Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 23:35
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 199/204/110 Female 5'0"
BF:
Progress: -6%
Unhappy Has anyone been tested by Dr. S?

I am into my 4th week on SPI, following the 4 week healing diet, and just got the SPII book. I now see from starting that book that I am very sick and this is not going to be easy. The principles make complete sense and I have accepted that I may put on wt. before I lose it. Right now losing wt. is not my goal. It's to get some strength and well-being. I have been non-functional for years, especially since I had to have most of my liver removed due to a tumor in '98. All my doctors gave up on me. I have arranged my life so that this year is set aside for working this program to try to heal. Coming up...big stressor...my son is going to Iraq and I am terrifed I will collapse from stress. I have to get better soon.

I am really struggling to keep my blood sugar up and I am very weak, sad and exhausted. I felt much better on and off before I started, but I am acutely aware that I was coming to the end of my rope. Several times over the last few years I nearly died from heart glitches and anaphylactic shock. SP is the first and only sense and answers I have found as to why I, as a life long vegetarian, got up to 200 lbs and stayed so sick. I ate a perfect veggie diet, including fasting, juicing, and wheatgrass and raw foods. I just got sicker. Hypoglycemia, fibromyalgia, CFS, MFPS, depression, relentless severe edema...and I've seen so many doctors I can't count..to no avail. One great thing has happened..my edema is gone for the first time in over 15 years.

I have not cheated once and I am very tightly controlling my carbs. Nonetheless, I am crashing constantly and feel wretched. I think I have to get tested by Dr. Schwarzbein, but it is almost outside my budget. Has anyone been tested and did you think it was worth it? As far as helping you work the program so that you could stay functional and make progress? I am trying to learn how to self medicate, but I have bad reactions nearly every time I eat...fatigue, palpitations, upset stomach, acid reflux big time, headaches. Not that any of this is new, just that now i see immediately how tied these symptoms are to eating now that I have gotten off carbs and sodas they way I used to use them to keep my blood sugar up.

Please please write me back if you got the test...it's going to put us in the hole and I need to make an informed decision. Also, does she prescribe hormones if you need them?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 12:05

Plan: schwarzbein/atkins
Stats: 200/175/130
BF:?
Progress: 36%

Hi Ivorybow, I am very anxious to hear from anyone who has been tested by Schwarzbein. I really want to get it done but no one on this board seems to have done it. Like you, I feel that her plan is the best lifelong eating plan out there.

If there is anyone who has been tested please reply!!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 12:25
Registered Member

BF:
Default I emailed Dr. S

Last Friday I emailed Dr. S to find out if the test would expose me to chemicals, as I have severe chemical sensitivities. I have not heard back from her. I have made some calls this morning to try to find someone here in Austin who knows how to support this diet, but not so far. Dr.S doesn't yet have a list of physicians who support the program. I will let you know what I find out.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 17:32
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Ivorybow:

I got tested, but I did it through a private lab. I personally feel the cost at the SP site is outrageous. You can find the saliva tests online much cheaper, and the lab will give you a summary of your results (although it doesn't take a rocket scientist to interpret them). If you do a search, there is a link somewhere posted by MsJinx that listed some online sites. As for the insulin test, you can get that through your doctor.

I'm glad I got the test. What I mistook for burnt out adrenals was in fact very high estrogen levels (I got a full hormone panel done). It really surprised me and helped direct me on the correct path to help my hormones.

Your history sounds very close to mine so I really feel for you. I also have chemical sensitivities. There's no problem with the test, you just spit into a tube.

Hope this helps.

Wanda
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 21:41
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Wanda,
Thank you very much for this information. I have been calling around town to try to find a dr. who does this, but no luck. I posted to MsJinx...oddly enuf she lives in the same city I do. I could not find any references in any of her posts, so hopefully she will answer and point me to some resources. Thank you again.
carolyn
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 07:17
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Ivorybow:

Unfortunately, Jinxy isn't around anymore. I'd do a search for you, but things are really hectic on my end right now. I know it's in the past posts on the SP forum from back in the summer. If not, you'll find lots online if you just plug in "saliva test" into a search engine.

As for a doctor, I would think it very difficult to find. I don't think SP's that mainstream yet, but who knows. What about looking for a holistic doctor? With your set of problems, I'm not sure mainstream medicine is the best route, speaking from personal experience. My holistic doctor is open to anything I bring his way and he/she may be more likely to have read her book, at least.

HTH,
Wanda
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 08:43

Plan: SPII, IR/BOA
Stats: 267/233/170 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 35%

Ivorybow,

This is where I got mine done.

Aeron LifeCycles Laboratory
1933 Davis St., Suite 310
San Leandro, CA 94577-1259
800-631-7900
http://www.aeron.com

I got the impression that they did them without a doctor's script. If not maybe they can refer you to someone who can do it without.

