Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-02, 18:22
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins - General Lo-Carb
Stats: 270/270/170 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 0%
Exclamation Nut Addiction!

<font size="3">Hi, my name is ANJ and I am a newcomer to the board. From reading the various messages I see there is a wealth of information here and I am glad for that.

I started a low carb diet for overeaters early July, then I discovered the Atkins diet around June from picking up his new edition of Diet Revolution in the book store. I read and saw how similar his diet was to the low carb plan I was already on except that his was a little more strict. The other diet allowed only one piece of fruit a day and beans were allowed in moderation for the first phase of the diet.

The Atkins as most of you know does not allow any of those foods during induction and I managed to stay away from those foods and keep a disciplined schedule for awhile. I am still on Atkins BUT I have been "cheating" with eating beans here and there and LOTS of nuts.

Once I eat nuts they are hard to put down and I soon forget about how rich they are in just about everything...and they can be rich in carbs when eaten in large amounts. I find that nuts are the easiest snack to eat while I am in school and surrounded by inappropriate food in the food court and nearby eateries off campus.

Is it possible to overeat nuts and what kinds of consequences other than gaining weight do they create? I heard that they can cause constipation, stomach pains and so forth when eaten in large amounts.

A large amount to me would be like a regular can of nuts (available in supermarkets) eaten over the course of 1-3 days. (Planters Mixed nuts with less than 50% peanuts).

They are so addictive and since I've always had sugar and food addictions I think I may have traded in sugar addiction to nut addiction.

Has anyone else experienced eating too many nuts and if so how did you resolve it during the induction phase. I want to stay on the induction phase until I lose about 40-50 more lbs.

<b>ANJ</b></font>
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-26-02, 15:50
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170.6/163.2/145
BF:
Progress: 29%

ANJ-

I am still a newbie, but thought I might be able to help....

***Move away from the nuts, I repeat, move away from the nuts***

I too am having a hard time with nuts. I did great during my 1st 2 weeks of induction (5 pounds) and since then I have spent the past week pretty much staying the same. The only reason I can think for the stall? ----da da da da! NUTS! I have been addicted to almonds and cashews here at work. In fact, they call my name as I type this message. I just keep pretending I don't see them and long for the crunchiness....mmmm....

I bet, you watch....give me 1 week no nuts, I will lose again!!!

So, stay away from them for a while completely, as we both know that you can't jsut have one!

Thats my advice.

Stacy
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-26-02, 16:41
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/170/160
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Nuts

What about just planed shelled walnuts? Are Pine Nuts acceptable? They both seem to be low in carbs once you deduct the fibre. I also miss the crunchiness. Anything beside pork rinds. for crispiness?
I love anything crisoy and everything on this WOE seems to be soft and mushy.
Some suggestions please.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-02, 00:10
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
I am in school and surrounded by inappropriate food in the food court and nearby eateries off campus.

You can carry cans or ziploc pouches of fish and a fork, pork rinds, pickled eggs, cheese, celery sticks, jerky...Then you would be surrounding yourself with appropriate foods.

Quote:
They are so addictive and since I've always had sugar and food addictions I think I may have traded in sugar addiction to nut addiction.

It's not pretty, but the only way to get beyond any addiction is to stop doing what you're addicted to. It's not easy but we can change our actions and behaviors.

I think it might be useful to take a breather and decide what plan you actually want to follow. If you find Atkins too limiting, click on "What Plan is Right for Me?" on the right side of the page. For low-carbing of any kind to be a permanent change you need patience and perseverance. Put long term health and sanity as your primary goal before any numbers on the scale.

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Sep-28-02, 03:00
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins - General Lo-Carb
Stats: 270/270/170 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 0%
Arrow Thanks for the replies

Actually I feel the Atkin's diet is just right for me. I am just going through an adjustment stage still as I have only been with the Atkins program since July.

I realize that discipline will come through as I get more comfortable with experience of learning and training myself through atkins.

I am not usually a fan of pork but once in a blue moon I will have some pork rinds and bring some boiled eggs with me to eat in between classes. I tend to choose stir fried vegetables at a local eatery when I have the extra money

How long have all of you been with your particular low carb regimen and has your experience been like?
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Sep-28-02, 08:53
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Three years and it's just the way I eat now.

It's been a combination of heaven and hell. Learning new habits and recovering from food addiction has been the best thing I've ever done for myself. I feel quite sane about it all now.

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Nov-14-02, 03:03
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Nut Addiction!

