZC this symptom, its not debilitating but I would avoid roughing it style camping. It lasts a day and to me it feels like my body is getting rid of all the sugar, hence fluid retention around my middle (liver?- read a book, Sweet Poison, that has some serious scientific details re this. David Gillespie is the author and it details exactly, in a biochemical manner- so not light reading kids, how sugar makes us fat.) To my body, pasta, bread any hardcore carbs, behave like chocolate. So for me, ZC is somewhat sustainable. I can go a few months without breaking ZC, but when I do break, there is seriously not enough food in the world- and until I dose up on sardines and tuna to start to resume track.
I would add that taking a multivitamin to accompany ZC has been widely recommended, and I generally do, however I didn't take them for 3 months and did not suffer any ill health symptoms.
  #965   ^
Old Wed, May-04-11, 02:59

Plan: atkins
Stats: 290/278/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress:

"Is zero carb better for weight loss than low carb?"
This question is one that I too wonder about. Why 20% and not 15% or 30% - what does those amounts do that we need to have them? And of course , does zero mean quicker loss in the induction period.

Similarly (when discussing best weight loss management), should we be counting our calories also so that we don't go over the recommended 1,800 cals (as stated by Atkins nutritionist on their main website - again, I'm wondering why 1800 and not 1500 or 1000) - this seems to suggest that the less cals we eat on Atkins the more weight we should lose?
This being the case, then I'm wondering which of the proteins and fats that I eat should I take less calories from?

Last edited by Astotfold : Wed, May-04-11 at 03:11.
  #966   ^
Old Wed, May-04-11, 11:14

Plan: ZC/VLC
Stats: 243/220/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 22%

yarralea, I am with you in that ZC is the only thing that can tame my insane carb cravings. Problem is that I am not a huge meat fan so it is a giant undertaking for me to get my head in the right place to start this diet

But, on the diarrhea? That never went away for me on the 3 or so months I lasted on ZC. It was awful. I think I must be low in "something"(enzymes, acids, bile?) needed to digest meat or fat. I wish I could fix that issue because it was a HUGE problem for me
  #967   ^
Old Thu, May-05-11, 09:52

BF:

But, on the diarrhea? That never went away for me on the 3 or so months I lasted on ZC. It was awful. I think I must be low in "something"(enzymes, acids, bile?) needed to digest meat or fat. I wish I could fix that issue because it was a HUGE problem for me[/QUOTE]

Or perhaps high rather than low- and "over digesting" meat. Also avoid sugar free sweeteners, they can give an undesired effect in regards to ... well you know what! Sugar free lollies- oops, candy, like the xorbitol etc also tend to make me blow a ketosis reading to nil, like they are somehow converted. Not sure on the biochemistry of that one.

Hey I don't think my photo comes up on my posts.... can anyone see it, or advise me as to how I can make this happen?

cheerz from Oz
  #968   ^
Old Thu, May-05-11, 10:09

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchboy
I think the key point of low carbing is being in ketosis. This doesn't require zero carb.

Ketosis does wonderfull things to your body. For one thing; you clean up the 'junk-protein' that builds up in your cells as you age, as the body starts looking for dysfunctional proteins to protect muscle tissue (google for CMA). This build-up of junk-protein is one of the central symptoms of ageing. And fresh cancercells seem to be also recognised by the body as dysfunctional protein. Isn't that great? Burning your cancer for energy?

Next: burning fat in the mitochondria produces considerably less ROS than burning glucose. The ros-damage to mitochondria is one of the elements of ageing. That is why older people have less energy.

Ketosis stimulates (almost doubles) the production of glutathione, the mother of all antioxidants, the master detoxifier, and the key to a strong immune system.

Ketosis makes the body think you are starving and this triggers survival mechanisms like suirt-1 (search pubmed for suirt-1 for more background). Mice on low calorie diets can increase their lifespan by 30%. It is thought that it is the effect of ketosis that does this- not the hunger.

Some experts believe insulin is an ageing hormone. Animals that face a food shortage postpone reproduction untill better times. This essentially increases their life span. It is believed insulin plays a key role here.

