Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-10, 21:23

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%
Default Am I in a stall?

Using the Q&A from this sub-forum:

Am I really stalled or am I just being impatient?
I lost weight in weeks 3–4, which were the first two weeks I started exercising. I lost 5 lbs and 2 in. from the waist. It's now the end of week 9, and there's been zero further change.

Am I eating too much?
Dunno. See the attached food log file.

Am I eating too little?
Not a chance.

Have I been jumping from one plan to another?
No; I've done PPLP the entire 9 weeks

Is this my second, third, fourth attempt at low carbing with periods of high carb eating and weight re-gain in between?
Yup, 3rd time.

Have I really been following the plan?
I think so. See the attached food log file.

Am I exercising?
Yes, resistance 3x/wk, core 2x/wk, most weeks, for the past 7 weeks.

Have I been overusing low carb treats and products?
One week, I used low-carb tortillas, then realized that was a "slippery slope" item for me.

Have I ruled out all possible stallers?
Dunno. See the attached food log file. No thyroid, hormone, other medical problems I'm aware of. All my food is made from scratch, so it's unlikely that food additives and preservatives are playing a role.

Am I already at goal despite what the scale says?
I was 15 lbs lighter for 12 months out of the past 18, so I don't think so.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-03-10, 15:16
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

I had something like this happen to me on standard Atkins. I ditched dairy, and that helped. Bumped up my veggie intake, that also helped. Later on, discovered I was gluten-sensitive, so had to root that out of my menus as well. You wouldn't think there'd be too much in the way of gluten in a low-carb eating plan, but it was lurking in my salad dressing, in soy sauce and stuff like that.

This is not to say that this is what's happening to you - just sharing my experience here. Meanwhile, your intake looks like flawless Protein Power Life Plan - you've worked hard at this! Must be a bit frustrating to be feeling stalled.

I looked at your menus, and the only thing I can suggest is that you might want to go a bit more "Paleo-ish" or rather, to "Purist" version of PPLP for a little while, and see if that makes a difference. If you were to try this, you could eliminate peanut butter and and any peanuts or other legumes. You'd also maybe consider eliminating dairy foods for awhile, or sticking to just butter for a bit. I'd also suggest dill relish instead of sweet relish. Avoid anything 'sweet' that isn't from produce, if you can.

One last recommendation? I noticed something funny on vacation awhile back - eating berries for breakfast wasn't ideal for me. Not to say you wouldn't eat berries, but you might be better off with a more typical "Atkins-style" breakfast - such as eggs and sausage or something along those lines. This fits in with a very good article Demi posted:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=410126

Also - what's your Faux Malt-o-Meal made out of?

Finally - the exercise could be interfering with the scale. You might be losing fat, but it's not showing up on the scale, due to the resistance training. When I took up weight training, the scale almost seemed to stop, and "weight loss" slowed down. I dropped sizes though, but it took several weeks for that to start happening. It took me more than three months to lose about ten pounds (and I was trying really hard on the food front!), but I did drop a bunch of sizes in there too, so I was happy with that.

Hmm...I'm wondering if it's the weight training, and that maybe you don't really need to tinker with the food. Maybe give this one more month like it is? See if you drop another pants size or something in there.

Question - the last few times you've done PPLP, were you also doing weight training?

Hang in there - looks like you're really working at this.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-03-10, 23:21

Hi Citruskiss,

Thanks for the analysis.

I don't know where gluten could be lurking in my food. My soy sauce is wheat-free and reduced sodium. It's too cold to be eating salads yet, and my salad dressings are completely homemade, from scratch, starting with homemade olive-oil-based mayonnaise.

The peanut butter was an aberration, a binge-eating incident. Same for the sweet relish in the cole slaw. I've got a 12-step program for that. My wife won't even let me know if she's replaced the peanut butter, much less where it might be. I'll use dill relish in future batches of cole slaw.

The morning berries (high-ORAC types recommended by PPLP) are part of a high-fat meal, and total only 7 grams of carbs, along with 16g of fat from the coconut milk in the Faux Malto-Meal recipe.