Good luck.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 12:09
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 171/154/150 Female 5'9"
BF:??/18.8/??
Progress: 81%

Thanks for the info, Wanda. My doctor didn't want to test my adrenals, saying that I "looked fine" and she'd "be able to tell if something was wrong." So I've always wanted to get the tests, but thought they were too expensive. Didn't realize this was something I could order over the internet and do at home!

For a search, might I suggest that folks add "hormones" to "saliva test", or you'll end up with a whole lot of drug testing kits (test your kids! test yourself before your employer does!). Lo and behold, the first site on my search was

www.salivatest.com

Looks like it's $30 per hormone tested, with a minimum of two hormones.

Thanks again,
Lyressa
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 12:44
Registered Member

BF:

You know, after looking around the net, and here at home too, I have seen that Dr. S's test panel is not over priced, especially since it also includes bloodwork for insulin and a consultation. I think I am going to go that way. The insulin level test seems to me to be critical.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 15:46
Mad Scientist

BF:

I forget that's another test you have to pay for (in Canada, there's no charge for an insulin test). Good luck and let us know what you think (as well as your results).

Sunski, thanks for further clarifying the search info. I was being very hastey. The beauty of the saliva test is its simplicity. Good luck!

Msk, you're absolutely right. Some sites on the net won't sell the kits to non-physicians, but there are others that sell the kits to the public b/c the lab has someone read the results for you. The latter is perfectly suited to someone following SP.

Wanda

Last edited by wcollier : Thu, Feb-05-04 at 15:53.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 23:38
Registered Member

BF:
Default I purchased Dr. S's tests

I finally decided to go with Dr. S's tests. I did a lot of calling and a lot of surfing, and by the time I could have put together a package like hers, there was no savings. And hers include the blood work. It was very easy to do from her website. I have to keep a detailed food and mood journal for a week. Meanwhile they are shipping me the materials. I will have a phone consultation with her and then with a nutritional counselor after they read the tests and my paperwork. I feel better about this in the long run because I am in such bad shape. I dont' want to be wasting time and effort if I am not doing it properly. I will post when I get the test kit and let you all know what is in it. So far I downloaded a 15 page document to get started.

Thanks,
carolyn
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 08:01
Mad Scientist

BF:

Good for you Carolyn! Do what you have to do to get better. What's the price of some tests when your quality of life is non-existant? At least, that's how I felt when I was suffering. You'll do ANYTHING! If you read the first page of my journal, you'll know how much we have in common, although you sound in worse shape.

Get well!

Wanda
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-04, 10:58

Plan: SP2
Stats: 160/155/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 25%

Hi to all.

I've sent my test into Dr. Schwarzbein. And I'm expecting my results back soon. If they put anywhere near the time into interpeting my tests as I put into filling out the forms (food, mood and exercise diary, supplements, meds, health, etc) it should be a very thorough analysis indeed.

I am an active person with only a little weight to lose. I think health is the most important component in my quality of life. I don't know why it took reading TSP for me to realize eating a healthy balanced diet of fresh organic food was a good idea. It seems obvious in retrospect.

I've been doing this since about Thanksgiving and have lost 5 lbs.

Anyway, when I receive the results I will let you know the format they use for the analysis and what I think of the whole process.

Carol
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 10:02

Plan: Starting sp
Stats: 120/124/110 Female 62 in
BF:
Progress:
Default I've been tested from Swarzbein

I'm just now reading your posts. I purchased the largest package on Swarzbein's online testing. I had both the insuline and my adrenaline glands tested. After, Dr. Swarzbein herself called me to go over the results w/ me.
After that, the dietitan called and discussed diet, supplements, & exercise plan w/ me.

The whole experience was well worth the money. Before my phone calls, the office faxed over my complete results and a detailed outline of custom recommendations. They were similar to the book; however, they varied in that they were tailored to my exact test results and supposably will provide me with faster results.

Dr. Swarzbein spent was more than generous w/ her time w/ me. She was suppose to only talk 1/2 hour - but we talked over 45min. She went in depth about the specifics of my results. All the while, she allowed me to ask as many questions as I had (and I had a lot). We talked about everything from my diet, stress, exercise, supplements....etc. I felt so much better after talking to her. It was well worth the money - if you ask me and I would recommend it to anyone.

Note* I was diagnosed as being insulin insensitive w/ burned out glands. The interesting thing about the test is that there are various stages of being burned out: beginning, intermeditate, and completely burned out. They provide you w/ a special program that's custom to your test results.

The dietitan was also really helpful. It was helpful to go over what I'm currently eating and ask her questions as well.

While talking to the Dr., I asked her if she knew of someone who could offer me support throughout the program.
She gave me the name of a great dietitan who works in LA and follows the programs herself. I've since been calling her once/month. She is wonderful - gives me support , and makes sure I'm staying on track. This girl is great...and I would also recommend her as well.

If you guys have any more questions about my online experience, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,
Rene
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 11:04
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you for you detailed reply. I finally broke down and ordered the largest test too. I am having such a hard time and there is no one here I could find to help me and test me. I have just started the paper work. I will post my experience.
carolyn