Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#301   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-07, 09:07

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

Ok, it's been 5 weeks since I started lifting. I thought I'd assess how far I've come. I've lost about 6.2 lbs of body weight, 4.5 lbs of FM and 2.5 lbs LM. (I only measure BF when I hit an even number on scale weight, so it's not exactly a 5 week measurement, but close enough.)

Squats - 1 set of 10 to 3 sets of 10 and added in 10 lbs of weight.
Leg Curls - 3x10, no weight to 1 set of 40 with 5 lbs ankle weights.
Calf Raise - 3x10, no weight to 4 sets of 10 with 8 lbs dumbbell in each hand.
Seated Crunch - 25, no weight to 60 with 10 lb dumbbell held at chest.
Chest Press - 3x10, 2 plates to ~3x10 with 3 plates.
Pec Deck Fly - 2x10, 1 plate to 3x10 with 1 plate + a little extra weight.
One Arm Row - 3x10, 8 lb dumbbell to 3x8, 22 lb dumbbell.
Close Grip Pull Down - 3x10, 2 plates to 3x8, 3 plates.
Wide Grip Pull Down - 3x10, 2 plates to 3x8, 3 plates.
Shrugs - 3x10, 8 lb dumbbells each hand to 3x8, 20 lbs dumbbells each hand.
Lat Raises - 3x10, 3 lb dumbbells each hand to 3x10, 5 lb dumbbells each hand.
Triceps Extensions - 2x10, 8 lb dumbbell both hands to 3x8, 12 lbs.
Curls - 3x10, 8 lbs to ~3x3, 15 lbs.

I feel like everything is coming along well except for the pec deck fly. I also feel like I'm still losing too much lean mass. I know some loss is to be expected, though.
Sponsored Links
  #302   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-07, 19:25

weight 231.2
pre workout: dinner (salad bar at Ruby Tuesday's )

Warmup - treadmill, 5 mins
Chest Press - 3x10, 3 plates (70 lbs resistance)
Pec Deck Fly - 4x10, 1 plate + 2 lbs ankle weights (~13+ lbs resistance)
Arnies - 3x8, 8 lbs
Dumbbell Front Raises - 3x10, 8 lbs
Dumbbell Shoulder Press - 3x8, 8 lbs
Triceps Extensions - 3x8, 13 lb dumbbell both hands
treadmill - 5 mins
stretches
Time - 40 mins

Followed by shake:
6 ice cubes, 1/2 cup water
2 TBS protein powder (21 g)
1 TBS hardgainer mix (9 carbs, 5 protein)
squirt of DaVinci's choc syrup

An ok workout tonight. I was tired from being up too late last night and I'm still babying the shoulder. No problem tonight with the shoulder, so maybe this is starting to work. My arms were jelly by the end, so that's good. I stuck with the DBs tonight because I forgot to look up how to use the home gym for some of these. Duh.

I'm out of some of my supplies for the PWO shake, so need to place an order.
  #303   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-07, 21:15

weight 228.8
pre workout: dinner

Squats - 1x10 w/7 lb DBs each hand, 1x10 no weight, 2x10 5 lb DBs each hand
Leg Extension - 1x10, 5 lb ankle weights, 1x10, 1 plate (15 lbs resistance)
Leg Curls - 1x9, 1 plate using ankle strap (24 lbs resistance)
Leg Curls - 2x10, 1 plate using leg lever (15 lbs resistance)
Leg Curls - 1x6, 2 plates using leg lever (36 lbs resistance)
Calf Raise - 3x10, 10 lb DBs each hand
Single Leg Raise - 3x10, 5 lb ankle weights
Seated Crunch - 60, 10 lb dumbbell at chest
Bent knee hip raises - 3x10
Treadmill, 5 mins
stretches
Time - 60 mins

Followed by shake:
8 ice cubes, 1/2 cup water
2 TBS protein powder (21 g)
1 TBS hardgainer mix (9 carbs, 5 protein)
1 tsp glutamine
squirt of DaVinci's choc syrup

This was not a good workout. Oh I worked up a good sweat, but it was bad right from the start. I tried 7 lbs in each hand for squats and it was just too much for my knees. I couldn't get them right. So then I tried with no weight and held on to a chair to act as a warm up. That seemed to work better on my knee joints. Then I tried the 5 lb weights and the knees were hurting again. Then I tried doing them in front of a chair just down enough to touch the seat, which still bothered my knees. In any case they were lousy all around. I think the treadmill isn't enough of a warm up for the knee, so will try next time holding on to the chair as a warm up for the first set. What is so frustrating is that the last LBWO was great on the squats. I could tell the muscle was repairing all the way through yesterday.

I tried the leg extension on the gym and just don't think it is doing what I want, which is building up the stability in the knee. I'm going to go back to just using the ankle weights.