Advanced Glycation Endproducts (AGE's) are the result of high bloodsugar and gives you wrinkles and stifness. Proteins that are covered with glucose (meillard-reaction) tend to form 'bridges' and become less flexible. That is why old people are stiff.

So, low carbing / ketogenic dieting goes way beyond weight management. My list is by no means complete. But I am convinced that keeping bloodsugar stable, insulin low and being in ketosis most of the time, is a key to the fountain of youth. I don't mind ageing, but I intend to die healthy and fit (deo volente).

Do continue! This is the stuff I like to look into. What sources provide this info?
LC vs ZC- I can't remain in ketosis if I eat low carb, such as including certain vegetables like peas, corn carrot- and for me ZC means avoiding carbs as much as possible. Baby spinach has, I think, about 4..6% carbs, but it weighs nothing. Adding flavour to fish, meats cheeses is the only carbs I have, and I figure if they are under 5% carbs and I have less than a spoon (20g-ish) it amounts to >1g carbs, and I regard this as negligible. Low carb to me, is any carb intake over 15g per day.
  #969   ^
Old Thu, May-05-11, 10:18

BF:

Cheers to previous posters that discussed organ meats.
My mother served me brains, liver and kidney as a child, and I recall being repulsed, but have had brains and livers as an adult when dining out (I'm one of those people who spies a dish, such as raw jellyfish, possum and pigeon, and has to try it) As an adult I enjoyed them, so I think I might have to investigate liver recipes, chicken hearts stir fried with.... bacon...garlic?

But raw jellyfish is hideous. Dont bother if you see it, and pigeon is like spatchcock with tiny annoying bones and possum had tiny triangular shaped bones which take too much effort to avoid swallowing.
  #970   ^
Old Thu, May-05-11, 10:39
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarralea
Cheers to previous posters that discussed organ meats.
My mother served me brains, liver and kidney as a child, and I recall being repulsed, but have had brains and livers as an adult when dining out (I'm one of those people who spies a dish, such as raw jellyfish, possum and pigeon, and has to try it) As an adult I enjoyed them, so I think I might have to investigate liver recipes, chicken hearts stir fried with.... bacon...garlic?

But raw jellyfish is hideous. Dont bother if you see it, and pigeon is like spatchcock with tiny annoying bones and possum had tiny triangular shaped bones which take too much effort to avoid swallowing.

If you'd like to join others who eat the way that you do, try this link:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...240#post8345240
  #971   ^
Old Fri, May-13-11, 20:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 248/149.2/148 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

OK where are the vlc maintainers.....I really want to hear from them.
  #972   ^
Old Fri, May-13-11, 21:22

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarralea
But, on the diarrhea? That never went away for me on the 3 or so months I lasted on ZC. It was awful. I think I must be low in "something"(enzymes, acids, bile?) needed to digest meat or fat. I wish I could fix that issue because it was a HUGE problem for me

Or perhaps high rather than low- and "over digesting" meat. Also avoid sugar free sweeteners, they can give an undesired effect in regards to ... well you know what! Sugar free lollies- oops, candy, like the xorbitol etc also tend to make me blow a ketosis reading to nil, like they are somehow converted. Not sure on the biochemistry of that one.

Hey I don't think my photo comes up on my posts.... can anyone see it, or advise me as to how I can make this happen?

cheerz from Oz[/QUOTE]

I learned my lesson on sugar alcohols long ago. yuck! No, this happens on just meat/fat. If I over digested my meat, wouldn't I just absorb the nutrients from it?
  #973   ^
Old Fri, May-13-11, 21:24

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonahsafta

you may want to try Satya's forum- Dirty Carnivore. Many of them are ZC or VLC
  #974   ^
Old Fri, May-13-11, 22:28
Wag more, bark less.

Plan: Meat.
Stats: 216/149/145 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:

Two-year ZC maintainer here.. do I count?
  #975   ^
Old Sat, Jun-18-11, 13:59

Plan: LC RPAH/FailSafe
Stats: 137/136/136 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:

VLC maintainer here. Ten years at LC, one year at VLC (ca. 20g/CHO/d).

Hi, Rose. To me your ZC maintenance counts gloriously!

Last edited by SilverEm : Sat, Jun-18-11 at 14:04.