Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-23-06, 10:57

Plan: South Beach-esque
Stats: 194/159/140 Female 5'3"
BF:34% / 28% / 20%
Progress: 65%
Default Who's Had An Illness Break A Long Stall - And, Thoughts On Why?

I've had a remarkable experience recently... have been one of those people who watches calories and carbs and gains or stays the same weight in defiance of the math almost always. My whole adult life.

Recently a stall broke bigtime for me, and it's left me really curious about the mechanisms - detox? Activation of some pathway? I went from the low-170s to the low 160s in about a month with no notable change in diet (which was low cal and low carb to begin with).

Basically, I'm sensitive to epinephrine in dental anesthetics - I wind up tired and feeling flu-ishly sluggish for days. I had some work done on my teeth in October for which copious amounts of epinephrine-free dental anesthetic didn't take (that happens with me too) and they had to resort to using some epinephrine in the mix.

I made it to work the next day but got little done, felt awful. That was a Friday. Did little but feel ill on the Saturday, Sunday, called in sick Monday AND Tuesday. My food intake really didn't change notably during that time. *After* that as I started to feel more human, my weight started to drop and within a couple days a small, few-months-old slightly raised abdominal scar briefly started, uh, purging some substance around the stitches (I'm probably sensitive to the stitching material) and then flattening and healing better than it had been - out of the blue.

Other things that changed around the time that I was home feeling ill:

-I started taking my thyroid hormone supplement meds at night vs. in the a.m. (though in the past I've tried this and it made no difference)

-Tried out a non-aluminum deodorant

-Started drinking Fuze Slenderize beverages (negligible cals/carbs), which have some chromium, L-carnitine, SuperCitriMax and vitamin C, but not that much (and I've tried all those supplements before in greater quantity)

Given the weight loss experience, which has taken me from a size 14 to 10 in pants, I'm now sticking with the nightime thyroid dosing, Fuze Slenderize and non-aluminum deodorant just in case any one of those things have anything to do with the weight loss!

Sorry so long a post - but this sort of experience makes me really wonder what's been happening - did the dental anesthetic experience reboot my adrenals or put my body's detoxing systems into overdrive, kill off unfavorable bacteria or some yeast, or what?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-25-07, 20:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 128/116/116 Female 5 feet, 1 inch
BF:
Progress: 100%

I just had a tiny Ptosis surgery on my left eye yesterday. They gave me 2 Valiums yesterday at 2:15pm to prepare me for surgery. I had only had a hamburger patty with a slice of cheese for breakfast and a handful of peanuts for lunch before surgery. I was too nervous to eat more. After surgery I got home and passed out till about midnight. I woke up, had some diet orange soda and a slice of ham and went back to sleep. Woke up at 8:00am and I lost 2 pounds! I think the weight loss was do to the fact that I wasn't hungry and didn't eat anything while zonked out on Valium.