I think it does matter which kind of nut you're eating, too. Obviously, peanuts and cashews, because they're not true nuts, are a bigger problem than walnuts or macadamias. Once you subtract the fiber, walnuts have only 2 carbs/quarter cup, and provide a nice bit of fiber and omega-3 fatty acids. (People seldom talk about the omega-3 in inexpensive foods, like walnuts and eggs.)

I read the Atkins book cover to cover and back again and still find that there were tidbits I missed. It helps to have friends on the diet because everybody remembers different parts and we can share the bits we remember. This is my first day on this forum and I am learning much that I never got from reading the book, or that I read and forgot.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Nov-14-02, 12:19
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%
Default Portion control

The problem with nuts is not so much the nuts themselves being a staller, but they are a problem because they are so calorie dense and the portions must be controlled. ANJ, obviously you feel this is the issue for you.

Fred Pescatore (in Thin for Good) suggests that when eating nuts for a snack to curb hunger you should only have 5 or 6 .... and then wait. His point is that 5-6 nuts have adequate energy value to do the trick...but that we normally eat three handfuls before they've even made it to our stomach! I tried his suggestion and it worked!! (I usually eat pecans or almonds.) So perhaps if you were just more disciplined about how many nuts you take along with you and then try this, maybe it would help.

Good luck!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Dec-14-02, 01:54
Carol CA

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I can SO relate to the nut addiction! I love nuts! But I know NO control. Recently I drove from Central California to Central Oregon. Since a car accident back in 1995, I've been a very nervous driver. I went through a LARGE bag of almonds on the way up there... and another one on the way home. Comfort food. Not too comforting when I got home and found my weight had gone up by three pounds. As of the second week in November, I've given them up entirely. I just can't be trusted to eat them in moderation. Giving them up, though, didn't make me lose any weight. I'm STILL stalled. Pretty frustrating! I WANT MY NUTS BACK! Nope. Can't go there!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Dec-15-02, 10:28

Plan: atkins
Stats: 206.0/196.5/140
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default Nuts...

I have found that Macadamia nuts have helped me thru sometimes when I feel the urge to snack...they are low in carbs and high in fiber...and even though having just a couple is hard, it is what gets me thru sometimes...

Good luck to us all!!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Dec-16-02, 08:08

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 125/125/125 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 59%

Nuts in the shell is the answer for me. I just bought a big bag of mixed nuts (I love the Brazil nuts!). I've gotten really funny about cracking nuts. I take it as a personal challenge to get the nut out whole, then I savor each one. Enjoy the process, and eat less.

Tami
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jan-03-03, 11:22

Plan: general
Stats: 172/150/135
BF:
Progress: 59%
Default nutty girls

Hi all-

I eat pistachios almost every day. I try to control myself & my portions by weighing 1oz of nuts in the shell & then putting them in a snack-sized ziploc bag. Then I can take them to work or to the sofa if I want with my "allotment".

Could as little as an ounce per day be 'feeding' (excuse the pun) the stall I seem to be in ??
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-03, 16:11
Registered Member

Plan: Neanderthin
Stats: 222/199/175
BF:
Progress: 49%

Hi

Ok , I'll give up the nuts. I was eating about 1 1/2 cups a day of unsalted roasted almonds.

Would pork rinds be ok ?

chris
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 09:33

Plan: Careful Low Carb Plan
Stats: 335/295/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 26%

Puffy,
That's quite a bit of nuts for one day's allotment. From fitday.com I looked up 1 cup of almonds...11 ECC carbs, 824 calories, 30 grams protein, and 73 grams fat. So make it 1 1/2 cups and you're adding 17.5 carbs and 1236 calories to your day.

I have had to stay away from salted nuts. I buy raw, unsalted almonds or walnuts and measure out 1/4 cup or so. Sometimes I like putting almonds in recipes. But eating them as a snack can be hard to control the amount eaten. I think it all depends on your level of control, and adjusting your eating accordingly. Victoria
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 20:58
Registered Member

Plan: Neanderthin
Stats: 222/199/175
BF:
Progress: 49%

Victoria

Yes it's alot, but I was still losing. Now I'am down to 20 to 30 almonds a day. The almounds I buy are dry roasted, I'll buy about $20 dollars worth at the bulk store.. take about 2 weeks to finish them .then go 4 to 6 weeks before I get more. Variety is important and on the Neanderthin way of life I eat every 2 - 3 hours till I'am satisfied of any of the allowable foods.

chris