I also tried using the ankle strap on the gym to do the standing leg curls. That was impossible just due to the angle and weight of the lower pulley. So I switched over to the leg lever and that was better, awkward but better. I also noticed that using the strap hurt my ankle a bit, so I don't think it is the way to go. I remember seeing some other exercises I can do for the legs with the strap so I'll check into those.

I did the lying hip raises again and they work well for the abs. But boy, do I hate getting dizzy when I sit up afterwards. I just don't think there is anything else I can do for the lower ab without laying down... at least not unless I buy more equipment. I'll tough it out... it only lasts for 15 or 20 seconds.

So needless to say, I am not very satisfied, but I got through it. It's been about an hour ago and I can feel something was worked in my legs, so maybe it will still make a difference. I might just be better off doing only one LBWO per week, on the weekend earlier in the day. I'll try that next time to see.
  #304   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-07, 12:50

Weight 228.4
pre workout: shake w/27g carbs, 15g protein

Close Grip Pull Down - 1x15, 1 plates (warmup), 3x10, 4 plates (60 lbs resistance)
Wide Grip Pull Down - 3x10, 4 plates (60 lbs resistance)
Lat Raises - 4x10, 5 lb dumbbell each hand
Straight Back Seated row - 1x15, 2 plates (warmup) and 1x8, 2x6 3 plates (54 lbs resistance)
Seated High Row - 1x10, 3 plates, 1x10, 4 plates (60 lbs resistance)
One Arm Row - 3x6, 22 lb dumbbell
Shrugs - 3x10, 20 lb dumbbell each hand, 1x10, 2 plates (54 lbs resistance)
Curls - 1x6 and 1x4, 1x3, 15 lbs
Hammer Curls - 3x10, 10 lbs
treadmill - 5 mins
stretches
Time - 70 mins

Followed by shake:
4 TBS hardgainer mix (37 carbs, 19 protein)
1 TBS protein powder (11 protein)
squirt of Davinci's choc. syrup

Good workout today. I went back to having a preWO shake. I knew this would be a long WO so wanted the increased carbs/protein. I wanted to try using the gym for a few things. Mainly want to find something to replace the DB rows. Must of worked because when I did the DB rows after using the gym I couldn't do as many. I think the DB rows work better, though.

I also tried using the gym for the shrugs using the low pulley. That works except the cable rubbed the leg lever, so I only did one set. I'll have to see if I can move the cable around or figure out something. Overall, I think I can use the gym for UB... at least until I can get some more DBs and a DB rack. I just really like using DBs.

I also increased carbs post WO. I'm not sure if this is the right thing to do, but thought I'd try it. Based on what I'm reading, I want the insulin high right after WO. I'm also planning to keep carbs higher than normal in my next meal. I'm reading Nutrient Timing and it seems to make sense to me to do this. I may change my mind tomorrow, though.

I finally moved my gym into my workout room. I still need to arrange everything a bit better in there, but at least now all the equipment is in one place and I don't have to go from one side of the house to the other.
  #305   ^
Old Sun, Aug-05-07, 15:29

weight 228.6
pre workout: shake w/27g carbs, 15g protein

Squats - 2x10, no weight, 2x10 5 lb DB each hand
Leg Extension - 4x10, 5 lb ankle weights
Single Leg Raise - 4x10, 5 lb ankle weights
Leg Curls - 4x10, 2 plates (36 lbs resistance)
Calf Raise - 4x10, 10 lb DB each hand
Seated Crunch - 1x10, 2 plates, 1x50, 3 plates, 1x5, 4 plates (60 lbs resistance)
Seated Leg Hip Raises - 3x5
Healthrider - 3x25
Squats - 1x7, no weight
Treadmill, 5 mins
stretches
Time - 65 mins

Followed by shake:
1 scoop whey protein (26 g)
4 TBS hardgainer mix (37 carbs, 19 protein)
1 tsp glutamine
squirt of DaVinci's choc syrup & sprinkle of NuSalt

Finally! A good LBWO. I started with 2 sets of squats with no weight, holding on to the back of a chair primarily for balance. This worked well as a warm up. Also, the legs on the chair helped me to see where my feet feel best. It was easier to do the squats with the DBs after that. I'm still not parallel, but that will come.

I did the leg curls all on the gym. They are just ok. I don't get the full range of motion on the gym, but I can tell the muscles are having to work. I may have to do some on the gym and then some as kickbacks with the ankle weights just to get more range. Maybe I'll add the kickbacks to UBWO as more of a cardio type exercise.

I used the gym for upper abs. Still not quite sure if those worked well or not... I need more range. I also decided to try something different for lower abs and it worked very well. I sat on the edge of chair, leaned back and held on to the back of the chair up at the top and behind my head. Then I just lifted my legs up in a hip raise motion. This worked my lower abs much harder than laying on the floor doing the lying hip raises. A perfect replacement for me.