Regarding the study summary you linked to, I don't believe that rat nutrition studies automatically apply to humans, since rats are primarily low-fat herbivores. Even the last line of the article states, "The authors said further tests were needed to check that the positive changes in rodents also work for humans." Besides, I'm avoiding sausage and cheese right now, in order to keep my potassium:sodium ratio at 2:1 or higher (paleo levels are estimated to have been 16:1 ). I eat 12g of protein within 2 hours of of the Faux Malto-Meal, but I could increase that some, since the PPLP charts say I should be getting 34g of protein per meal. The problem with increasing my protein is since I have only 15 lbs of fat left to lose, calories count (according to Dr. Eades), and I'm trying to stay around 1800, where I am now. I guess I could give up the yogurt (tzaziki), but that would lower the fat % of my plan to below 65%, where I need to be for the moderate-heavy level of weight training I do.

The comment about resistance training is interesting. My first two times on PPLP, I also did resistance training after 4 weeks of the food plan alone, and the exercise *seemed* to have no effect on my rate of weight and fat loss:
  • The first time, I lost 60 lbs in 3 mos. (steady 5 lbs/wk);
  • the second time I lost 70 lbs in 10 mos (mostly 1 lb/wk, then 20 in the last month, due to an emotional trauma)

My home scale also gives a BF% reading. While it may be inaccurate (+/- 3%), it's a good relative indicator. It hasn't changed since week 6, and I'm not losing any more inches, now, either, as I think I mentioned initially.

But if nature (age 48) and history (yo-yo weight loss/gain cycles) are hindering me (as Dr. Eades speculates ), then I guess I could adjust my attitude about what I'm supposed to weigh. My gut isn't that big, it's firm again, I fit into smaller clothes than I did 9 weeks ago, and I feel lots better.

Last edited by aj_cohn : Sun, Apr-04-10 at 08:00.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-04-10, 08:38
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

Quote:
But if nature (age 48) and history (yo-yo weight loss/gain cycles) are hindering me (as Dr. Eades speculates ), then I guess I could adjust my attitude about what I'm supposed to weigh. My gut isn't that big, it's firm again, I fit into smaller clothes than I did 9 weeks ago, and I feel lots better

I'm going to go and read that link you posted re: what Dr. Eades has to say about it, but in the meantime, I really think you are doing quite well.

I've had stints of just sort of 'coasting along', but I haven't really done the yo-yo thing (at least not since I started low-carbing), so I don't know how much of an effect this could potentially have. I've been guilty of plan jumping, and being a bit 'lax' (ie. coasting along) while on a plan and so on though.

Maybe it will just take a wee bit longer than it has in the past? I bet things will pick up speed soon.

ETA: That was a pretty good post from Dr. Eades, and some of the comments in there were quite good. Here are a couple of the comments that jumped out at me:

Quote:
I find that if I fall off the wagon it takes a week or two for the carb cravings to leave me. During that time, if I am eating to satisfy hunger, the issue becomes calories. And during this time, eating 1500 calories or less becomes very difficult. If my hunger is rearing its ugly head, 4oz. of any protein isn’t going to cut it. If I eat an average restaurant sized ny strip steak and salad with blue cheese dressing, it is probably close to 2000 calories. Once I am in the groove though, I may find I have to force myself to finish a small burger.

Even if you stay very low carb, if you are constantly in this resist craving phase of the diet because you blow it once a month, you can be consuming way more calories than you should. Is it possible this is the case for many people struggling with the diet?

One issue I have found confusing lately – if you look to the paleo side of low carb you often hear lean, lean, lean – I guess due to the presumption that originally protein sources were just that… lean. On this post I hear a lot of fat, fat, fat. When you did your photo food diary Dr. Mike, I noticed there was no cheese, whipped cream, butter or gloppy dressings of any kind. Was this an effort to stay away from dairy or extra fat? I’m asking because the fat issue can have a huge impact on calories and for women especially that may be a concern.

I think the Paleo folks have it wrong about the lean, lean lean. While it’s true that the meat of game animals (as we know them today) is leaner than lot-fed beef, Paleolithic man didn’t just eat the meat. He ate the brains, organs, marrow, and all the fat. In fact, the fatty cuts of meat and organs were the most desired. I think all the emphasis on the leanness of the Paleo diet by today’s writers on the subject come about as a result of their trying to make the Paleo diet fit in with today’s idea of what heart-healthy dieting is instead of reporting the Paleo diet as it really was. There are numerous charts in the literature showing that carcass fat is a function of animal size, meaning that the larger the animal, the more fat said animal contains. An elephant’s carcass has a much larger percentage of fat than does a rabbit’s. And one assumes the same would hold true for a mastodon, all of which were hunted to extinction by early man. In fact, most of the really large animals were hunted to extinction in prehistoric times. The animals left, which the Paleo guys use to show how lean they are, would have probably been ignored as a food source in prehistoric times because they weren’t fat enough, which is why they are still around today.

