Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-08, 12:54

Plan: atkins
Stats: 171/000/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 814%
Default Are pork rinds acceptable for a daily snack?

I realln need crunchy and pork rinds work for me as a snack ? Can they be eaten during induction and two days in a row? Will that stall my first weeks weight loss?
Also what about buffalo wings?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-08, 13:03
Carb Nazi

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/255/160 Male 6'0
BF:YES!
Progress: 5%

Hi Chrysalis1:

Pork Rinds, one of God's greatest gifts to man, has nearly zero carbs and is a perfect food for Induction. Not only is in virtually carb-free, it is also high in Fat, the great combination that your body needs to get into ketosis! I dip them in french onion dip, salsa, or put cream cheese on them. Yumalicious.
Buffalo Wings are great as well, with one caution. Sometimes the sauce they have on them has sugar in it so be very careful. If you are buying them at the grocery store and making them, the carb content will be on the label. At a restaurant, you have to be careful. I usually just go with Mild or Hot or Lemon Pepper, and avoid Barbeque, Honey, or any other flavor that hints of sugar. Good Luck!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-08, 19:35
Registered Member

Plan: all meat low starchy veg
Stats: 130/125/120 Male 178 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

I bought one bag from lucky's and it only has 120mg sodium per serving!!!! (1/4oz)
When I was looking for it..I looked for carb first, sugar second and sodium third
and this one contains the lowest of those stuff
I was expecting for it to taste salty...but turns out they taste really light...well there's a tiny little bit of flavor but wasnt anything near salt~!
its name = Fararon... I saw they also have a tortilla chips with 10 carb per piece( it was a big one...like size of my 2 hands) but i didnt get that one since 10 carb is really alot for whole day long...

Last edited by kekeland : Fri, Aug-08-08 at 19:41.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-08, 02:10

Stats: 271/269/154 Female 5 feet, 6 inches
BF:43.7/..../24.9
Progress: 2%

Skip the tortillas for now. I can't stand the pork rinds, but others consider them salvation.

For later on, I found some 3 carb tortillas that I eat on those occasions that I need something bread-like. Brand is "Old Tortilla Factory." Mission has a 4 carb whole wheat tortilla, too. But I don't know if either is available in your area.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-08, 12:38
Registered Member

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 174/150/125 Female 5 foot 3
BF:
Progress: 49%

i think they are
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-09, 16:07

Plan: Just low carb, no plan
Stats: 230/216/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 18%

You know, I can't stand pork rinds either, BUT! I did try them with tuna fish once and actually, that wasn't a bad snack at all.

I don't eat it often, but if I'm having movie night with my kids and their crunchin' on popcorn and I want a super low carb snack, I'll get out the pork rinds and tuna.

Toni
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-10-10, 21:44

Plan: carb cycling
Stats: 269/217/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:

I absolutely love pork rinds but I do worry that it contributes to stalls, probably because of the sodium. I have heard comments to that effect in various threads. They are great with cream cheese and tuna fish too.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-11-10, 00:01

Stats: 191/191/150 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 0%

I just read a post that listed this recipe and I tried it and it was Awesome excecpt that it got me craving carbs... Everybody is different though if you want to try...

Pour a small amount of melted butter over the pork rinds and mix in a cinammon and sugar bath....

They taste awesome!!!!

And still 0 carbs ... I think just the sweetness of it set me off
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-26-10, 14:17

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Pork rinds were actually something that I had as a snack when I was a kid. When I am in the mood for some pork rinds, I have me some pork rinds. But, like any other food, don't eat it everyday just because you can. You will make yourself sick of pork rinds and that would be a travesty. Enjoy them for what they are, a wonderful snack.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-26-10, 14:35

Plan: NANY
Stats: 503/405/175 Male 72 inches
BF:plenty :)
Progress: 30%

i had forgotten about pork rinds, I will have to add them to the grocery list.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, May-26-10, 20:13
Registered Member

Stats: 210.5/181/145 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 45%

I like to take cream cheese, softened and mix in a tablespoon of salsa and dip them. That is what I have when my family is eating chips and dip.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jul-22-10, 20:07

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

I eat pork rinds every few days. But, the day before my weigh in, I dont eat them or anything high in salt. It doesn't actually stall weight loss, it just causes water retention. I dip them in sour cream, ranch dressing and salsa. Some dip it in guacamoli, I've never heard of the tuna, but, I used to make tuna salad and scoop it out with crackers. The pork rinds would work perfect for that!

I avoid the bar-b-q flavors, there 1-2 carbs perserving and its easy to eat alot. The hot or the regular flavors are o carbs. I just with they made them with less sodium..

Watch the carbs on what you dip them in, that can add up fast too.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Oct-18-10, 04:07
Registered Member

Plan: own
Stats: 184/141/132 Female 61
BF:
Progress: 83%

I also grew up eating pork rinds for a snack but hadn't thought about them as a food I can eat on this plan.

Out to buy pork rinds and try them with some of the dips mentioned!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Nov-08-10, 14:46
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 138/129/115 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress:

I remember when I was a kid, my parents went on a low carb diet and had pork rinds. I loved them then and I love them now. I usually pour some tabasco sauce on them for some spicyness. I was glad to discover that they were low in carbs because I used to love chips and tortillas and pork rinds made it easier. -Serif

Last edited by Rosebud : Mon, Nov-08-10 at 15:49. Reason: Advertising link removed
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jan-21-11, 15:02

Plan: atkins
Stats: 168/161/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 21%

I used pork grinds in place of bread crumbs for a different taste on chicken, pork in stuffed peppers...I love them!

Just place in zip lock bag and crush