I added the Healthrider back in. I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but I tried holding on to it one handed instead of stressing the right shoulder's rotator cuff. This worked great and probably has the added benefit of doing a bit more workout on my left side, which is weaker than the right.

And finally, at the very end, I added some no weight squats holding on to the chair again. This was just a little something to add on to ensure I completely killed the legs. I'll be surprised if I'm not really sore tomorrow.

I bought a new thing of whey protein. I didn't realize how much protein it had in one scoop until after I made the post WO shake. Too much protein in the shake, so I'll have to use a TBS to measure it next time.
  #306   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-07, 21:40

weight 229.4
pre workout: shake, 27g carbs, 15g protein

Chest Press - 1x10, 2 plates (warmup); 1x2, 4 plates (99 lbs resistance); 3x10, 3 plates (70 lbs resistance)
Pec Deck Fly - 1x10, 1 plate (warmup), 3x10, 1 plate + 2 lbs (~13+ lbs resistance)
Arnies - 3x10, 8 lbs
Dumbbell Front Raises - 4x10, 8 lbs
Triceps Extensions - 3x8, 13 lb dumbbell both hands
treadmill - 5 mins
stretches
Time - 35 mins

Followed by shake:
1/2 scoop whey protein (13g protein)
3 TBS hardgainer mix (27g carbs, 15g protein)

Good workout tonight, but still too late in the evening. It also had been 6 days since I did this WO and I could tell. I was really having to push. It's really slow going on the flyes...I'm not able to add much weight yet. I tried 4 pates on the chest press and was able to do 2 of them, but knew it was still too much weight so dropped it back down. By the time I got to the arnies, my arms were really tired and I had to push to finish everything.
  #307   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-07, 21:35

Weight 228.2
pre workout: shake w/18g carbs, 10g protein

Close Grip Pull Down - 1x15, 2 plates (warmup), 3x10, 4 plates (60 lbs resistance), 1x10, 4+ plates (62+ lbs resistance)
Wide Grip Pull Down - 2x10, 4 plates (60 lbs resistance), 2x10, 4+ plates (62+ lbs resistance)
Lat Raises - 3x6, 7 lb dumbbell each hand
Straight Back Seated row - 3x8 3 plates (54 lbs resistance)
treadmill - 5 mins
stretches
Time - 30 mins

Followed by shake:
1/2 scoop whey protein (1g carb, 13g protein)
squirt of Davinci's root beer syrup

Well, my shoulder was bothering me even before I started the workout. I thought I would still be able to do it, but I only got about half way before I decided I better not push it any more. What I did get done was good. I've been working too many hours, sitting at the computer this week and it shows. I like my new job, but there is a lot to get done to get it organized. I'll try to get back to sane work days next week.
  #308   ^
Old Sat, Aug-11-07, 16:57

weight 228.8
pre workout: Bob Evans chicken salad plate (only 1/3 of the fruit though), w/banana nut bread

Chest Press - 1x10, 2 plates (warmup); 1x4, 4 plates (99 lbs resistance); 1x8, 3 plates (70 lbs resistance)
Pec Deck Fly - 1x12, 1 plate (warmup), 3x10, 1 plate + 2 lbs (~13+ lbs resistance)
Arnies - 1x8, 10 lbs (warmup), 3x8, 12 lbs each hand
Dumbbell Front Raises - 2x8, 10 lbs (warmup), 1x8, 12 lbs and 1x8, 15 lbs (each hand)
Triceps Extensions - 3x8, 15 lb DB both hands
treadmill - 5 mins
stretches
Time - 40 mins

Followed by shake:
1 scoop whey protein (2g carbs, 26g protein)
1 TBS chocolate hardgainer mix (9g carbs, 5g protein)
sprinkle of nusalt, sprinkle of cinnamon
squirt of Davinci's root beer syrup

An ok workout. Started dropping the reps down/weights up. Chest press is coming along... last time I could only do 2 reps with 4 plates.

Still not ready for the next plate on the flys (each plate is 12 lbs), but instead of the 2 lbs of ankle weights on top of the 1st plate, next time I'll put on the 5 lb ankle weight. Not exactly sure what that resistance is with those ankle weights added, though.

Arnies were good at 12 lbs... still a little shaky on those last few reps.

Front raises were just added recently, so still determining the right weight. 15 lbs each hand was good. I might still be able to go higher next time.

Tris were good at 15 lbs. I think the heavier weight made me go a little too fast. I didn't have the burn like I've had the last few times, so need to stay here next time and go slower.