As to why I didn’t eat a lot of extra fat on my diet diary week…I eat the fat that naturally occurs on the foods I eat, which is plenty. Although I do eat it, I’m not a big fan of cheese, and since I don’t really know what kinds of fats are in various dressings, I usually avoid them. The one rule I really try to stick to is to not eat bad fats. And if I don’t know, I avoid it. ~as qtd. in comments posted in Dr. Michael Eades blog posting, "Why is low-carb harder the second time around?"

and:

Quote:
Dr. Eades, I noticed in your on-line food diary (which was very helpful, thank you for doing it) that you actually eat a fairly balanced diet, with lots of vegetables in addition to protein, and that you don’t eat very much. I am someone who has tried a lot of different diets, and when I came back around to low-carb this last time at first I just pigged out – huge steaks, lots of butter, bacon, cheese, nuts, etc. I had convinced myself somehow that not eating starches or sugars (I was very good about that) meant I could anything else, in any amount, from the permitted food list. Obviously, that did not result in meaningful weight loss. After reading your food diary, I followed your example and started eating reasonable portions of good quality protein, along with vegetables at every meal, including breakfast. And wine, of course, but I kept a very tight limit on snacks. That plan really worked, and I am very much enjoying it. If I am representative at all of other repeat low-carbers, I think it is important to remind oneself that it is not a free-for-all. I know it’s probably not the way everybody wants to think about it, but at least in the first few weeks of returning to low-carb to me it is important to remember that it is a diet, a restricted, disciplined food plan, and requires control and balance to be effective. The fact that it is so enjoyable is a plus, of course, but it’s not a never-ending banquet. After buckling down, I have finally started losing weight (I’m a middle aged woman), eight pounds in a month, and I’m grateful for that. I am also exercising quite a bit at the gym, and I believe that is a result of the low-carb diet too. Thanks again for doing the food diary – it was a great learning experience for me.

I’m glad you enjoyed the food diary. I guess I don’t eat very much, but I eat until I’m full. And I’m a fairly big guy (6′2″ 190 lbs) who is pretty active, and I maintain my weight nicely on the food regimen you saw. ~as qtd. in comments posted in Dr. Michael Eades blog posting, "Why is low-carb harder the second time around?"

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/...nd-time-around/

Very interesting! So true too, at least for me. I mentioned my own "coasting", and reading these blog comments remind me that my best weight loss periods basically boiled down to meat/fish/eggs/vegetables and not much else.

Last edited by Citruskiss : Sun, Apr-04-10 at 10:30.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-10, 06:57

Hi Citruskiss,

Thanks so much for following up with me (it was feeling a bit lonely here (despite nine views of my food log).

A consistent theme that seemed to be in both the quoted comments is that readers had to cut down on the absolute number of calories. I thought I had been doing that, but a review of my log reveals a yo-yo pattern of calories, particularly between weekends and weekdays. Some of that is due to the coconut oil I take every few days, for its multitude of benefits:
  • anti-viral
  • anti-bacterial
  • anti-fungal
  • skin health

Some of it, however, was just anxiety snacking. I will just have to work my 12-step program more rigorously each evening in order to keep my calorie count down.

Interestingly, this weekend, I increased my protein intake. Increasing it just 1–2 oz. per meal (getting 80–85g/day) made a big difference in my immediate satiety, the time I could go comfortably between meals, and my after-dinner "munchies." I'm going to continue that change for this week.

Also this weekend, apparently on Sat. (I weighed on Fri. and Sun), I lost 3-4 lbs.! I didn't notice, because I wasn't in the bathroom all day, but repeated readings on Sun. and this morning confirm the loss. I may be having anxiety-related weight loss due to stuff going on at work; I've had that happen before. I usually wait seven days from the first lowered reading to ensure the loss is real, but I may have broken through my supposed stall.

Thanks again for responding to my request for help.