Ok, so I know I'm going to be changing my workout, but I wanted to finish up this weekend with what I've been doing. So tomorrow is LB and then after that I'll change it up.
  #309   ^
Old Sat, Aug-11-07, 17:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 308/308/200 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:
Progress: 0%

wow. reading your work out program. it rocks !
  #310   ^
Old Sun, Aug-12-07, 12:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 308/308/200 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:
Progress: 0%

thanks for suggesting i do a work out log. i will have to take time to figure out how to do it.

thanks
  #311   ^
Old Sun, Aug-12-07, 19:28

weight 229.2
pre workout: shake w/7g carbs, 16g protein

Squats - 2x10, no weight, 2x10, 10 lb DB at chest
Leg Extension - 3x10, 5 lb ankle weights
Standing Leg Curls - 3x8, 3 plates (54 lbs resistance)
Calf Raise - 4x10, 10 lb DB each hand
Seated Crunch - 1x30, 3 plates
Healthrider - 3x30
Treadmill, 5 mins
stretches
Time - 50 mins

Followed by shake:
1/2 scoop whey protein (13 g)
2 tsp chocolate hardgainer mix (6g carbs, 3g protein)
1 tsp glutamine, squirt of DaVinci's root beer syrup
sprinkle of NuSalt, sprinkle of cinnamon

Good WO tonight. I had a small piece of cheesecake and some fruit salad at my niece's bridal shower this afternoon, so didn't add carbs to the Pre-WO shake.

Squats were good. Doing 2 warm ups before adding the weight is helping. I also tried holding the DB at my chest and that was much better. Went up another plate on the leg curls. Don't think I can go much higher on the leg curls with this gym. It's just awkward having to do them standing. I should probably find something else...

I started to do the crunches and then remembered that thread on computer guy over at T-nation doesn't recommend these for my posture issues. I'm going to be changing what I do starting this week anyway...

Did the healthrider using only the left arm/hand, trying not to put exta work on the right shoulder. This is working, but I'm limited to the amount I can do because the arm is getting tired.
  #312   ^
Old Tue, Aug-14-07, 21:39

Forgot to post that I did 15 minutes on the treadmill yesterday.

weight 228.4
pre workout: dinner 2 hrs before, chicken, cottage cheese, cucumber

Arnies - 3x8, 12 lbs
Side Lat Raises - 3x8, 5 lbs
DB Bench Press - 3x8, 5 lbs
Seated Rows - 3x8, 3 plates (54 lbs resistance)
Triceps Extensions - 2x8, 15 lb DB both hands
treadmill - 5 mins
stretches
Time - 40 mins

Followed by shake:
1/2 scoop whey protein (1g carbs, 13g protein)
1 tsp chocolate hardgainer mix (3g carbs, 2g protein)
sprinkle of nusalt, squirt of Davinci's root beer syrup

Not the greatest workout... too late at night I guess. And my shoulder has been hurting all day. I changed things up a bit, but messed up on some of the things I wanted to do. I tried the DB bench press and don't like doing it. I didn't know what weight to start with, so I started small. I'll keep trying for awhile.
  #313   ^
Old Wed, Aug-15-07, 04:37
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

Hey D, if you *really* don't like the DB bench--it's bugging your shoulder?--you can go back to the machine press for a while. You can always go back to the DB presses when your shoulder's better.

Which reminds me, do you think you should stop all shoulder work completely for a bit, until you're healed?
  #314   ^
Old Wed, Aug-15-07, 18:33

It's the oddest thing with the shoulder. It's not hurting at all today.

On the bench press, it wasn't the shoulder, it was the inner ear problem. I know this is better for me than the machine press, so I'll try a few more times. Thanks Dane!
  #315   ^
Old Thu, Aug-16-07, 21:14

weight 226.0
pre workout: dinner - caesar's salad, steak, broccoli, rolls, butter

Goblet Squats - 2x10, no weight, 2x10, 10 lb DB at chest
DB RDLs - 3x8, 10 lbs each hand
Standing Leg Curls - 2x6, 3 plates (54 lbs resistance)
Calf Raise - 3x8, 10 lb DB each hand
Seated leg-hip raise - 1x3
Treadmill, 5 mins
stretches
Time - 40 mins

Followed by shake:
1/2 scoop whey protein (13 g)
1.5 tsp chocolate hardgainer mix (4g carbs, 2g protein)
1 tsp glutamine, squirt of DaVinci's root beer syrup
sprinkle of NuSalt

Great workout tonight. Squats were really low. I felt like my thighs touched my calves... I know my shorts did. RDLs are new tonight. At the time, I could feel 'em working, but more in my calves than my hams. I think I can feel something even now with the hams, though.

The calf raises were harder than normal, I assume it was because of the RDLs. Leg curls aren't working because of this gym. I think I'll have to find something else for those. I was so worn out I decided not to do the leg extensions. And I've decided the ab work is just too hard right now... still too much body weight.